The Serpent's Fang in CTS-XHP a Keeper!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

The Serpent's Fang in CTS-XHP a Keeper!

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Hello all in another thread I have asked about CTS-XHP and I have also Asked for advice on a good folding knife with good size lots of belly and the ability to take on tasks the smaller Spydiechef fails at due to far to much miniaturization.

One member made the suggestion of the Hundred Pacer.

At first I thought oh yeah I know this knife ugly SOB and Big like Stupid Big!

In recent times however the design in the dark philosophy of Sal has made me really happy with such notable knives as the Stretch and the Stretch 2.

I bit the bullet and ordered the Serpents Fang or as Spyderco like to call it the Hundred Pacer after the eastern Serpent that's venom will kill you in 100 Paces of getting bit.

Yeah I've gotten bit will probably be ordering a second one here are some pic's of in Kitchen use and practicality.

Lots of Belly and lots of excellent slicing power. Enjoy....

Included in the pics are a CruWare and a CTS-XHP Military for size comparison.

The Meat man

Re: The Serpent's Fang in CTS-XHP a Keeper!

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks for the posting those pictures Does. It's a rarely seen knife.

It's an intriguing design for sure, but it looks like it would be just too uncomfortable for everyday pocket carry. But maybe it carries better than it looks. Anyone with experience care to chime in?

I like that big sweeping blade.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I received it tonight and I exclaimed immediately “ Oh my! This takes up no more pocket space than my Military!! I love it. It is smoother to pocket and pull with a wire clip than any milllie.

Spyderco is a wizard at making large blades lite weight!

Really enjoying this knife and trying to make sure others know it is good. This will be on the secondary market one day for tons of money when it is out of production.

I predict lots of people will miss it now, later they will wish they had not!

Ugly Duckling design in the dark Sal knife nothing more really needs be said.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Such a cool knife. Thanks for posting! I've always loved the look, but have been pessimistic because of the size and price. Such a unique knife, I give you props for pulling the trigger. Maybe you'll be the trailblazer for this knife haha! Glad you enjoy it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:51 pm

It's an intriguing design for sure, but it looks like it would be just too uncomfortable for everyday pocket carry. But maybe it carries better than it looks. Anyone with experience care to chime in?

It carries better than it looks but not enough for me to carry it. #smallpocketproblems
Truly awesome knife tho
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 pm
Such a cool knife. Thanks for posting! I've always loved the look, but have been pessimistic because of the size and price. Such a unique knife, I give you props for pulling the trigger. Maybe you'll be the trailblazer for this knife haha! Glad you enjoy it.
Don't be. the price is not nearly enough honestly.

The knife is extraordinary and the size is really not an issue. The blade due to the extreme belly has more cutting surface than a military and cuts more, more easily with far less effort. This steel is very sharp out of the box and is thinner blade stock than a millie and such a remarkable slicer.

The blade shape cuts so very easy and keeps ones hand out of the cut material. It does not weigh much either. I am looking at the designers fixed blades and they are beautiful.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:23 pm
The Meat man wrote:

It carries better than it looks but not enough for me to carry it. #smallpocketproblems
Truly awesome knife tho
I have seen the pictures with knives :) and will not say more. My Lady sports similar jeans. Good job. truly awesome knife is so correct.

it is comfortable to carry on par with a PM2 or a military. I live in Florida and carried it in shorts. There was no noticeable difference between this and a PM2 or military or Stretch 1 or 2.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Here's a link to a long term review of the Hundred Pacer:

https://bladereviews.com/spyderco-hundred-pacer-review/

It highlights the surprising versatility of this amazing design. It is definitely my favorite large Spyder folder, and is in the running for GOAT. Every time I pick it up, it brings a smile to my face.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:40 pm
Hello all in another thread I have asked about CTS-XHP and I have also Asked for advice on a good folding knife with good size lots of belly and the ability to take on tasks the smaller Spydiechef fails at due to far to much miniaturization.
I'm curious what the Spydiechef fails at?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:45 am
Being appealing to the eye!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:45 am
Cutting larger items like Cheese, Onions, Oranges just not enough length there to keep out of the pivot and you have to keep coming at things from different angles a small bite at a time. Perfect little knife the only fault in it’s design is the size.

Make it larger keeping the exact design and I will buy two more of them.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I often use a 3" blade in the kitchen and have not found anything it fails at, but agree there's times a 4" or longer blade can be more convenient.
Fail is too strong a word. Preference and convenience is more like it.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

It is accurate and not overly strong. In specific example 1a. and b. transitive verb.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fail
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

May be user error, as It wouldn't fail in my hands.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Uh yeah right whatever bub!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:23 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Truly awesome knife tho

Thanks!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Another nice feature of the knife is the oblong disc the clip rides on. The Scales of the serpent are grippy and nice but slides from the pocket easy.

Tomorrow I will share more pics of this knife and the Spydiechef in the kitchen.

LC200N is awesome but thus far CTS-XHP As a steel exceeds it in sharpness as in treetopping hair shaving sharpness. More tomorrow.

