Double bladed folder again: Each blade in a different steel - weird idea?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Double bladed folder again: Each blade in a different steel - weird idea?!

Post by Wartstein »

There are two recent threads (one started by me) discussing a double bladed folder.

In "my" thread (concerning one blade could be a saw) cycleguy posted the following (excerpt):

..."or altogether a second and different blade shape or a mule blade to compare to the standard blade or... )"

The mule blade idea in a double bladed folder is an intriguing one, if you take up on it:

Imagine a double bladed folder, ONE blade in a very tough steel for hard use beater task, the other blade in a very hard but not so tough steel for long edge retention and prolonged light to medium tasks.

Either both blades in the exact same shape, or maybe the tough "beater" blade in thicker blade stock / sabre grind... and the very hard one in thinner FFG or hollow grind.

Maybe you could even harden the light duty blade to a very high extent, so it gets a bit brittle already, for you´d have the tough blade for tasks that could lead to chipping anyway...

What do you think? Totally weired idea, only knife nuts could come up with, or of some practical use?

Some will say: When I want a very tough and a very hard blade at the same time, I just carry TWO knives... right, BUT: That is valid for a double bladed folder / Dyad in ANY configuration (you can carry one serrated and one plain edge knife instead of a Dyad as easy as you can a "hard" and a "tough" one).

A problem I see is: Such a knife would be hard to sell, cause many consumers (who are not into knives) will not be able to SEE and thus understand the concept behind it - that is, one can not SEE the different properties of a very hard vs a very tough blade, while in a PE vs SE you can immidiately.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Re: Double bladed folder again: Each blade in a different steel - weird idea?!

Post by JD Spydo »

No that's not a weird idea at all. As a matter of fact it has been suggested and discussed here on more than one occasion. I can remember back to when the idea of a Salt Series DYAD came up for discussion>> at that time Spyderco had recognized that H-1 steel was the best that they had tested up to that time as being the best blade steel for Spyderedges.

The suggestion at that time was for the Salt Series Dyad to have the Spyderedged blade in H-1 and for the plain edged blade to be in one of the premium blade steels. Just recently within the past 6 months or so there was talk about having a full Sized Dyad with an H-1 Spyderedged blade and the plain edge blade made with LC200N. In that scheme you have ultimate corrosion resistance as well as two great utility blades.

Actually I would even prefer a blade scenario with two different blade steels for two different edge types.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:51 am
No that's not a weird idea at all. As a matter of fact it has been suggested and discussed here on more than one occasion. I can remember back to when the idea of a Salt Series DYAD came up for discussion>> at that time Spyderco had recognized that H-1 steel was the best that they had tested up to that time as being the best blade steel for Spyderedges.

The suggestion at that time was for the Salt Series Dyad to have the Spyderedged blade in H-1 and for the plain edged blade to be in one of the premium blade steels. Just recently within the past 6 months or so there was talk about having a full Sized Dyad with an H-1 Spyderedged blade and the plain edge blade made with LC200N. In that scheme you have ultimate corrosion resistance as well as two great utility blades.

Actually I would even prefer a blade scenario with two different blade steels for two different edge types.
Ok, thanks for the Info! Very interesting! I´ll have to search the forum for that thread when I have more time! (And sorry to bring the topic up obviously quite soon after it was discussed anyway... I am still a Rookie here, you know ;) )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:51 am

Is that the thread you mentioned? //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 1#p1218299

I my quote npad 69 who posted in the above linked thread:
... "you should wait for the upcoming salty dyad in LC200N (plain edge) and H1 (serrated edge) which is already in the works ;)"

So is this still true and a double bladed folder, each blade in a different steel IS in the works?

Though my original idea was more referring to a double bladed folder with two plain edge blades in different steels, maybe (but not necessarely) even of the same overall shape.
Does anybody happen to know if that´s ever been done? By Spyderco or any other manufacturer?
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

If one blade is serrated and one plain, then yes, definitely as the same steel has been shown to have different properties
in the different blades.

Pick the best performance / cost ratio for each.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm
If one blade is serrated and one plain, then yes, definitely as the same steel has been shown to have different properties
in the different blades.

You mean, it HAS been done by any manufacturer, or that the salty Dyad (H1 for SE, LC 200N for PE) is in the works?
Or just that you think the idea of different steels for the two blades is a good one?
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:50 pm
500Nitro wrote:
in the different blades.

You mean, it HAS been done by any manufacturer, or that the salty Dyad (H1 for SE, LC 200N for PE) is in the works?
Or just that you think the idea of different steels for the two blades is a good one?
I don't know if it's been done by Spyderco or any other manufacture.

But if an SE / PE Dyad, then I would definitely think it a good idea.

I can't remember who the posters were but some steels are far better in SE than they are in PE.

If single steel type, then maybe H1 or ???
I'm not a steel junkie so don't get into it much, I go with what knowledgeable people here say.

I think maybe H1 could do both blades ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:02 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:50 pm
500Nitro wrote:
in the different blades.

I don't know if it's been done by Spyderco or any other manufacture.

But if an SE / PE Dyad, then I would definitely think it a good idea.

I can't remember who the posters were but some steels are far better in SE than they are in PE.

If single steel type, then maybe H1 or ???
I'm not a steel junkie so don't get into it much, I go with what knowledgeable people here say.

I think maybe H1 could do both blades ?
Thanks for your reply!

But my original idea (actually not "my" idea of course, since many other had it before I am sure) was not about a Salty daydm but generally about a double bladed folder, each blade in a different steel - I my quote a part of my original post that started this thread, to maybe clarify:

"Imagine a double bladed folder, ONE blade in a very tough steel for hard use beater task, the other blade in a very hard but not so tough steel for long edge retention and prolonged light to medium tasks.

Either both blades in the exact same shape, or maybe the tough "beater" blade in thicker blade stock / sabre grind... and the very hard one in thinner FFG or hollow grind.

Maybe you could even harden the light duty blade to a very high extent, so it gets a bit brittle already, for you´d have the tough blade for tasks that could lead to chipping anyway...

What do you think? Totally weired idea, only knife nuts could come up with, or of some practical use?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I like the idea Wartstein.

Maybe go with Maxamet or CPM 10V/15V for the harder blade, and CPM Cru-Wear or 4V for the thicker, tougher blade.

It truly is a steel geek's idea. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

This would be best if the folder was completely symmetric so you couldn’t tell which blade was which and the steels were not marked. They could call it the Double Blind :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:19 pm
This would be best if the folder was completely symmetric so you couldn’t tell which blade was which and the steels were not marked. They could call it the Double Blind :)
:p