Techno 2 - quick look and more...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PiterM

Techno 2 - quick look and more...

Post by PiterM »

So... let me share some initial thoughts after about 3 weeks of carrying and using Techno 2. First of all - it’s easy to spot the similarities between Techno 2 and original one - very close handle shape, overall size, hole positioning vs handle. But it’s actually substantially different knife in performance and cutting action imho. It’s a matured design. In a small knife like Techno a modified warncliff blade style with slightly curved edge performs imho (!) a bit better. Mainly thanks to straighter (but not straight!) and effectively longer cutting edge, which is positioned lower vs line of a handle.

Also I just like that blade shape a lot more - it’s kind of modified santoku with sharp tip (that’s also why I like so much Sebenza Insingo). Blade stock is slightly thinner than on Techno 1, so despite a lower grind line the cutting performance and V-geometry is on pair with excellent cutting power of Techno 1. Or even better (especially in hard materials) as the spine is considerably thinner. Tip is still very sharp (it’s absolutely NOT a safety tip, like classic sheepfoot blade). Also precize cutting through stuff like paper, leather, etc. on a flat board is so much easier with this „pointy warncliff” style blade.

Opening is easy, action is smooth (but it’s not a friction-less action of ballbearing pivot... thanks Lord!). Lock is very positive. Actually handle slabs are considerably thicker than on first Techno, so Techno2’s frame lock is even more secure and solid.

Clip is a standard wire clip, works well with low signature. The lanyard hole positioning is perfect, at the very end of Ti slabs - so lanyard makes a natural extension of a handle. On a small knife like this - it’s a good thing.

So far the weather locally makes it hard to test it in the field. Too much snow, everything is frozen. I tried it a bit, it cuts really well (as expected) but for a long term cutting review you need to wait a bit more. Anyway, so far so good! Should be great EDC, especially combined with SAK and/or small prying tool like this one pictured (by Woro Knives) or Atwood’s PryBaby.

Which one do I prefer? Well, both are great, original Techno is now a Spyderco’s classic. But for aesthetics (my own aesthetics, so ymmv) and performance I guess Techno 2 has a clear edge over the first version (thinner blade, thicker Ti, warncliff blade). Only time will tell.

But no worry, this thread WILL be continued :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Techno 2 - quick look and more...

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for the review. I find this knife interesting. I cannot make up my mind whether I like the blade shape or not, but the design does address a few other issues I had with the original Techno, especially the handle.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Appreciate the insights, and great photos. I have a Techno 1, which I really enjoy. Enjoyed the thoughts on 1 vs 2, particularly the benefits of the lower edge relative to handle centerline. Might sway me to get a 2...
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yeah real nice review, although I'm probably one of the few who would say I like the design of the T1 a little more. But still a great looking knife!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This is a platform I don't really considering adding to my stable, but i certainly appreciate reading a well done review and photos! Nice job!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yeah, the T2 is on my list... I’d like to see it in M4 or REX45 though!
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks for the great pictures.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Thanks for the thoughts and pics. It took me a few tries for the Techno 1 to click, and I'm not sure why I'd like the 2 better. I'm glad to have the first version because I think it's a real classic, and I'll have the 2 at some point as I have and enjoy all of the other Slysz colabs.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice review. I'll be looking forward to hearing more.

I do prefer the look of the Techno 2 over the Techno 1. I have not seriously considered buying either yet, though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Thanks! And today’s setup (fixedblade Friday) with T2 as a companion blade:

Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Have you handled a Spydiechef? I wonder how the two compare. I absolutely love how thin the Chef is and wonder how much chunkier the Techno 2 is in the pocket.

Does it flick open, or is the blade too short?
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Zatx wrote: Does it flick open, or is the blade too short?
I don't flick open knives at all so my experience is really poor in this regard...

Zatx wrote: Have you handled a Spydiechef? I wonder how the two compare. I absolutely love how thin the Chef is and wonder how much chunkier the Techno 2 is in the pocket.
I've got the 'chef of course, awesome knife. Techno 2 is a bit thicker, but shorter and half oz lighter (roughly). I didn't notice any significant difference, actually Techno 2 is VERY carryable. It's also lighter than first Techno. I like the compact size and very usable nature of the Techno 2, especially when paired with other small but capable EDC items, like that Mini Tool:

PiterM

Post by PiterM »

And a quick comparison with original Techno.

Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I'm really looking forward to receiving my Techno 2 from Golden when the USPS and UPS start delivering mail again! The box containing mine is currently sitting on the side of the highway somewhere between Denver and Indianapolis. :eek:

By the way, excellent tastes and photography skills! What rig are you using?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I gotta say I like the look of the 2 more than the 1, and after using my 1 during its “15 minutes of fame”, would now welcome the thinner blade and its flattened belly, but I don’t yet see a compelling reason to replace my 1 with a 2. I do know that the model’s novelty is not such that I want both...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Zatx wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:21 pm
By the way, excellent tastes and photography skills! What rig are you using?
Hi! Fuji X-T2 and XF 60mm f/2.4 Macro lens
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Today, my Techno2 arrived, and I gifted my Techno1 to a neighbor who leaves tomorrow for a year in Afghanistan.

The 1 should serve him well.

But the 2, with its flattened belly and thinner blade, will surely see me use it more than the original. This refinement moves the Techno out of the novelty realm for me.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

EDC perfection...

youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

This is my own subjective opinion on this, and just a disclaimer I own the T1 and have never handled or owned a T2 so keep that in mind..

Both the T1 and T2 are novelty(ish) knives. They don't do any particular job well, obviously not great slicers (it thicc), they are not great EDC (heavy for size), and if you wanted a mini pry bar, it would be way more practical to get a TOPS Xcest Delta or something from Medford or Miller blades. The Techno is just a little too nice to be an actual pry bar. So the novelty factor is a very small, refined, polished, smooth actioned Ti framelock that also is extremely overbuilt, in a pretty good steel as well. So if you are buying for the novelty factor then, the T1 would be the undisputed champion here, as there are not many other production knives build this small and refined but also wielding that thick of a blade at 4.5 whopping mm. The Techno 1 was the purest and most unadulterated expression of this extreme novelty and aesthetic Slysz wanted. If you ever hold a T1 the blade thickness just jumps out as a defining feature of the knife, and although the rest of the knife is very nice, the thick blade is what made it cool as heck. Now the Techno 2 came along after input from the community was incorporated, feedback that basically watered it down and made it more practical, usable, sliceable, etc. With its 3.5MM blade in the T2, it does not have that special hallmark that made the original so different and unique, and the T2 became a small Ti framelock that was much more similar to many other options you could probably find on the market. It has thicker scales, but I dont think I've ever held any of my knives and went 'whoa, this thing is so awesome because the scales are super thick'. It still fills a part of Spyderco's lineup being what it is, as there isnt anything similar in that size or level of quality, but it got watered down by people who I don't think appreciated it for the artistically novel expression that it was. I guess if you really really like the T1, and liked it so much you wanted a version you could use and carry every day, the T2 might be good... not great by any means though, as far as practicality. To me the loss of the 4.5mm blade meant the knife lost its identity.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Techno 2... still one of the coolest looking small Spydies. And so useful too!