What is this on the new Spydiechef lock bar?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Re: What is this on the new Spydiechef lock bar?

Post by TazKristi »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:22 pm
Would be nice to get a clear answer from Spyderco on this. Wonder what is going on?
What's going on was SHOT Show. ;) Once everyone is back in, we'll be able to better answer the questions. I could guess, but that's not what we do.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Oh now this is going to be interesting indeed. Evidently no quick answers, fascinating perhaps these issues people are experiencing take time to develops as some kind of reaction?

Just guessing, mine don’t count. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh and I just realized the question what’s going on is being misinterpreted. I did not mean Spyderco was dragging it’s feet with and explanation, I literally meant what’s going on that people are experiencing these issues.
Ungeheur

Post by Ungeheur »

Mikevan,

My knife has the same detent rock. Not sure if it’s a big issue to be honest. Didn’t even notice it until I saw your post.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Mine is boxed up and ready to go back to Spyderco tomorrow. Look forward to a resolution.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Got two CQI Chefs and both have major stick, lock play (vertical and horizontal), as well as the detent play.

None of these bother me enough to return to Spyderco, but it is an interesting data-point nonetheless.

I also had a Gayle Bradley 1 lock fail on me and nearly cut my index finger right off when I was trying to drill a hole in a plastic cover of vehicle (usually an easy task with most knives, but some of you here may scream “abuse!”)

My first Spyderco Techno (the first model) has major lock play as well (if tested properly), and went to Spyderco once for warranty work. They ended up sending me a new knife, which also had lock play when I tested it.
I gave up on it and sold it then.

So yeah....
They sure are pretty, the Taichung knives.
Their precieved quality is “top notch”, but as a knife user I must say that they’re far from being what most folk say about them.

Now, i may have been simply very unlucky, and got 4 “duds” from that factory. But I don’t think it’s coincidence.

Just my two cents, from my personal experience. YMMV..!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Before believing this I would like to see some video of these discrepancies. neither of my CQI Chefs have exhibited this, granted one is a back up and the other gets used allot.

Video can be easily uploaded to IMGR and shared here. I have purchased several knives that come from that factory and the only issues I have experienced with the Taichung factory is they do not always send them out as sharp as they should be.

As far as the Gayle Bradly 1 goes I have heard of Liner locks in other models disengaging under conditions where the blade is being twisted and can believe this is possible and thank those who report this so I will never attempt it but grab a cordless drill instead, lord knows I get tempted to do things like this as well.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:19 pm
Got two CQI Chefs and both have major stick, lock play (vertical and horizontal), as well as the detent play.

None of these bother me enough to return to Spyderco, but it is an interesting data-point nonetheless.

I also had a Gayle Bradley 1 lock fail on me and nearly cut my index finger right off when I was trying to drill a hole in a plastic cover of vehicle (usually an easy task with most knives, but some of you here may scream “abuse!”)

My first Spyderco Techno (the first model) has major lock play as well (if tested properly), and went to Spyderco once for warranty work. They ended up sending me a new knife, which also had lock play when I tested it.

So yeah....
Their precieved quality is “top notch”, but as a knife user I must say that they’re far from being what most folk say about them.

Now, i may have been simply very unlucky, and got 4 “duds” from that factory. But I don’t think it’s coincidence.

The Gayle Bradley 1 lock failed. ..WOW! Not trying to call you out ..but that's VERY HARD to believe! If this is all true you've definitely had bad Spyderco luck! Most certainly a coincidence. ..

My wife has a fresh Spydiechef coming from SFO ...I'll update on condition and function once it arrives! I'm not expecting any problems.

James
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RazorSharp86 wrote:

So yeah....

I've had two sage's with the RIL, and they've been very good. No play, solid lock up. It's weird that they have the same lock and one model can be so good and another so bad,
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Just for the record, OP here, the reason I made this post was not to discredit Spyderco or the Chef in any way. I was curious about the discoloring that I provided pictures of, but this knife is otherwise 100% perfect in every way. The lock stick I originally experienced is completely gone and this is the first knife that I always have on me. I keep this in my left front pocket and rotate other knives in the right, but more often than not, I always reach for the Chef. I’ve already ordered a backup and that in itself is also a first for me, and I have an extensive collection of Spyderco’s.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Yep me too, one for use and one for backup as I never want to be without this knife. I just pray Sal decides to make a new model of the chef exactly the same only larger some day. :)
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

RazorSharp86 wrote:

I have to assume you were twisting the handle of the knife with significant torque. Are you sure you didn't accidentally disengage the lock while twisting it? Seems like that could've happened.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:21 pm
RazorSharp86 wrote:

I have to assume you were twisting the handle of the knife with significant torque. Are you sure you didn't accidentally disengage the lock while twisting it? Seems like that could've happened.
I twisted in the direction that would have pushed the lock further and theoretically make it more secure.
Didn’t workout for my finger, unfortunately.

Upon inspection, the knife displayed lock travel laterally when moderate amounts of force were applied to the spine of the blade (I test all my knives by pinching with both hands around pivot area, and applying pressure in the closing direction.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Extra330SC wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:28 pm
RazorSharp86 wrote:

So yeah....

The Gayle Bradley 1 lock failed. ..WOW! Not trying to call you out ..but that's VERY HARD to believe! If this is all true you've definitely had bad Spyderco luck! Most certainly a coincidence. ..

My wife has a fresh Spydiechef coming from SFO ...I'll update on condition and function once it arrives! I'm not expecting any problems.

James

Yup. Mayhap I just have sucky luck. I don’t think I’m the only one though.
The GB was a favorite of mine until the lock failure.
It really took me by surprise, and almost took my finger with it..!
Ok. Maybe my finger wasn’t as close to being severed as I’m making it sound, but it was unpleasant to say the least!
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:29 pm
Before believing this I would like to see some video of these discrepancies. neither of my CQI Chefs have exhibited this, granted one is a back up and the other gets used allot.

Video can be easily uploaded to IMGR and shared here. I have purchased several knives that come from that factory and the only issues I have experienced with the Taichung factory is they do not always send them out as sharp as they should be.

As far as the Gayle Bradly 1 goes I have heard of Liner locks in other models disengaging under conditions where the blade is being twisted and can believe this is possible and thank those who report this so I will never attempt it but grab a cordless drill instead, lord knows I get tempted to do things like this as well.

Honestly, I don’t care what you believe whatsoever. And no offence, please.

Just grab your Chefs and apply negative force in the closing direction when the knife is open. One hand’s knickles pressing spine of the blade, other hand’s knuckles the handle. Pinch right at the pivot area.
It doesn’t take much. Really.
I actually forgot to mention that I also tested another Spidiechef in the store using the same method.
All three examples displayed major lock travel, both vertically and horizontally.

Keep in mind, I am a total Spyderco fan-boy. I truly wish that it wasn’t so. The Chef is ky favorite EDC folder (obviously, I bought a backup)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Folders have faults. It comes with the ability to fold. And the convenience of carry and storage without a sheath. Go fixed blade or use the appropriate tool. Complaining about innapropriate use is childish.

A folder is a slicer period.

A Folder can be conveniently carried but is not as stout as a fixed blade.

A folder is not a drill.

Get it? If not then hurt yourself but don’t blame a manufacturer that is B.S.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

The GB1 is designed without lock release cutout that should reduce accidental release. I cannot imagine what will happened if a Military or Tenacious (both with lock release cutout) was being used.

I don’t say it’s impossible but I have not heard anyone else reporting GB1 fail. Not in these 20 odd pages.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gay ... se.714931/

RazorSharp86, you must really have bad luck with Taichung made Spyderco. I only have GB1 and no others from Taichung. I’d say your way of testing is similar to what STR suggested. Safe but can detect early failure.
Chris :spyder:
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yeah that guy is really unlucky! Also wondering how his Spydiechef can have "major stick, lock play (vertical and horizontal)."
When a lock is very sticky you don't also have lock play. Also horizontal play is 99.9% of the time due to a loose pivot screw.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:06 pm
Folders have faults. It comes with the ability to fold. And the convenience of carry and storage without a sheath. Go fixed blade or use the appropriate tool. Complaining about innapropriate use is childish.

A folder is a slicer period.

A Folder can be conveniently carried but is not as stout as a fixed blade.

A folder is not a drill.

Get it? If not then hurt yourself but don’t blame a manufacturer that is B.S.

You sound a lot more hurt then me.
And every other folder that I used for similar tasks did great.
The knife’s lock was faulty, because it did not do its designated job.
I use my knives as I see fit. Not saying you should do the same. Cutting cardboard and slicing it paper may be all you use the knife for, and that’s ok.
I buy higher end knives because I expect them to perform better than the cheaper counterparts that we could all get by with.

I really laugh when folk like you make it personal. Like I’ve destroyed your hopes and dreams.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

anagarika wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:24 pm

The GB1 is designed without lock release cutout that should reduce accidental release. I cannot imagine what will happened if a Military or Tenacious (both with lock release cutout) was being used.

I don’t say it’s impossible but I have not heard anyone else reporting GB1 fail. Not in these 20 odd pages.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gay ... se.714931/

RazorSharp86, you must really have bad luck with Taichung made Spyderco. I only have GB1 and no others from Taichung. I’d say your way of testing is similar to what STR suggested. Safe but can detect early failure.

Yup. I also never heard of similar lock failure. Which is why it came as a big surprise. I wish it didn’t.

With that specific folder, I would think it may have had something to do with the finish at the contact point between the blade tang and lock face. I am speculating, however.