Good Night.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Back in 2017 I posted a bunch of comparison photos of the Hundred Pacer with a variety of Spyderco models. Those photos went kaput with an Imgur snafu. Since one of the main issues confronting potential (online) buyers is the atypical size and shape, I think those comparisons may be helpful, so I'll repost them here, along with some additional newer pics. (hope that's not too intrusive on this thread)

This really is a fine knife design; despite its visual quirkiness, it is a slicing machine, and fits the pocket much better and differently than anticipated.

>>>>>Q prev post:

Here are some quick pics of the Hundred Pacer (100P), which is another Spyderco that deserves physical handling before decision-making based solely on appearance.
In the 1980s Spyderco taught me that knife ergonomics can be wildly discordant from the visual aesthetic. A knife may feel great in the hand and function phenomenally despite an appearance that lacks appeal to the eye--let alone that some think looks downright ugly. Spydercos like the Lava and Dodo are two prime examples. And yes, the appearance can grow on you when the performance rewards you.

Carry options are the first thought when looking at the closed knife. The 100P is flatter and thinner in proportion to its closed height. Best suited for a "flat" pocket, it would be fine in a sixth pocket/utility pocket, perhaps even rear pocket fr some folks. Ixnay on front pocket carry, though, especially if your activities may included squatting, kneeling , crouching, or sitting very much. Trying to reach pat it in a front pocket to retrieve coins or such from the depths might get you flagged for appearing to engage in perverse prolonged pocket pool. --if you're not already flagged for that--

Fits great in an accessory pocket on a couple of my hiking/outdoor shorts; perfecto. And it's weight is lighter than its size belies.

Brief comments on handling:

--balance point is middle of lock release cutout

--forward grip in the "half choil" is secure and comfortable

--mid-to-rear grip has the pinky comfortably ensconced in the rear cutout, and the hump secures grasp adjacent to the ring finger. Palpably greater leverage, here

--the textured scales (pun intended) are unique in appearance and tactile functionality. Twill be pocket fabric friendly, too. (I'll avoid a drift to herps /CroFab/cases etc...)

--locks up tight, ka-thwick! fit and finish are exemplary of Taichung high quality

--blade steel is CTS-XHP, well-known to Spydie fans; I can't find a disparaging word for it

Here are some pics so you may get an idea of size and proportion in compariosn to other poplular Spydercos; hopefully you have some for first-hand comps. I lacked the space and lighting to do a big group pic, sorry.

The wire clip *looks* too small, but feels fine with the carry I described above

With a sheepsfoot D'Allara, another knife "tall" from spine to frame-back:

Military, BG42:

Stacked, for pocket profile comparison (Military is of course tip-down):

GB 1, such a tank, yes?

Sliverax:

Manix CPM 154/S90V:

Para 3 CRU-WEAR:

Superhawk:

Spyderhawk:

Stacked:

Native 5 (linerless G10, S90V) and Caly 3 HAP40:

Nishijin R:

Endura 4, Pakkawood/HAP40:

Shaman:

Chinook 4:

Mule, MicroMelt PD1:

Temperance SE:

Hope this was of some use; thanks for looking.
kind regards,
nicked.onaut
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Very nice, thanks for the pictures and here are some more I took last night while in the Kitchen. I think I will continue to do comparisons of this knife in use with others as well. We will see.

Something I want to bring to peoples attention both of these blade have so much belly that they each have a cutting area equal to much larger longer blades and as such both are truly a joy in the hand. When you add just a little difference in length you get a whole lot more cutting power in return.

The Hundred pacer was purchased primarily as a large folder for kitchen use as my Spydiechef is just not long enough in the blade to handle larger items without getting into the pivot and or making multiple passes from different angles to get the job done.

Now before anyone gets offended again I will be the first to say I love the Sydiechef and for a shorter knife it does very well, I like it so much I own two of them.

The Spydiechef especially with a name like that sporting LC200N and Titanium making it virtually corrosion proof is a perfect kitchen use knife but needed to be longer,I also understand that many areas prohibit the carry of longer blades, so Spyderco has to make decisions based on that.

For people with cramped kitchens a nice folder like the Hundred Pacer is ideal as shown in a previous picture fold it put it in a small drawer no fuss no muss done.

In the following pictures it is clear the celery never stood a chance with either knife.

An aging pepper that had to be used or tossed illustrates where blade length comes in handy.

Both blades are very sharp and accept a high degree of sharpening, the feel of the slices is so similar as to be imperceptible the longer blade and greater belly of the Hundred Pacer however is superior in the way it not only performs but the way it feels gliding through material and makes you wonder is it done? Did it really go through that fast? and oh wow still have blade to spare.

Blade tip of the pacer is nice and pointy sharp makes slicing and picking seed coats ot of peppers so easy as the belly is all the way to the trailing point.

Blade tip of the Spydiechef is more of a modified sheepsfoot and is still useful but requires a different less efficient angel to do the same job. It is easier to keep track of where the tip is and does offer a safer control in tight spaces.

Both blades are excellent slicers and for doing rocking chops on the cutting board but the superior blade height and belly give the Hundred Pacer the edge. I did compare the height of the Hundred Pacers blade to a regular 10 inch kitchen knife and the regular kitchen knife was only a little taller.

Both knives handle excellently in the kitchen.

Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Good to see 'em getting used.

Goofy, ugly, kwirky ... we all have felt it ... then we are overtaken by them. What kind of Spyderco voodoo is that???

Hundred Pacer may just be the best Spyderco yet!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!