What is this on the new Spydiechef lock bar?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: What is this on the new Spydiechef lock bar?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Nope just don't believe you is all. Sounds to me like you are just trashing Spyderco. How about some video?
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:42 am
Yeah that guy is really unlucky! Also wondering how his Spydiechef can have "major stick, lock play (vertical and horizontal)."
When a lock is very sticky you don't also have lock play. Also horizontal play is 99.9% of the time due to a loose pivot screw.

Pivot is tight AF. No blade play side to side whatsoever. I always keep my knives tighter than most, because I do not sit there playing with it. For me the knife is a tool with a designated purpose, not a toy. Not saying that the fidgeters out there are doing something wrong. After all, we all buy knives based on our needs and wants.

Lock stick is there, and so is the lock play. It is very odd, but it’s a fact. At least with the two samples that I own and the one I saw in store.
Keep in mind, I’m talking lock bar travel, not blade movement.

I also want to clarify something- I’m not trying to bash Spyderco or Taichung. They make some of my favorite knife designs. All I’m saying is that based on my OWN personal expwrience, every example I had was displaying lock issues.
Something that everybody needs to be aware of and perhaps check with their own knives.
I handled over a hundred Spydercos from all their current factories, and the only other knife that I had lock issues with (exact issue as described with the Taichung knives) was the Ed Schempp Barong.

I knew that my post would garner very negative reactions, and thought of not posting it to begin with.
However, for every one fanboy that wants to ignore the facts and keep believing that every Spyderco is perfect, and that their Taichung models are superior in any way to their counterpars, there’s a dozen of folks that would find my testimony interesting and mayhap even insightful.

Like I said, I posted my experience because I’m trying to share an occurrence that is not talked about often if ever. Last time I checked there was nothing wrong with that.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Not negative just call it disbelief without proof, if you care about being credible then provide some proof otherwise my experiences and others with the very same models are not aligning so therefore disbelief. The burden of proof is yours. Once proven your purpose for sharing will be appreciated until then, not so much.

For the third and final time some video please.

Thank you.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:25 am
ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:42 am
Yeah that guy is really unlucky! Also wondering how his Spydiechef can have "major stick, lock play (vertical and horizontal)."
When a lock is very sticky you don't also have lock play. Also horizontal play is 99.9% of the time due to a loose pivot screw.

Pivot is tight AF. No blade play side to side whatsoever. I always keep my knives tighter than most, because I do not sit there playing with it. For me the knife is a tool with a designated purpose, not a toy. Not saying that the fidgeters out there are doing something wrong. After all, we all buy knives based on our needs and wants.

Lock stick is there, and so is the lock play. It is very odd, but it’s a fact. At least with the two samples that I own and the one I saw in store.
Keep in mind, I’m talking lock bar travel, not blade movement.

I also want to clarify something- I’m not trying to bash Spyderco or Taichung. They make some of my favorite knife designs. All I’m saying is that based on my OWN personal expwrience, every example I had was displaying lock issues.
Something that everybody needs to be aware of and perhaps check with their own knives.
I handled over a hundred Spydercos from all their current factories, and the only other knife that I had lock issues with (exact issue as described with the Taichung knives) was the Ed Schempp Barong.

I knew that my post would garner very negative reactions, and thought of not posting it to begin with.
However, for every one fanboy that wants to ignore the facts and keep believing that every Spyderco is perfect, and that their Taichung models are superior in any way to their counterpars, there’s a dozen of folks that would find my testimony interesting and mayhap even insightful.

Like I said, I posted my experience because I’m trying to share an occurrence that is not talked about often if ever. Last time I checked there was nothing wrong with that.

No harm. No foul.

I don't have any problems with your comments and don't require any proof of your claims. I think the backlash you received is because people are too quick to have faith in anecdotal evidence, i.e., "my knife doesn't do that, so your's can't." It makes sense that a lock bar would have some wiggle in it if it were experiencing lock stick because lock stick is basically caused by uneven contact between the surface of the blade and that of the face of the lock bar.

