Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4359
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby steelcity16 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:04 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:08 am
I'd like to see a DLC Cruwear or 3V Tanto Military. The extra length and liner lock would make a great work knife

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. We need a Tanto-fly! :eek:
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
Naperville
Member
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:58 am
Location: Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Naperville » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Blade HQ said that more PM2 Tantos were expected in the future. I sure hope that this is true because this is easily one of the best looking Spyderco folders.
Spyderco Collection: Military (S110V), Bob Lum Darn Dao(CPM-154), Yojimbo 2 (1 in S30V & 2 in 20CV), Sustain(20CV), Native 5(Maxamet), Jumpmaster 2(H1), Province(4V). SHORT LIST: CF Shaman(S90V), Native Chief, Street Bowie(4V at 60+ HRC), Nightstick, Yojumbo.

User avatar
Naperville
Member
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:58 am
Location: Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Naperville » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:31 pm

i.e. I NEED ONE!
Spyderco Collection: Military (S110V), Bob Lum Darn Dao(CPM-154), Yojimbo 2 (1 in S30V & 2 in 20CV), Sustain(20CV), Native 5(Maxamet), Jumpmaster 2(H1), Province(4V). SHORT LIST: CF Shaman(S90V), Native Chief, Street Bowie(4V at 60+ HRC), Nightstick, Yojumbo.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4359
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby steelcity16 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:44 pm

Bumping for a Tanto-fly. I guess I would take a Cruwear PM2 Tanto if they offer one at some point. Still wondering if the blade shape is exclusive to BHQ, or if DLT can do a Tanto PM2 in Cru-ple G10??
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
Haunted House
Member
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:02 pm

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Haunted House » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm

Naperville wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:31 pm
Blade HQ said that more PM2 Tantos were expected in the future. I sure hope that this is true because this is easily one of the best looking Spyderco folders.
Yeah, it sucks that Blade HQ (or anyone) has the exclusive on this model and that it’s not a general release. Spoke to BladeHQ, they have no idea when they’ll get more. Lame.

I love Spyderco but if I’m being honest, this “exclusive” and “limited” stuff is really starting to sour me on the brand.
The only people benefiting from this system is the flippers on eBay & secondary markets.
Team Wharncliffe

User avatar
Naperville
Member
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:58 am
Location: Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Naperville » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:21 pm

Haunted House wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm
Yeah, it sucks that Blade HQ (or anyone) has the exclusive on this model and that it’s not a general release. Spoke to BladeHQ, they have no idea when they’ll get more. Lame.

I love Spyderco but if I’m being honest, this “exclusive” and “limited” stuff is really starting to sour me on the brand.
The only people benefiting from this system is the flippers on eBay & secondary markets.
I hear you! I'm on a very restrictive budget(loans and cc debt) and I miss sprints all the time. It's getting better though. I just paid off one loan!!! WooHoo!!! :D

It may take me some time, but once I get these buggers paid off, I'll have plenty of expendable income.
Spyderco Collection: Military (S110V), Bob Lum Darn Dao(CPM-154), Yojimbo 2 (1 in S30V & 2 in 20CV), Sustain(20CV), Native 5(Maxamet), Jumpmaster 2(H1), Province(4V). SHORT LIST: CF Shaman(S90V), Native Chief, Street Bowie(4V at 60+ HRC), Nightstick, Yojumbo.

Wright.88
Member
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:36 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Wright.88 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:15 am

Haunted House wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm
Naperville wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:31 pm
Blade HQ said that more PM2 Tantos were expected in the future. I sure hope that this is true because this is easily one of the best looking Spyderco folders.
Yeah, it sucks that Blade HQ (or anyone) has the exclusive on this model and that it’s not a general release. Spoke to BladeHQ, they have no idea when they’ll get more. Lame.

I love Spyderco but if I’m being honest, this “exclusive” and “limited” stuff is really starting to sour me on the brand.
The only people benefiting from this system is the flippers on eBay & secondary markets.
I’d say a lot of us benefit by getting cool exclusives in new scale colors and steels that we wouldn’t otherwise get. Spyderco can make them because the risk gets put on the dealer/distributor by having to put the money up front. And it obviously benefits Spyderco to sell more knives.

I love the exclusives and sprints and say keep them coming. There haven’t been any sprints or exclusives I’ve wanted that I haven’t been able to get if I was determined to be at my computer/phone at release.

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 6136
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Sharp Guy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Wright.88 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:15 am
Haunted House wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm
Naperville wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:31 pm
Blade HQ said that more PM2 Tantos were expected in the future. I sure hope that this is true because this is easily one of the best looking Spyderco folders.
Yeah, it sucks that Blade HQ (or anyone) has the exclusive on this model and that it’s not a general release. Spoke to BladeHQ, they have no idea when they’ll get more. Lame.

I love Spyderco but if I’m being honest, this “exclusive” and “limited” stuff is really starting to sour me on the brand.
The only people benefiting from this system is the flippers on eBay & secondary markets.
I’d say a lot of us benefit by getting cool exclusives in new scale colors and steels that we wouldn’t otherwise get. Spyderco can make them because the risk gets put on the dealer/distributor by having to put the money up front. And it obviously benefits Spyderco to sell more knives.

