Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Post by jdw »

Double post
Last edited by jdw on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:32 am
I have stewed on this design since it was announced. I like it, however, I think I would prefer a Lum Tanto Folder with a compression lock.

I think that the Lum is the perfect design for a tanto, except for the liner lock.
I would be more for the PM2 profile than the Lum. It seems to me that there would be more of a market for the PM2. I have both the Ti and the BHQ version of the Lum. The drop in quality out of Seki in the intervening years between the two is really pretty amazing. Besides if Seki makes it somebody may try to clad the dang thing.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

jdw wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:32 am
I have stewed on this design since it was announced. I like it, however, I think I would prefer a Lum Tanto Folder with a compression lock.

I think that the Lum is the perfect design for a tanto, except for the liner lock.
I would be more for the PM2 profile than the Lum. It seems to me that there would be more of a market for the PM2. I have both the Ti and the BHQ version of the Lum. The drop in quality out of Seki in the intervening years between the two is really pretty amazing. Besides if Seki makes it somebody may try to clad the dang thing.
I never said it had to be out of Seki. It could be a whole new model out of Taichung or Golden. I just feel the blade and handle shape of the Lum Tanto were fantastic. M4 would be nice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the PM2 version will be awesome as well, but Mr Lum did a fantastic job on his tantos.

I'll probably have to buy either. If for nothing but to have a tanto with a compression lock.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:57 am
If Spyderco were to make this with the G10 handle and one type of steel, which steel would you want?

S30V
Cru Wear
M4
VG10
Maxamet
Other: And which one?
Personally CruWear for a working knife, which is where the Tanto shines I believe. Probably M4 too, though I don’t know how the toughness compares with CruWear. I’d be perfectly fine with S30V though if that made it more viable/marketable.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
ejdickie

Post by ejdickie »

Am in for a Tanto PM2: yes, i like it.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

This is the first I'm hearing of this, and I must say, I'm intrigued. I love my Lum Tanto, but it is a big knife and I'm finding myself trending towards smaller blades more and more lately. But god help them if they do it in natural G-10 and M4. They played that out fast.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

If this ends up being in a tough steel like M4, k390, cruwear, etc I am ALL ABOUT this.

I am missing a good tanto in my collection and that’s the perfect blade for a tough steel.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

PayneTrain wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 am
This is the first I'm hearing of this, and I must say, I'm intrigued. I love my Lum Tanto, but it is a big knife and I'm finding myself trending towards smaller blades more and more lately. But god help them if they do it in natural G-10 and M4. They played that out fast.

But but but....I love natural G10. And I love M4. :(
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:11 pm
PayneTrain wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 am

But but but....I love natural G10. And I love M4. :(
I'm with you. Blade HQ you got this?
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Im in
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

A Cruwear Para 3 Tanto is the stuff dreams are made of.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Please make it happen
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

While I'm not against this being offered as an option, I'm not in.

All due respect, I just can't help but think tacti-cool when I see a Tanto. I love Spyderco for their commitment to form following function. I'm just not convinced the Tanto is really that functional.
Last edited by kennethsime on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sok

Post by sok »

I’m in if it is a tanto with partial serrations in a tool steel. That is a very handy tool. It is probably not real handy in a nature boy environment, but in the concrete jungle where you are poking and cutting and scraping man made materials, a knife like this really shines.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Ready to buy, curious why do we hear from Sal the Father and founder and never from Eric the son and heir apparent? After all it was he who showed this!
sok

Post by sok »

Let’s make this happen.

This is my one and only hold over that isn’t a Spyderco. I have battled a lot of ninjas with it.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:15 pm
Ready to buy, curious why do we hear from Sal the Father and founder and never from Eric the son and heir apparent? After all it was he who showed this!
Because he's busy.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am personally not interested in Tanto blades generally, but who you are awaiting the Tanto PM2:

Watch the vid https://youtu.be/FH4Reaq ... e=youtu.be(thanks Spydergirl for posting!) starting at about 18:30... seems like the wait will be over soon :rolleyes:

(And I have to admit: This things looks great and one can see how many thoughts went into it..)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Awesome!
I’m not really a PM2 fan but I’ll buy one just to show my tanto support (and in hopes that it’ll trickle down to the Para 3).

You can tell in the newest video that this isn’t some generic tanto, they really put a lot of thought into the design on this blade.
I edc’d a tanto for about 7 years and put it through ****, I’m a big fan of the blade shape. It’ll be awesome to have a Spyderco version.
Hopefully it’ll be available in an upgraded steel like Cruwear, rex45, m4, k390, etc.
Last edited by Haunted House on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m in, too.

Having finally come to like the idea of a Breeden Captain, the PM2 tanto, which is reminiscent, requires no adjustment on my part; well, except for my fussiness about product-naming.

I’m out again (my first instinct was correct).

A tanto PM2 will complain to me it’s not really a PM2 just as my straight-spine Stretch keeps telling me it’s not really a Stretch.

Being a periodic purist is one of my many shortcomings.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”