Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopweaver

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Post by Hopweaver »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:45 am
PStone wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:37 am
Mushroom wrote: BladeHQ announced this will be a BladeHQ Exclusive.

:spyder:
Well crapola. This tanto will go the way of the dodo for me then. As in I won’t be able to get one. Will def try though. Fingers crossed it lasts longer than 5 mins.

But wouldn't it be crazy to put all the work, time and effort in designing the Tanto Blade for just ONE run of Exclusives? I mean that's something different than "just" taking another steel or change the handle color on a regular PM2...

I think there are more Tanto PM2s to come...
I tend to agree with this sentiment. I have a feeling this won't be a limited exclusive, but will just be exclusively available through BladeHQ.
Marketing at it's finest. Want to sell more Tanto PM2's? Make it an exclusive. Then add another exclusive, and another, etc... Voila, more knives sold! I cannot argue with this approach. Because I'm a sucker for good marketing and now I NEED one too! :D
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:25 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:58 am

I tend to agree with this sentiment. I have a feeling this won't be a limited exclusive, but will just be exclusively available through BladeHQ.
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Like Warstein posted earlier, this model was announced year ago, so it has some research and development, it would be kinda silly just to make only 600 of them....

Not my style, but I granted it to people who want some beefy blade grinds.

Yes, just to GRIND that kind of blade with all of the different grinds and swedge and hollow going in Spyderco quality must be a lot of work with a lot of thoughts involved beforehand. Again,"just" for an Exclusive? Can´t imagine that. And IF just for a BHQ Exclusive: I mean, what would they´d have to pay Spyderco for all the work and probably productions costs involved?

/ Pancake, have you watched Eric showing and explaining the Tanto PM 2 (I´ll link the vid once more, start at 18:30)? https://youtu.be/FH4Reaq ... e=youtu.be
Really, I was totally caught off guard when I did. I could NEVER imagine to actually like a Tanto blade... But this one, well, looks really good. Not "Walmart-Ninja-pseudo-cool", but really usefull. The totally straight, hollow ground edge must cut like a demon in many tasks, and not having to worry about the tip that much (but still HAVE a usefull tip) is a big plus...

I still don´t think that this could become my overall prefered EDC blade shape, but certainly something I am intrigued to try.

BUT: If it is an BHQ Exclusive, that´s bad news for us Europeans... :( Different to a sprint, an US Exclusive obviously will never make it in "our" stores.... :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Here's the real question: have they announced what kind of steel, or what color G10 scales?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:54 am
Here's the real question: have they announced what kind of steel, or what color G10 scales?
The one Eric is showing in the vid clearly is in S30V (says so on the blade), but sure that´s "just" a prototype!

I personally really like S30V and would be totally fine with it. In fact, I´d prefer it over many other options and if it makes the knife a bit more affordable, that´s a bonus too...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:57 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:54 am
The one Eric is showing in the vid clearly is in S30V (says so on the blade), but sure that´s "just" a prototype!

I personally really like S30V and would be totally fine with it. In fact, I´d prefer it over many other options and if it makes the knife a bit more affordable, that´s a bonus too...

S30V performs so much better than people give it credit for. It’s so ubiquitous now that I feel like people just ignore it, or assume it’s lackluster. People will get excited over s35vn and complain about s30v, when s30v holds an edge longer than s35. Makes no sense.

Knife people are weird. Haha
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I'll be fine if it's "only" s30v but would be super happy if it were Cruwear. Ideal application for this steel. CPM-SPY27 seems like it would be a good fit too! One can only hope!
AwayFromMySpydieHole

I’d be very happy with cruwear also. I too think it’s a great blade profile to take advantage of the steel.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Tanto PM2 in the BladeHQ Shot Show video was a production piece not a prototype. It will be black G10 with S30V. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:54 pm
The Tanto PM2 in the BladeHQ Shot Show video was a production piece not a prototype. It will be black G10 with S30V. :spyder:
I'll be happy to buy one in s30v if this is the case. I'm sure if it sells well we'll see additional Sprint/Exclusive variants.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:54 pm
It’s strange that they do an exclusive with a knife they put a lot into, in the standard offering Golden trim.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I can't imagine it's an exclusive.
Maybe they get only the first batch.
I am sure more Tantos will appear in the future.
Sahanna2

Post by Sahanna2 »

Hi guys, I’m new here so please correct me but forgive me if I’m violating any forum etiquette.

That said, I just want to make sure the idea is out there: how about a 3V PM2 tanto? I mean wouldn’t that be the absolute perfect steel for this? I’m still on the fence as to how useful this particular execution of a tanto would be to me, but if it was in that steel I think it would have to find its way into my collection somehow.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Well, it's our job to make sure that this initial batch doesn't collect dust on BHQ's shelves. Not that I think that's likely, but we all know that good response to the base model helps make a good argument for sprints....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I like that they added the swedge to it. Not sure if I'll actually buy one but I like what they're doing. Shows that maybe later we can get more complex grinds on golden made knives.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Come on BHQ, do a Jade handle with DLC M4 version! :cool:
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Any updates on pricing and when? Take my money already
sok

Post by sok »

I’m thinking on this one. If it had partial serrations, I’d be all in.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

I’m in. Love this style of tanto. Almost lum-like.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree...serrations would definitely put me in buy mode!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
dan31

Post by dan31 »

jabba359 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:15 pm
Come on BHQ, do a Jade handle with DLC M4 version! :cool:
This would be another 3 minute sell-out.