My only concern about this conversation is purely selfish in nature. I made this post just wondering what the ugly discoloring was on my lock bar and it has progressed into a list of gripes (justified or unjustified depending on one's view) against the Spydiechef and Spyderco in general and those seeking to defend Spyderco. /shrug

I just like learning about the manufacture and production of knives.

In my case, I'm so enamored by the Spydiechef that I bought a backup, so I never had to be without one. Moreover, since this was the first time I liked a titanium folder (couldn't stand the Sebenza I once bought), I now have a Techno 2 in the mail to me.

I can't wait to hear an answer from someone at Spyderco about said discoloring once everyone gets back from SHOT Show and has the opportunity to get some rest and catch up with their important business.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:33 am
Not negative just call it disbelief without proof, if you care about being credible then provide some proof otherwise my experiences and others with the very same models are not aligning so therefore disbelief. The burden of proof is yours. Once proven your purpose for sharing will be appreciated until then, not so much.

Thank you.
Somehow I think that folk like youself, after watching a video proof, will still remain non-believers.
In this case, I must be a Spy that Cold Steel sent to sabotage Soyderco’s reputation. Lol!

Forgive the crappy quality. Shooting these is harder than I thought. Nevertheless, I hope you can see the lock travel. It does not appear substantial in the video, but is much more detectable in person.
Also, keep in mond that we’re not talking complete failure, but travel and lock instability.

https://youtu.be/Bfp9KBztyUU
Last edited by RazorSharp86 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

The video quality is not that bad. Yes I know videoing things like this is difficult and cameras tend to make things look better than they are, I do see the lock travel and it does seem to take allot of force to make it do that. So now I can accept what you have been sharing and the motivations for it, thank you.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:59 am

Thank you.
Somehow I think that folk like youself, after watching a video proof, will still remain non-believers.
In this case, I must be a Spy that Cold Steel sent to sabotage Soyderco’s reputation. Lol!

Forgive the crappy quality. Shooting these is harder than I thought. Nevertheless, I hope you can see the lock travel. It does not appear substantial in the video, but is much more detectable in person.
Also, keep in mond that we’re not talking complete failure, but travel and lock instability.

Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate your findings, after watching this I tried the same thing on my example and could not reproduce your results. The lock-up on mine is the proverbial bank vault.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Zatx wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:50 am
RazorSharp86 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:59 am

Thank you.

Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate your findings, after watching this I tried the same thing on my example and could not reproduce your results. The lock-up on mine is the proverbial bank vault.

Good to know.
Out of curiosity- is your version pre CQI or post? I mean does it have the stainless steel detent ball or ceramic?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Good vid. I always test lock for play. Never owned a Spydiechef.
Taichung isn’t perfect but they are amongst the best.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:50 am

Good to know.
Out of curiosity- is your version pre CQI or post? I mean does it have the stainless steel detent ball or ceramic?

This is the most recent iteration that is being produced and it has the ceramic detent.
Ungeheur

Post by Ungeheur »

So you have roughly 10% lock play when manipulating the knife in a way that it wasn’t designed for?

You will not get lock play even close to this while using this knife for normal edc tasks or food prep...

If you are using this knife for tougher tasks, you would be gripping it in such a way that would further reinforce the locking mechanism through your grip. This is the beauty of the frame lock.

If the nearly imperceptible lock play ever causes you injury or becomes a safety matter, then complain about it.

Through reading your posts, it sounds like you got bit by another model you owned because you were mis-using it — and bashing the knives somehow makes you feel better about a bad decision you made.

You mentioned that the problems with your spydiechefs weren’t serious enough for you to send them back. You also made it clear that you put your knives to the test and use them as the tools they were created to be. This would indicate that the problem you perceive with the lock play is not a serious issue at all.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Ungeheur wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:17 pm
So you have roughly 10% lock play when manipulating the knife in a way that it wasn’t designed for?

You will not get lock play even close to this while using this knife for normal edc tasks or food prep...

If you are using this knife for tougher tasks, you would be gripping it in such a way that would further reinforce the locking mechanism through your grip. This is the beauty of the frame lock.

If the nearly imperceptible lock play ever causes you injury or becomes a safety matter, then complain about it.

Through reading your posts, it sounds like you got bit by another model you owned because you were mis-using it — and bashing the knives somehow makes you feel better about a bad decision you made.

You mentioned that the problems with your spydiechefs weren’t serious enough for you to send them back. You also made it clear that you put your knives to the test and use them as the tools they were created to be. This would indicate that the problem you perceive with the lock play is not a serious issue at all.

It may appear that it travels only 10%, especially because I had to hold it in front of the camera, sitting down awkwardly. In actuality, I can almost get it to where it disebgages, and it’s not all that too hard.

Now, I know you came to Spyderco’s rescue, and are doing a fantastic job defending the brand and educating me on how to use a knife (after all, the tip of the blade is only there to slice through paper), and that’s all fine and dandy.

However, I can obviously see that you missed my point by a mile, and most likely also completely ignored half of my posts. I’m neither bashing, nor trying to make “excuses” for my bad decisions. I’m a big Soyderco fan and have probably spent much more money with the company that the average customer (yeah, I said it! I bought a ton of Spyderco knives and have others that are waiting on preorder).

All I tried to to do is show to people who do not choose to play keyboard cowboys everytime somebody does anything but sing Spyderco’s praises, that the Taichung factory can produce a product that isn’t perfect to say the least. In actuality, that knives coming out of that factory have consistently displayed lock issues IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.
Fuethermore, I refuse to believe that I’m the only one who got a Spydiechef with lock play (because I got two of them with the same issues back to back- nevermind the lockstick which also is an annoying issue that should not exist in any high end production knife).

So if you do not find this interesing in the least, please move on. I’ve heard the “misuse” comments many timesmover.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

PS.
CQI stands for Constant Quality Improvement.
If Soyderco isn’t aware that issues like these exist- how can they improve?

And nobody can say that lockbar stability when testing negative pressure should matter in this case. Because it does. We pay premium dollar for a premium product. If knife companies (Spyderco included) can manufactur liner lock and framelock folders that do NOT display lock stability issues on their knives, then why should I not expect the Spydiechefs that I bought with my hard earned money to not display this issue?! Why should the average customer not expect perfection within the realms of reality?! And who out there would want to suggest that these thpe of issues shouldn’t be reported when encountered?!

Again, if it was one out of 10 knives, I may have not mentioned it even. However, I experienced this same issue with all the Taichung liner/framelock knives that I bought over the last few years (even though the sample size is nit tremendous, of course), especially considering the fact hat the last two were of the same model, and displayed two of the same issues (stick and play).

Anyway, I think I’m beating a dead horse here, and I don’t wish this to be viewed as an attempt to highjack the post.

Peace and love to all you forum members,

-Val.
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

I’ve got a CQI version of the Spydiechef. Received it as a Christmas gift. I believe the manufacturing date is September 2018 (IR). This thread got me curious, so I checked out the end of the lock bar closely and tested for play in the lack bar and detent. Thankfully, there is zero blade play when the lock is engaged, and if there is any play in the detent (not 100%), it’s nearly imperceptible. I also had zero issues with lock stick and there doesn’t appear to be any coating on the end of the lock bar. It did take me some getting used to when I first got it, but I’m able to close it one handed without any issues now. I’m really, really glad I had none of the issues being described here. The Spydiechef is an amazing knife and is my first and only Spyderco. I don’t know that I would have considered purchasing a second if the first one had the issues you guys have mentioned, especially at that price point. It’s more than double the cost of any knife I’ve ever owned previously.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:22 pm
I twisted in the direction that would have pushed the lock further and theoretically make it more secure.
Didn’t workout for my finger, unfortunately.

