Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:08 am
I'd like to see a DLC Cruwear or 3V Tanto Military. The extra length and liner lock would make a great work knife

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. We need a Tanto-fly! :eek:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Blade HQ said that more PM2 Tantos were expected in the future. I sure hope that this is true because this is easily one of the best looking Spyderco folders.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

i.e. I NEED ONE!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bumping for a Tanto-fly. I guess I would take a Cruwear PM2 Tanto if they offer one at some point. Still wondering if the blade shape is exclusive to BHQ, or if DLT can do a Tanto PM2 in Cru-ple G10??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:31 pm
Blade HQ said that more PM2 Tantos were expected in the future. I sure hope that this is true because this is easily one of the best looking Spyderco folders.
Yeah, it sucks that Blade HQ (or anyone) has the exclusive on this model and that it’s not a general release. Spoke to BladeHQ, they have no idea when they’ll get more. Lame.

I love Spyderco but if I’m being honest, this “exclusive” and “limited” stuff is really starting to sour me on the brand.
The only people benefiting from this system is the flippers on eBay & secondary markets.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Haunted House wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm
Yeah, it sucks that Blade HQ (or anyone) has the exclusive on this model and that it’s not a general release. Spoke to BladeHQ, they have no idea when they’ll get more. Lame.

I love Spyderco but if I’m being honest, this “exclusive” and “limited” stuff is really starting to sour me on the brand.
The only people benefiting from this system is the flippers on eBay & secondary markets.
I hear you! I'm on a very restrictive budget(loans and cc debt) and I miss sprints all the time. It's getting better though. I just paid off one loan!!! WooHoo!!! :D

It may take me some time, but once I get these buggers paid off, I'll have plenty of expendable income.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Haunted House wrote:
Naperville wrote:

I’d say a lot of us benefit by getting cool exclusives in new scale colors and steels that we wouldn’t otherwise get. Spyderco can make them because the risk gets put on the dealer/distributor by having to put the money up front. And it obviously benefits Spyderco to sell more knives.

I love the exclusives and sprints and say keep them coming. There haven’t been any sprints or exclusives I’ve wanted that I haven’t been able to get if I was determined to be at my computer/phone at release.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wright.88 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:15 am
Haunted House wrote:
Naperville wrote:

I’d say a lot of us benefit by getting cool exclusives in new scale colors and steels that we wouldn’t otherwise get. Spyderco can make them because the risk gets put on the dealer/distributor by having to put the money up front. And it obviously benefits Spyderco to sell more knives.

I love the exclusives and sprints and say keep them coming. There haven’t been any sprints or exclusives I’ve wanted that I haven’t been able to get if I was determined to be at my computer/phone at release.
I don't understand how/why people could get soured by the brand when they're putting out versions of models we wouldn't be able to get otherwise. They couldn't possibly have all these different versions as regular production items. So we're lucky to get the exclusives & sprints we do
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

BladeHQ recently uploaded a video and spoke about this knife a little bit. There were no specifics but they said there will be more "soon." https://youtu.be/RDKL5SSM1UY?t=255

They said
BladeHQ on Youtube 9/18/2020 wrote: "If you weren't able grab the first drop of these particular knives, we will be getting more. I am not sure when. At the time of shooting this video we don't have any in stock. If you want one, put it on your wishlist and we will have more soon.

https://youtu.be/RDKL5SSM1UY?t=255
-Nick :bug-red
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

I've got to say that the PM2 Tanto has found some real utility in my life.

It finds pocket time however it competes with about two dozen other Spyderco knives for that pocket time. Mostly it's in my safe unless there's a specific reason to carry it, simply because I prefer other handle materials over G10.

So around the house, typically I'll have another knife in my pocket. With some frequency, I'll actually stop what I'm doing to go get the Tanto PM2.

Any time I need to remove a stubborn label from something, I'll get the Tanto. For example, removing the shipping label from a box in order to reuse the box, or removing the label from a cigar box, or whatever. That Tanto tip sets up the perfect angle to get in between delicate materials in order to separate them.

For scoring or draw cutting, using the secondary point, it allows me to push instead of just pull. Stop and think about that... there's a sharpened edge on both sides of that secondary tip.

Instead of pulling the knife out and retracing my previous cut line, I can just push forward to get a spot that didnt go deep enough in the draw cut.

The ability to push cut opens the door to a whole new world of utility and usefulness.

A Tanto doesn't have to necessarily be a hard use tactical thing. This is a prescision and utilitarian cutting implement that is exceedingly more useful than I assumed it would be.

We need more Spyderco platforms with a Tanto blade, not only the big knives, but especially the Lil Native and the Dragonfly
Last edited by SubMicron on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd definitely be down for a lil native tanto...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

SubMicron wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:25 am
I've got to say that the PM2 Tanto has found some real utility in my life(...) That Tanto tip sets up the perfect angle to get in between delicate materials in order to separate them(...) For scoring or draw cutting, using the secondary point, it allows me to push instead of just pull. Stop and think about that... there's a sharpened edge on both sides of that secondary tip(...)
A Tanto doesn't have to necessarily be a hard use tactical thing. This is a prescision and utilitarian cutting implement that is exceedingly more useful than I assumed it would be.
This is exactly how I feel. I got to use a cheap Milwaukee knife with a tanto, and while the knife was nothing special, I REALLY liked the tanto for getting stuff done.
SubMicron wrote: We need more Spyderco platforms with a Tanto blade, not only the big knives, but especially the Lil Native and the Dragonfly
I am not sure how well it would translate into that short of a blade, but I will say that a Lil' Native Lightweight tanto would be probably the ultimate work knife for my needs. I want to see a production PM2 tanto, but a Lil' Native could be interesting if it was possible.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Lil Native tanto could be very interesting...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Am I the only one who didn't get the dlc cause I thought satin was coming soon. I asked bhq and they seem to confirm its a thing but wouldn't really confirm it was a thing.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JMM

Post by JMM »

At this point is it safe to say that BHQ has the Tanto PM2 on lock, and no one else can get their own exclusive and/or we'll never see these as a regular production model?
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am
Am I the only one who didn't get the dlc cause I thought satin was coming soon. I asked bhq and they seem to confirm its a thing but wouldn't really confirm it was a thing.
I was/Am holding out for a satin as well...
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am
A dlc bird in the hand is worthy two satin birds in the bush. That’s why I bought the DLC even though I might have chosen a satin version given the choice. That said I’d imagine we will see a satin version and some point as well as jade handle M4 versions. All of them will sell out, quickly, so I don’t know why they wouldn’t. It’s probably a matter of production capacity and timing.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I did want to nab a tanto as soon as possible. I know how durable spyderco's DLC is, so it wasn't a concern.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

JMM wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:59 am
At this point is it safe to say that BHQ has the Tanto PM2 on lock, and no one else can get their own exclusive and/or we'll never see these as a regular production model?
I think so.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hmmm a dealer design exclusive? I don’t think Spyderco would let a vendor be the sole seller of a design. Steel/color format, sure. But not the whole enchilada.