Good Bye Stretch!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Good Bye Stretch!

Post by Wartstein »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:37 am
I picked up the V-Toku2 Stretch 2 last month.. I like it. Based on reading this thread, I ordered a VG10 Stretch from BBS (thanks for the tip that these are still in stock!) and..I really like it. Despite having only a few minor changes, the two seem almost like different knives to me. My preference would have go to the Stretch over the Stretch 2. The original handle fits so comfortably and I love how the "hook" at the end secures the hand. I also like the slightly pointier blade shape of the Stretch. The only thing that I do like better about the Stretch 2 would be the deeper index finger choil, but the shallower choil of the Stretch is sufficiently functional that it doesn't sway my overall opinion, giving preference to the original Stretch design.

I suppose it's all subjective really.. both are fantastic knives and I don't think that you can go wrong with either.
Doesn't surprise me at all! And you you'll like it even more the more you use it I bet... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:59 am
DSH007 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:37 am
I picked up the V-Toku2 Stretch 2 last month.. I like it. Based on reading this thread, I ordered a VG10 Stretch from BBS (thanks for the tip that these are still in stock!) and..I really like it. Despite having only a few minor changes, the two seem almost like different knives to me. My preference would have go to the Stretch over the Stretch 2. The original handle fits so comfortably and I love how the "hook" at the end secures the hand. I also like the slightly pointier blade shape of the Stretch. The only thing that I do like better about the Stretch 2 would be the deeper index finger choil, but the shallower choil of the Stretch is sufficiently functional that it doesn't sway my overall opinion, giving preference to the original Stretch design.

I suppose it's all subjective really.. both are fantastic knives and I don't think that you can go wrong with either.
Doesn't surprise me at all! And you you'll like it even more the more you use it I bet... ;)
Yes, this has been my experience.. it's an excellent knife, I'm very glad I was able to pick one up!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting that the knife was rejected without the person rejecting the model ever using it? :confused:

sal
Crux

Post by Crux »

Good Bye Stretch. :(

Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

So. Which knife steel are you guys/gals liking best for this model? The VG10, SuperBlue, V-toku2, Hap40, or the ZDP189?? or does it really matter???

Just wondering...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:14 pm
So. Which knife steel are you guys/gals liking best for this model? The VG10, SuperBlue, V-toku2, Hap40, or the ZDP189?? or does it really matter???

Just wondering...

CG
I only have the one Stretch with ZDP-189 blade and only because I missed out on SuperBlue and HAP40.

Eitherway it’s a great knife and my second favourite Spyderco after the Military even though I’m no great fan of back locks. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

Finally got a chance to use the Vtoku2 this weekend while hunting. I am a huge fan of the original stretch and have it in all varieties.

I will admit that I was initially sad to see the original stretch go as the ergonomics are excellent for me. However, for its intended purpose, the Stretch 2 bests the original in practice. The taller blade with slightly more belly is very welcomed while skinning although I do miss the finer tip on the 1 for detail work.

Vtoku2 is adequate but probably my least favorite of the stretch varieties. While it takes a nice edge, it has far less bite to the edge that makes the HAP-40 and super blue my favorite for hunting.

Looking forward to the next Stretch2 sprint in k390 with red FRN. Will be the ultimate folding hunting knife
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

[/quote]

I only have the one Stretch with ZDP-189 blade and only because I missed out on SuperBlue and HAP40.

Eitherway it’s a great knife and my second favourite Spyderco after the Military even though I’m no great fan of back locks. :)
[/quote]

My fav spyderco is the Delica 4 and I do like back locks. Have had the G-10 Stretch 2 in hand for a few days now - it is competing with the PM2 for second favorite spyderco.

CG
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I started thinking today about what my dream sprint/exclusive Stretch would be. Enjoy hearing what others are interested in. I have a Stretch 1 on the way which will arrive later in the week. For now I'm going to hold off on posting what it is until I'm more familiar with the first model.

CG
Last edited by cycleguy on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:30 pm

[/quote]

My fav spyderco is the Delica 4 and I do like back locks. Have had the G-10 Stretch 2 in hand for a few days now - it is competing with the PM2 for second favorite spyderco.

CG
[/quote]

I’m hearing you! I much prefer the old Stretch to the PM2! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I can see people considering this design ugly but personally like the special Spydie looks and liked the first Stretch as well.
Did totally fall for the Stretch 2 as soon as I first handled it and it's definitely in my top 3 of folders in general.
The original Stretch was definitely a fine knife but for me (with big hands) the Stretch 2 was a major upgrade!

Might sell my V-toku2 again without even using it because I really love my VG10 user so much that I'll just stick to that. 😁