3V edge retention stainless equal???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

3V edge retention stainless equal???

Post by cycleguy »

OK, I am into a few shots of whiskey at the moment. What I would like to know is: what 3V edge retention is comparable to in stainless (what I am most familiar with) for slicing use only - field dressing animals, cleaning trout, cutting cardboard and packaging tape and such (not trying to slice brass rods or concrete blocks or extreme hardwoods). Just interested in how it works being a slicer (and having the toughness available for backup if ever needed). Is it similar to VG10 or S30v; or would it hold an edge less or more? Thanks in advance...

CG

P.S. This will impact the purchase of a not so distant future fixed blade.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
funghiman

Re: 3V edge retention stainless equal???

Post by funghiman »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:52 pm
OK, I am into a few shots of whiskey at the moment. What I would like to know is: what 3V edge retention is comparable to in stainless (what I am most familiar with) for slicing use only - field dressing animals, cleaning trout, cutting cardboard and packaging tape and such (not trying to slice brass rods or concrete blocks or extreme hardwoods). Just interested in how it works being a slicer (and having the toughness available for backup if ever needed). Is it similar to VG10 or S30v; or would it hold an edge less or more? Thanks in advance...

CG

P.S. This will impact the purchase of a not so distant future fixed blade.
"3V" literally means it holds edge 3 times as good as S30V iirc. Excellent toughness as well, which is exactly why nowadays more and more large sized survival/wood-crafting knives start to opt towards 3V over traditional 1095 as well.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Wear resistance of 3V is similar to S30V, S35VN, CPM154, but 3V toughness is considerably higher which results in good edge stability and resistance to chipping.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

3V gets its name from having (roughly) 3% vanadium. Most cut tests I have seen have it performing slightly better than s30v.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:20 am
3V gets its name from having (roughly) 3% vanadium. Most cut tests I have seen have it performing slightly better than s30v.
Xplorer wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:58 pm
Wear resistance of 3V is similar to S30V, S35VN, CPM154, but 3V toughness is considerably higher which results in good edge stability and resistance to chipping.

Which is why I am always so confused to why so many people get triggered when we ask for 3V folders? Seriously, what would be the downside of a folder with similar or better wear resistance as S30V and S35VN, but way tougher and way more chip resistant?? Sure, it is less stainless, but nowhere near 52100, which has been used in quite a few folders now.

The time has come for 3V folders. We saw 4V last year finally. 2019 is the year for 3V.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:56 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:20 am
Xplorer wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:58 pm

Which is why I am always so confused to why so many people get triggered when we ask for 3V folders? Seriously, what would be the downside of a folder with similar or better wear resistance as S30V and S35VN, but way tougher and way more chip resistant?? Sure, it is less stainless, but nowhere near 52100, which has been used in quite a few folders now.

The time has come for 3V folders. We saw 4V last year finally. 2019 is the year for 3V.
Yeah, the idea is certainly met with passionate opposition. I don't get it either.

I realize that in a folder, 4v essentially does everything 3v does, but better. But the same could be said for s110v over s90v, and you don't see anyone anti-s90v.

The fact is, 3V isn't just for large choppers, it happens to work in small knives just fine. No one is going to come here making threads like "OMG.... Maxamet dethroned?" but I think they'll like the cutting ability, sharpenability, and how forgiving the blade will be when a mistake is made and you hit the edge on something accidentally (after a cut, presumably).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Which Spyder folder would you like to see in 3V? I vote for the Shaman or Manix 2 XL.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd rather see 3V fixed blades myself. Though I would buy a DLC 3V Manix XL :)
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:19 am
I'd rather see 3V fixed blades myself. Though I would buy a DLC 3V Manix XL :)
Ditto to both points.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:40 am
Which Spyder folder would you like to see in 3V? I vote for the Shaman or Manix 2 XL.
Oh most definitely the C-36 Military and Para 2. I could think of a couple of other Spyderco folders but those two would really stand out in 3V blade steel. Those GOLDEN made Spyders just do great with supersteels IMO.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:19 am
I'd rather see 3V fixed blades myself.

The Province is the closest thing on the radar. Looking forward to that one. My wallet isn’t, though ;)
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would absolutely buy a 3V Military especially if it were SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Here are catra results from Bohler-Uddeholm, though all competitor steels are listed under composition names, so 3V is listed under 7.5-1.3-2.75 CrMoV. S30V, 154CM, and S35VN are on there along with several BU steels. https://knifesteelnerds.com/wp-content/ ... -CATRA.pdf
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The only 3v I’ve tried was in a cold steel Master Hunter. I kind of felt like the edge retention was a notch below s30v but I really enjoyed the way the steel sharpened and the aggressive edge it took and I always appreciate high toughness. That knife kind of reminded me of an ever so slightly softer cruwear.

I would definitely try pretty much any folder that Spyderco made in 3v.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:25 pm
The only 3v I’ve tried was in a cold steel Master Hunter. I kind of felt like the edge retention was a notch below s30v but I really enjoyed the way the steel sharpened and the aggressive edge it took and I always appreciate high toughness. That knife kind of reminded me of an ever so slightly softer cruwear.

3V hardened > 60 (delta 3V from CPK I think gets rc 62? or others) holds an edge better than s30v and is much less prone to chipping, and still much tougher even at that hardness.
I think it would be an excellent choice for longer blades and narrower/thinner tips, so Military is first that comes to mind. But I'd take a Mili in 4V too. Everyone loves Cruwear, so why not 3V?
attila

Post by attila »

dogrunner wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:31 pm
Surfingringo wrote:

3V hardened > 60 (delta 3V from CPK I think gets rc 62? or others) holds an edge better than s30v and is much less prone to chipping, and still much tougher even at that hardness.
I think it would be an excellent choice for longer blades and narrower/thinner tips, so Military is first that comes to mind. But I'd take a Mili in 4V too. Everyone loves Cruwear, so why not 3V?
Good point!
Delta 3V, I'd definitely interested in, but regular high-tempered 3V is less than exciting, considering that we have CPM Cruwear available.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

dogrunner wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:31 pm
Surfingringo wrote:

Yeah, regarding the knife I tried, I know nothing about Cold Steel’s ht with 3v and I only had about a week with the knife so my observations on 3v are anecdotal at best.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Surfingringo wrote:

Same! I feel like a round of sprints in 3V would sell just as fast as the Rex45 sprints. Military, Native, Shaman, Manix XL, Para 3 in 3V with a good color G10 scale. Forest green, foliage green, brown, coyote, some earth tone since 3V is popular with the outdoorsy fixed blade crowd.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Conan

Post by Conan »

I wouldn't mind to see some PM2's or M2's in 3V......
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Larrin wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:32 pm
Here are catra results from Bohler-Uddeholm, though all competitor steels are listed under composition names, so 3V is listed under 7.5-1.3-2.75 CrMoV. S30V, 154CM, and S35VN are on there along with several BU steels. https://knifesteelnerds.com/wp-content/ ... -CATRA.pdf
Thanks for the link Larrin.
FWIW s35vn seems preferable in a folder as its wear resistance is at least equal (if not better) than 3v, is stainless and has adequate toughness (for folder tasks).
What I'd really rather see in large folders is more Elmax run at 61 HRC ;)

Overall I have less interest in chasing the steel Du Jour and more in seeing edge geometries and heat treat and grain refinement perfected for a given task. I'd be perfectly happy to use s35vn or something similar. Heck even lowly AEB-L would be preferred to 3v in a frequent use folder.