Salt water corrosion on Spyderco steel: How long does it take to erode blade steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Salt water corrosion on Spyderco steel: How long does it take to erode blade steel?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Are there any objective measurements or times for how long it would take salt water spray or immersion to erode the various stainless steel alloys used on Spyderco knives or is it a very subjective thing?

Obviously, H1 and Lc200N won't corrode.

But, when it comes to the other steel used, how long would it take for S30V, VG10, Cru Wear, ZDP189 and others to go from pristine new blade to corroded flaked and even powered and pitted metal?
steeljustice

Re: Salt water corrosion on Spyderco steel: How long does it take to erode blade steel?

Post by steeljustice »

Use CorrosionX on blade steel a lite coating will give you a lot of extra protection.
Trust me this stuff really works.
Woodpuppy

Re: Salt water corrosion on Spyderco steel: How long does it take to erode blade steel?

Post by Woodpuppy »

Tastes great too! :p
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The company known as "Sentry Solutions" has a great anti-corrosion product that I've had great luck with throughout the years. It is called "TUF-CLOTH". They also have a "Marine Grade" of the TUF-CLOTH that I understand is especially formulated for Salt Water and other very corrosive environments. I've used both of them with great results.

With each TUF-CLOTH I've been about to effectively treat about 6 to 9 blades before the active ingredient is deleted from the cloth. I've even used it on machetes, axes, mauls and just about any edged tool you can think of.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

But, when it comes to the other steel used, how long would it take for S30V, VG10, Cru Wear, ZDP189 and others to go from pristine new blade to corroded flaked and even powered and pitted metal?
A real long time. Longer than many think. I don't treat my knives like that so I can't give numbers. Knives don't self detonate even when corroded. As a test go on the bay and buy an old 60's or 70's carbon steel Schrade . The worst one you can find. Then see how fast you can get it working and sharp. For me it would be just a few minutes as long as it doesn't have to look pretty. The ugly rusty but sharp knife cuts as well as the new still mirrored blade all else being equal.

Joe
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Spyderco owns a Q-fog corrosion tester: viewtopic.php?t=33139#p425334

It would look something like this: https://www.q-lab.com/products/q-fog-cy ... og-ssp-cct
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives