Good Bye Stretch!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Good Bye Stretch!

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:58 pm
Never realized what the differences were between the Stretch 1 and 2 until these threads started popping up.

It's been making me consider buying another Stretch. I had the old ZDP/CF Stretch 1 and really liked it, but gifted it to a friend. Always thought an FRN version with a chunkier handle would be more ergonomic anyways.

Looking at the comparison photos I'm a lot more interested in the Steetch 2. More spacious thumb ramp, similar to Police 3 vs Police 4, longer grip, and deeper choil. I like the pointier blade shape of the 1 but understand why that would be modified for the intended role on this model.
Now imagine the blade of the Stretch 2 would make use of all of the available space inside the handle when the knife is closed (so lengthend). That would be an even better knife for me. But probably too long in blade for legal carry in too many areas...
But you mentionend once that you are really tall with big hands: The Stretch 2 should fit way better than the "1"
The Stretch 1 I had fit well, I'd imagine the 2 would be even more comfortable.

My only complaint with the original is that CF/ZDP version had a fairly thin handle. The FRN models are fatter, so that won't be a concern.
:unicorn
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote: Thanks for posting that picture. I can now see that the 2 fixes just the issues I had with the handle previously. I also like the blade shape better for its intended purpose. Now, I have to scrounge up some money. Sal, you are making me a poor man.

In fairness to the Stretch 2, that photo is extremely misleading. Yes, the Stretch 2 is larger, but not THAT much larger. IMHO, the one below is a more accurate representation of their respective sizes...

I have to add that, if the Stretch 2 had been the first and only version of the Stretch that Spyderco ever offered, I'm sure I'd be perfectly happy with it. Granted, there's obviously no way to know that for sure, but the only "complaints" I have with it are all based on comparisons with the earlier versions.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:07 am
Doc Dan wrote: Thanks for posting that picture. I can now see that the 2 fixes just the issues I had with the handle previously. I also like the blade shape better for its intended purpose. Now, I have to scrounge up some money. Sal, you are making me a poor man.

In fairness to the Stretch 2, that photo is extremely misleading. Yes, the Stretch 2 is larger, but not THAT much larger. IMHO, the one below is a more accurate representation of their respective sizes...

I have to add that, if the Stretch 2 had been the first and only version of the Stretch that Spyderco ever offered, I'm sure I'd be perfectly happy with it. Granted, there's obviously no way to know that for sure, but the only "complaints" I have with it are all based on comparisons with the earlier versions.
Paul,

Can’t agree more. It’s the same case as GB1 and GB1. If GB2 came first, no one will ever say it’s ‘flimsy’. It can be thought that way only by comparing it with the GB1.
I happen to enjoy the ‘hook’ of Stretch 1 butt during use and the solid feeling of GB1 more.

On its own right, Stretch 2 and GB2 is fine.
Chris :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I didn't like the hook for the same reason I don't like the hook on the Manix 2 XL. It crowds my little finger. I have dainty little hands. :p ;) :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

The Deacon wrote:

Yes the pictures were a bit off but not by that much. I looked again on my Kitchen counter last night and the FRN versions of the stretch one and two are notable in regard to size.

These photos you have shared are different handles than FRN so unless someone is looking for G-10 these are not representative of the VG-10 Stretch 2 handle at all.

Furthermore the Stretch2 in ZDP189 with Brown G10 handles also has a longer blade than the Stretch 2 in FRN. Which is something that was discussed in the Stretch 3 thread as I recall. Kind of strange how Spyderco made two different blades for the Stretch2.

Between the FRN in VG-10 and the G10 with ZDP189 there are significant differences. With the Stretch 2 I prefer the FRN handles for the sculpt and the way it fits the hand over the G10 with the longer blade.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:08 am
The Deacon wrote:

Yes the pictures were a bit off but not by that much. I looked again on my Kitchen counter last night and the FRN versions of the stretch one and two are notable in regard to size.

These photos you have shared are different handles than FRN so unless someone is looking for G-10 these are not representative of the VG-10 Stretch 2 handle at all.

Furthermore the Stretch2 in ZDP189 with Brown G10 handles also has a longer blade than the Stretch 2 in FRN. Which is something that was discussed in the Stretch 3 thread as I recall. Kind of strange how Spyderco made two different blades for the Stretch2.

Between the FRN in VG-10 and the G10 with ZDP189 there are significant differences. With the Stretch 2 I prefer the FRN handles for the sculpt and the way it fits the hand over the G10 with the longer blade.