I love the exclusives and sprints and say keep them coming. There haven’t been any sprints or exclusives I’ve wanted that I haven’t been able to get if I was determined to be at my computer/phone at release.
I don't understand how/why people could get soured by the brand when they're putting out versions of models we wouldn't be able to get otherwise. They couldn't possibly have all these different versions as regular production items. So we're lucky to get the exclusives & sprints we do
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 3130
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Mushroom » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:09 pm

BladeHQ recently uploaded a video and spoke about this knife a little bit. There were no specifics but they said there will be more "soon." https://youtu.be/RDKL5SSM1UY?t=255

They said
BladeHQ on Youtube 9/18/2020 wrote: "If you weren't able grab the first drop of these particular knives, we will be getting more. I am not sure when. At the time of shooting this video we don't have any in stock. If you want one, put it on your wishlist and we will have more soon.


https://youtu.be/RDKL5SSM1UY?t=255
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
SubMicron
Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:55 pm

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby SubMicron » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:25 am

I've got to say that the PM2 Tanto has found some real utility in my life.

It finds pocket time however it competes with about two dozen other Spyderco knives for that pocket time. Mostly it's in my safe unless there's a specific reason to carry it, simply because I prefer other handle materials over G10.

So around the house, typically I'll have another knife in my pocket. With some frequency, I'll actually stop what I'm doing to go get the Tanto PM2.

Any time I need to remove a stubborn label from something, I'll get the Tanto. For example, removing the shipping label from a box in order to reuse the box, or removing the label from a cigar box, or whatever. That Tanto tip sets up the perfect angle to get in between delicate materials in order to separate them.

For scoring or draw cutting, using the secondary point, it allows me to push instead of just pull. Stop and think about that... there's a sharpened edge on both sides of that secondary tip.

Instead of pulling the knife out and retracing my previous cut line, I can just push forward to get a spot that didnt go deep enough in the draw cut.

The ability to push cut opens the door to a whole new world of utility and usefulness.

A Tanto doesn't have to necessarily be a hard use tactical thing. This is a prescision and utilitarian cutting implement that is exceedingly more useful than I assumed it would be.

We need more Spyderco platforms with a Tanto blade, not only the big knives, but especially the Lil Native and the Dragonfly
Last edited by SubMicron on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 2265
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby curlyhairedboy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:49 am

I'd definitely be down for a lil native tanto...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

User avatar
Ez556
Member
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Ez556 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:21 pm

SubMicron wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:25 am
I've got to say that the PM2 Tanto has found some real utility in my life(...) That Tanto tip sets up the perfect angle to get in between delicate materials in order to separate them(...) For scoring or draw cutting, using the secondary point, it allows me to push instead of just pull. Stop and think about that... there's a sharpened edge on both sides of that secondary tip(...)
A Tanto doesn't have to necessarily be a hard use tactical thing. This is a prescision and utilitarian cutting implement that is exceedingly more useful than I assumed it would be.
This is exactly how I feel. I got to use a cheap Milwaukee knife with a tanto, and while the knife was nothing special, I REALLY liked the tanto for getting stuff done.
SubMicron wrote: We need more Spyderco platforms with a Tanto blade, not only the big knives, but especially the Lil Native and the Dragonfly
I am not sure how well it would translate into that short of a blade, but I will say that a Lil' Native Lightweight tanto would be probably the ultimate work knife for my needs. I want to see a production PM2 tanto, but a Lil' Native could be interesting if it was possible.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 2265
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby curlyhairedboy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:59 am

Lil Native tanto could be very interesting...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby koenigsegg » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am

Am I the only one who didn't get the dlc cause I thought satin was coming soon. I asked bhq and they seem to confirm its a thing but wouldn't really confirm it was a thing.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN

JMM
Member
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:39 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby JMM » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:59 am

At this point is it safe to say that BHQ has the Tanto PM2 on lock, and no one else can get their own exclusive and/or we'll never see these as a regular production model?

Foundry81
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:05 pm
Location: S.w. Minnesota

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Foundry81 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:29 pm

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am
Am I the only one who didn't get the dlc cause I thought satin was coming soon. I asked bhq and they seem to confirm its a thing but wouldn't really confirm it was a thing.
I was/Am holding out for a satin as well...

Tiquito
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:44 am

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Tiquito » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:23 pm

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am
Am I the only one who didn't get the dlc cause I thought satin was coming soon. I asked bhq and they seem to confirm its a thing but wouldn't really confirm it was a thing.
A dlc bird in the hand is worthy two satin birds in the bush. That’s why I bought the DLC even though I might have chosen a satin version given the choice. That said I’d imagine we will see a satin version and some point as well as jade handle M4 versions. All of them will sell out, quickly, so I don’t know why they wouldn’t. It’s probably a matter of production capacity and timing.

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 2265
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby curlyhairedboy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:35 am

I did want to nab a tanto as soon as possible. I know how durable spyderco's DLC is, so it wasn't a concern.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1990
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby ABX2011 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:01 pm

JMM wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:59 am
At this point is it safe to say that BHQ has the Tanto PM2 on lock, and no one else can get their own exclusive and/or we'll never see these as a regular production model?
I think so.

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 2294
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Postby Woodpuppy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:39 pm

Hmmm a dealer design exclusive? I don’t think Spyderco would let a vendor be the sole seller of a design. Steel/color format, sure. But not the whole enchilada.
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BelgiumRofls, Bing [Bot], eRoc, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], RamZar and 32 guests