Upon inspection, the knife displayed lock travel laterally when moderate amounts of force were applied to the spine of the blade (I test all my knives by pinching with both hands around pivot area, and applying pressure in the closing direction.

Really??

I just pulled out my GB1 and twisted, bent and flexed it in all directions. I slowly worked up to force levels that threatened to have the knife slipping out of my grip (this was rather scary, since it's a razor and if I lost my grip it would have ended badly)... the most I could get was a barely perceptible deflection when twisting the blade CW vs the handle, nothing else phased the lockbar. I would rate the GB1 as the most secure liner/Walker lock in my collection and as such virtually bomb-proof even for such a "weak" locking mechanism. FYI my copy is about 45-50% lockup.

Are all of your pillar screws tight and the pivot set up for minimal play?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Ungeheur

Post by Ungeheur »

Am I wrong in thinking that the design of a frame lock requires someramp on the lock bar?

With enough force, lock play will be perceptible by feel for sure. Especially if it’s being pushed to its engineered limits. Folding knives are not fixed blade knives...

Maybe someone from spyderco engineering team can chime in.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:33 pm
RazorSharp86 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:22 pm
I twisted in the direction that would have pushed the lock further and theoretically make it more secure.
Didn’t workout for my finger, unfortunately.

Upon inspection, the knife displayed lock travel laterally when moderate amounts of force were applied to the spine of the blade (I test all my knives by pinching with both hands around pivot area, and applying pressure in the closing direction.

Really??

I just pulled out my GB1 and twisted, bent and flexed it in all directions. I slowly worked up to force levels that threatened to have the knife slipping out of my grip (this was rather scary, since it's a razor and if I lost my grip it would have ended badly)... the most I could get was a barely perceptible deflection when twisting the blade CW vs the handle, nothing else phased the lockbar. I would rate the GB1 as the most secure liner/Walker lock in my collection and as such virtually bomb-proof even for such a "weak" locking mechanism. FYI my copy is about 45-50% lockup.

Are all of your pillar screws tight and the pivot set up for minimal play?

Glad to hear.
For the record- I do not think that a properly executed liner lock is “weak” in any way shape or form. I had plebty of liner locking folders in my life that stood up to real demebding tasks with no signs of failure. The GB looked and felt promising, too.

I know it’s hard to believe, but aside from an obvious manufacturing defect, there were no issues with the folder- screws were tight, so was the pivot. I always keep my knives tight and apply locktite after every disassembly. This GB was not disassembled prior to the event described in my previous post, however.

After the incident, I tried doing the same test that I show in the video with the Chef, and the lockbar movement was wuite prominent, with very poor stability when force was applied on the spine towards the closed position.

Again. Not saying they’re all faulty, or even that it is a common occurence. Just sharing my experience.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Brackish wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:25 pm
I’ve got a CQI version of the Spydiechef. Received it as a Christmas gift. I believe the manufacturing date is September 2018 (IR). This thread got me curious, so I checked out the end of the lock bar closely and tested for play in the lack bar and detent. Thankfully, there is zero blade play when the lock is engaged, and if there is any play in the detent (not 100%), it’s nearly imperceptible. I also had zero issues with lock stick and there doesn’t appear to be any coating on the end of the lock bar. It did take me some getting used to when I first got it, but I’m able to close it one handed without any issues now. I’m really, really glad I had none of the issues being described here. The Spydiechef is an amazing knife and is my first and only Spyderco. I don’t know that I would have considered purchasing a second if the first one had the issues you guys have mentioned, especially at that price point. It’s more than double the cost of any knife I’ve ever owned previously.

You got yourself a real great knife for a “first Spyderco”.
It’s my favorite EDC folder, and it meets my needs as such.
I love the performance of the steel, and how it feels on the whetstones.
The ergonomics are also great, considering its slender design and ease of carry.
The negative blade angle suits my uses excellently, as I cut plenty of media on top of various cutting surfaces quite often.

I am ambidextrous, and find it real easy to manipulate with either hand, as well.