Fair enough. Here's a shot of a Stretch 2 and a Stretch, both in FRN and VG-10. I've tried to align them as close to the same as possible.

Paul
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:27 am
The Deacon wrote:

Fair enough. Here's a shot of a Stretch 2 and a Stretch, both in FRN and VG-10. I've tried to align them as close to the same as possible.

Perfect, yes that is a very realistic comparison picture. I was thinking of retaking the pictures myself with a ruler but no need now this is a very accurate representation.

Thank you.

Chris.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can't seem to find the thread where that was discussed, but I do recall seeing it, even recall checking my G-10 and FRN Stretch 2's and confirming that it was true. If I had to speculate on a reason, I'd suspect that the blade was shortened because the G-10 version's, or at least the older G-10 version's as I don't have a more recent one to compare, was actually a tad over 3.5". That makes it technically illegal in areas with 3.5" blade length limits, Golden has such a restriction, and Sal designed the Stretch for himself.
Paul
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... &start=100

I don't know if it is This you are taking about deacon, but it was discussed here. :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:39 am

Can't seem to find the thread where that was discussed, but I do recall seeing it, even recall checking my G-10 and FRN Stretch 2's and confirming that it was true. If I had to speculate on a reason, I'd suspect that the blade was shortened because the G-10 version's, or at least the older G-10 version's as I don't have a more recent one to compare, was actually a tad over 3.5". That makes it technically illegal in areas with 3.5" blade length limits, Golden has such a restriction, and Sal designed the Stretch for himself.
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... &start=100
On page seven I listed the stats on Spydercos homepage. The blade if the FRN Stretch 2 is 4mm shorter than the one of the G10 model. And you are right, FRN Stretch a bit UNDER 3.5, G10 a bit OVER.
If the FRN model had the longer (and more handle filling) blade of the G10 one, it would be much more attractive to me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wartstein, as you know very well, Austrians make good steel. Do you think it would be a good combination if Spyderco were to work with Austrian steel and knife makers to make the a run/batch of Austrian stainless steel and FRN Stretches?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:46 pm
Wartstein, as you know very well, Austrians make good steel. Do you think it would be a good combination if Spyderco were to work with Austrian steel and knife makers to make the a run/batch of Austrian stainless steel and FRN Stretches?
Yeah, we do make good steel in Austria, N690 comes to my mind for example...
I have three Stretch 1 now (2 in VG10, 1 in HAP 40) and thought they would last me a lifetime... but of course there is absolutely no way I could NOT buy a Stretch with Austrian steel.... Sal?! ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
PS: For the gun-lovers here (I don't know nothing 'bout guns, since no Civilian here can and does carry one):
Glock is also an Austrian brand. Every cop here carries one (yes, I am a little proud of my small, beautiful home-country, but I guess that's ok... ;) )
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:21 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
PS: For the gun-lovers here (I don't know nothing 'bout guns, since no Civilian here can and does carry one):
Glock is also an Austrian brand. Every cop here carries one (yes, I am a little proud of my small, beautiful home-country, but I guess that's ok... ;) )
They make some stunning sporting optics as well!!! Maybe Spyderco could team with Swarovski some day. The architecture is wonderful too. A first rate place you have there... :)

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Did we mention home of Arnold Schwarzenegger!!! :cool:

I'll be back...!!!

CG
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Would any of you be interested in a fixed blade version of the Stretch if Spyderco made it? What features would you want it to have if they did?
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

looks like bentobox shop has some stretch 1's if people want them before they're gone. I'm personally holding out with hope for a new steel or sprint this year or next.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:35 pm
Would any of you be interested in a fixed blade version of the Stretch if Spyderco made it? What features would you want it to have if they did?
Don't think so. Would like to see the mule ramp slightly more flat/less angle and jimped.

CG
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I own both versions and like them both.

[EDIT] Course my Stretch 2 is the ZDP189 version with G10 scales.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I picked up the V-Toku2 Stretch 2 last month.. I like it. Based on reading this thread, I ordered a VG10 Stretch from BBS (thanks for the tip that these are still in stock!) and..I really like it. Despite having only a few minor changes, the two seem almost like different knives to me. My preference would have go to the Stretch over the Stretch 2. The original handle fits so comfortably and I love how the "hook" at the end secures the hand. I also like the slightly pointier blade shape of the Stretch. The only thing that I do like better about the Stretch 2 would be the deeper index finger choil, but the shallower choil of the Stretch is sufficiently functional that it doesn't sway my overall opinion, giving preference to the original Stretch design.

I suppose it's all subjective really.. both are fantastic knives and I don't think that you can go wrong with either.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..