Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Post by cycleguy »

S30V works fine for me ... not a deal breaker, and actually glad to see it is still being used. I bet it sells out quickly ... maybe sooo quick that I end out not getting one despite expressing my interest in two of them over a year ago. :mad:

I suspect there will be other opportunities in other steels and coated versions as well... time will tell!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:05 am
I would much prefer a different steel than S30V.

This is a really special design and deserves a special steel right out of the gate. This is an all day easy sell as far as design goes.

S45VN makes allot of sense as does the SPY27. S30V is dead to me have too much of it already.

I figure they don't want to put out too many knives (and certainly not a new (blade-) design) in these new steels.
But rather wait for the feedback and real life impressions of the market/ the end users...

I personally am totally fine with S30V, but I get that if one is more into steels than I am he/she would want something less "common"
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Very happy to have this in s30v to start out.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm not too concerned about the steel but I think these are going to be extremely popular and will be made in many different steels in the future.
MOTOR51

Post by MOTOR51 »

Not my favorite blade style but I’d definitely buy one. It looks like the tip is thick enough to endure a good deal of puncturing.
emjay4248

Post by emjay4248 »

I can’t wait to get one
Brotherscinc0

Post by Brotherscinc0 »

Can y’all please hurry this up I need a tanto pm2 😜
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I suppose recent global-scale challenges will set this back a bit. Many thanks to all the Spyderco employees who are still working in this tough time.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:41 pm
I suppose recent global-scale challenges will set this back a bit. Many thanks to all the Spyderco employees who are still working in this tough time.

I second your "many thanks" to them!
But I am also glad for them that they still have a job! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I was thinking about how Spyderco is still open when Colorado is essentially shutdown right now. Then I remembered that Spyderco has government contracts which can allow them to be considered national defense critical. They're very lucky given that so many people are out of a job right now.

I need new knives like I need a cavity, but I'll keep buying to prop up whomever I can.
normal

Post by normal »

I really hope they do other steel choices. A knife buddy and I both want these, but we will pass on s30v. I would even give it a try in SPY27. I was really hoping they would be in this latest release.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

normal wrote: I really hope they do other steel choices. A knife buddy and I both want these, but we will pass on s30v. I would even give it a try in SPY27. I was really hoping they would be in this latest release.
Its a bhq exclusive so it probably wont be in a reveal or catalog. I would assume bhq will choose when to make it available.
OR, its a production piece that is only available through bhq similar to the wolfspyder. In which case it might show up in a reveal. Who knows.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I haven’t chimed in on this thread at all this calendar year, but I just watched the 2020 SHOT video and man... that is a sweet knife. The blade really suits the handle, I think better than the normal PM2 personally, I’ve always thought the long thin tip looked a little funny with the huge handle. I really hope these go beyond BHQ exclusive territory, with how invested Eric looked I have a feeling it will.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

And I personally don’t see a great application for the Tanto specifically for self defense (I subscribe to the wharnie theory of a tip that doesn’t fall away) but for a working profile, Tanto is great. It’s strong, and you get so many useful surfaces. My point in saying that is that I think this would rise above the “mall ninja”, “tacticool” crowd and just generally be a great knife.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

An FYI..... anyone calling for a different steel or a sprint will be disappointed if you pass and it gets discontinued because of low sales.

normal

Post by normal »

Popsickle wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:00 am
An FYI..... anyone calling for a different steel or a sprint will be disappointed if you pass and it gets discontinued because of low sales.
Not as disappointed as I would be if I bought it in a steel I don't like. I am not going to buy one just so the numbers go up in hopes of them doing sprint runs that I would like, but would probably never be able to get because it was a limited number sprint run.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

normal wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:02 pm
Popsickle wrote:
Not as disappointed as I would be if I bought it in a steel I don't like. I am not going to buy one just so the numbers go up in hopes of them doing sprint runs that I would like, but would probably never be able to get because it was a limited number sprint run.
While I understand your idea. The logic of not buying the initial run in hopes that another sprint comes around in THE flavor of steel you prefer is flawed. I get that a lot of people can’t buy multiples of the same knife not want to. If I buy one it will probably be the introductory model and even if a sprint is offered I probably won’t buy that one. I truly hope that sprints come from this. The past has already shown us that if the model doesn’t sell.... it will be discontinued
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I hope this is close!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
normal

Post by normal »

Popsickle wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:06 pm
normal wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:02 pm
Popsickle wrote:
While I understand your idea. The logic of not buying the initial run in hopes that another sprint comes around in THE flavor of steel you prefer is flawed. I get that a lot of people can’t buy multiples of the same knife not want to. If I buy one it will probably be the introductory model and even if a sprint is offered I probably won’t buy that one. I truly hope that sprints come from this. The past has already shown us that if the model doesn’t sell.... it will be discontinued
That is not my reasoning. I am not holding out for a future sprint run. I am not buying it because it is in a steel I don't like, making it a knife that I would no longer want. Sure, if they did it in a steel I like I would get one, but my lack of buying is not based on a potential future run so my logic of not buying is still sound. I am not going to buy it because I do not like it in the form that it will be offered.
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I'm on the fence, I would much rather have a different color or steel but don't want to miss out either. It could also come out in a steel/color I am not interested in so sometimes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.