Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
defenestrate

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Post by defenestrate »

I think the BHQ exclusive will probably well quite well, as both tantos and black blades are pretty popular among collectors of other brands who have probably never seen a Spydive with one (I only remember 2 offhand, one being a fixed blade)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’m wondering/hoping they make one without DLC? It would be nice if they clarify before this one goes on sale.
SpyD-Fan

Post by SpyD-Fan »

I wish Spyderco would of kept this as a standard offering, and not an exclusive to BHQ.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Would it be possible to remove the black coating without also removing the Spyderco logo?
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Coming July 28!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Lucky for me I'm just not a huge fan of the compression lock. I do like the tanto blade though. It's overpriced and I'll pass.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

SubMicron wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:57 am
I'm pretty sure this Tanto PM2 will be enough to cause me to break my boycott on S30V
Ha, same. Wish it was a tool steel instead of S30V, but... I’m still in.

This would’ve been a perfect candidate for Cruwear though(although that probably would’ve broken the internet).
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hopefully it doesn't sell out instantly...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:10 pm
Coming July 28!

Ok, that is very tilliating!

But a few questions for you and others:
1. How do you know this?

2. Will this be through Blade HQ only?

3. What time do knives like this go on sale? Midnight on the 27th?
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

1. Instagram... @spyderco_inc specifically announced the time.
2. Yes
3. Tuesday 7/28 10am MT
•• Beau
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I got to see and handle one, yesterday. ;)
JMM

Post by JMM »

So... I have a question, I know it was being tossed around for a while, was there ever a consensus on whether or not this was something BHQ had the exclusive rights to, or if they were getting first go at it, but then it was gong to be available elsewhere?
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JMM wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:07 pm
So... I have a question, I know it was being tossed around for a while, was there ever a consensus on whether or not this was something BHQ had the exclusive rights to, or if they were getting first go at it, but then it was gong to be available elsewhere?
If it has a black tanto s30v blade and black handles then it's a BladeHQ exclusive.
•• Beau
JMM

Post by JMM »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:19 pm
JMM wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:07 pm
If it has a black tanto s30v blade and black handles then it's a BladeHQ exclusive.

But the Tanto Blade'd PM2 is not something they (BHQ) have dibs on so no one else can sell them... right? I just remember this was being debated along with the BladeOps wave PM2 and my less than awesome memory isn't helping me with what the final answer was on either . . . TIA!

Cheers,

John
sok

Post by sok »

I am going to have to think long and hard on this one. If it had partial serrations, I would be all in. Is there anything special about this PM2 that would prevent a blade swap or an aftermarket scale change?
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I'm still really going back and forth on whether I want to grab one of these. First DLC isn't my favorite... I prefer plain blades. Second the price is a bit steep. Third I just got a double bevel not too long ago to satisfy my spydie tanto bug and I absolutely love it. I just don't know if this one has anything special for me. When it was announced I was super excited but I've found myself less and less enthusiastic as time has passed. Thing is, if I get it and don't care for it, I can always resell - one of the great things about Spydies. This is going to be a tough decision!
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

samdasnake wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53 pm
First DLC isn't my favorite... I prefer plain blades...Third I just got a double bevel not too long ago to satisfy my spydie tanto bug and I absolutely love it.

I, too, bought a double bevel because I wanted a Tanto. I like it, sort of, but I'm not wild about the liner lock & lack of a choil. I'm always afraid I'm going to take my finger off when I close it.

The double bevel is also a little small for my tastes (I regard it as my '007' knife, if I ever wear a tuxedo this is the knife I'll have in my pocket), but it looks like the PM2 tanto is about the same size.

I've never handled a PM of any configuration. Are they stout like the Shaman? I love the 'thock' of my Shaman.

As for DLC, I think I will look at removing it, if I am lucky enough to score one of these knives.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

sok wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:05 pm
I am going to have to think long and hard on this one. If it had partial serrations, I would be all in. Is there anything special about this PM2 that would prevent a blade swap or an aftermarket scale change?
I am sure that scales are normal, why wouldn't be.
The tang of the blade should be also the same as on other PM2, and if you change the locking liner with it, you can swap it too.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

FeistyKat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:50 am
samdasnake wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53 pm
First DLC isn't my favorite... I prefer plain blades...Third I just got a double bevel not too long ago to satisfy my spydie tanto bug and I absolutely love it.

I, too, bought a double bevel because I wanted a Tanto. I like it, sort of, but I'm not wild about the liner lock & lack of a choil. I'm always afraid I'm going to take my finger off when I close it.

The double bevel is also a little small for my tastes (I regard it as my '007' knife, if I ever wear a tuxedo this is the knife I'll have in my pocket), but it looks like the PM2 tanto is about the same size.

I've never handled a PM of any configuration. Are they stout like the Shaman? I love the 'thock' of my Shaman.

As for DLC, I think I will look at removing it, if I am lucky enough to score one of these knives.
The PM2 is a pretty solid knife, but you're not going to find much as stout as your Shaman. And it definitely doesn't have the same "thock" that you're looking for. That said, I only have one PM2 so my experience with then is somewhat limited. As for removing the DLC, that's not a bad idea :)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’m going to take a gamble and hold off for a non-DLC version. I’m assuming they will make one eventually.