Really cannot say much negative about the good ol’ Chef, except for the mentioned imperfections.

Luckily, it’s a framelock folder, so in use I am very confident in its ability to stay open and keep my fingers safe.
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

I've read through this post twice now.

Wow.

First off, I own a couple of the early Natives, and one of the first steel clip Enduras. There's been a few fixed blades in there as well.

I grew up carrying several traditional pocket knives, and was taught that that knife may very well close on your hand without notice.
Through the years, I've accumulated several different models of Spydercos / different locks. Used all of them, no Safe Queens.
Call me old and *itchy, but I'm nearly always aware that ANY folder (locking or slip joint) may close on your hand without warning.
I agree 100% with the OP, knives are tools, but everyone's first reaction is to call out the user and scream "abuse".
But then I guess that if all you cut up is sheets of printer paper and the occasional cardboard box, cutting / using the knife for anything else looks like abuse.
And yes, I've "abused" knives and other tools by not using them as perhaps intended, but crap happens.

Seems the fanboys here seem not to believe much without irrefutable video proof. Frankly, I'm surprised that no one mentioned that the OP had "voided the warranty" for stripping the knife down in the first place.

It's the piling on the OP that happens on this forum that annoys the **** out of me, and quite frankly keeps me from posting much at all.

Take this for what you will, but I'll back the OP all day long.

Moderators....feel free to remove this post if it doesn't meet community standards.
North of 49
awa54

Post by awa54 »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:01 pm
PS.
CQI stands for Constant Quality Improvement.
If Soyderco isn’t aware that issues like these exist- how can they improve?

And nobody can say that lockbar stability when testing negative pressure should matter in this case. Because it does. We pay premium dollar for a premium product. If knife companies (Spyderco included) can manufactur liner lock and framelock folders that do NOT display lock stability issues on their knives, then why should I not expect the Spydiechefs that I bought with my hard earned money to not display this issue?! Why should the average customer not expect perfection within the realms of reality?! And who out there would want to suggest that these thpe of issues shouldn’t be reported when encountered?!

Again, if it was one out of 10 knives, I may have not mentioned it even. However, I experienced this same issue with all the Taichung liner/framelock knives that I bought over the last few years (even though the sample size is nit tremendous, of course), especially considering the fact hat the last two were of the same model, and displayed two of the same issues (stick and play).

Anyway, I think I’m beating a dead horse here, and I don’t wish this to be viewed as an attempt to highjack the post.

Peace and love to all you forum members,

-Val.

Obviously, I have not seen/held/used your knives, so all of *my* comments are based on my use of Taichung made liner/frame lock knives that I own: GB1, Sage 1, Sage 2, GB Air, Nilakka and Positron.

I think the thing that may be getting some Spy-defenders keyed up is your general implication that Taichung liner/frame locks are substandard...

That view isn't really aligning with what many of us have experienced.

I also think that too many designs are now expected to somehow encompass all the best features possible to put in a knife; the Spydiechef is a cooks' tool which is also capable of EDC tasks, not a combat knife, not a chopper, not a multi-tool. The lock stability required to stab may be a benefit in some designs, but in a sheepsfoot bladed kitchen tool it seems like having a lighter handle and an easily manipulated (and it seems, somewhat flexible) lockbar are better choices.

Personally, I try to avoid putting pressure on the spine of any blade, even fixed blades... the spine-whack test a-la CS is an almost useless metric for me. Like any safety, a knife lock should be viewed as an aid in avoiding injury or accident, not as a foolproof way to make the item completely "safe" ...yes I have used a knife as an awl, also for other inappropriate tasks, I've broken and bent tips. But I also lead with the edge when doing less than advisable things like that, so that the blade isn't inclined to close on my hand... probably a habit that was formed in my early years, when locking knives were no where near as common and most of us carried slip joint jack knives.

Again, not trying to say your experience isn't true or doesn't have value, but I *do* feel like we should have more reasonable expectations of knives that have a design focus like the Spydiechef does...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...