Do I need a Chaparral LW?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ruudr

Re: Do I need a Chaparral LW?

Post by Ruudr »

The Chap LW will drop on my doormat on Tuesday :)
Thanks for the advice!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ruudr wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:24 am
Thanks for the advice!
I'd love to hear your first impressions... maybe you'd like to share it here?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Such a great knife. Really all you would need. Though “need” rarely informs many of these purchases.
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:36 am
Ruudr wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:24 am
Thanks for the advice!
I'd love to hear your first impressions... maybe you'd like to share it here?
No problem ;)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I don't know if you need a Chaparral LW; but I do know I need a Chaparral CF!!!

I'm certain this didn't help any!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
bigtbear

Post by bigtbear »

Chaparral LW is very light and with thinnest Profile, you won't feel it in yr pocket when EDC it all day long. Personally, i owned a Titanium Chaparral but acquired the LW version and it has been in my pocket more often than titanium.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You will love that Chaparral LW. It is the ultimate locking pocket knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:57 am
You will love that Chaparral LW. It is the ultimate locking pocket knife.
Second that. Since I got mine quite recently I marvel every day how a Endura-guy like me can love that litte thing so much... :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

No. But you should get one anyway.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

Some first impressions.
I like the weight! Its light but not too light. It has more strenght than I thought.I mean that I thought that the knife was very flexible due to the FRN. But the milled liners work great.

I like the pattern and color of the FRN. It provides a lot of grip. No hotspots. The transition from the FRN to the backspacer and backlock is seemless. Good job Spyderco!
The jimping on the thumbramp is perfect. Not too sharp.
Some critics:
The thumbhole is extremely sharp. I almost cut my thumb on it. I chamfered it with a diamond file. No probs anymore.
The backlock is very hard to unlock. I have to press really hard on it to disengage. The sides of the lock are rounded so it won’t cut you. But still it leaves a deep impression in the thumb. The Native5 is much smoother and doesn’t requir so much force to disengage. Will the backlock break in over time? Hopefully!
Here are some pictures!Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Ruudr on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Ruudr wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:28 am
Some first impressions.
I like the weight! Its light but not too light. It has more strenght than I thought.I mean that I thought that the knife was very flexible due to the FRN. But the milled liners work great.

I like the pattern and color of the FRN. It provides a lot of grip. No hotspots. The transition from the FRN to the backspacer and backlock is seemless. Good job Spyderco!
The gimping on the thumbhole is perfect. Not too sharp.
Some critics:
The thumbhole is extremely sharp. I almost cut my thumb on it. I chamfered it with a diamond file. No probs anymore.
The backlock is very hard to unlock. I have to press really hard on it to disengage. The sides of the lock are rounded so it won’t cut you. But still it leaves a deep impression in the thumb. The Native5 is much smoother and doesn’t requir so much force to disengage. Will the backlock break in over time? Hopefully!

There is no such thing... maybe on the thumbramp. How is the pocket clip ... many of us complained about the wire clip not being stiff enough. You didn't give us your final conclusion : you like it or not ? Is it a keeper ? If not, send it my way ;)
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:51 am
Ruudr wrote:
Some first impressions.

Some critics:

There is no such thing... maybe on the thumbramp. How is the pocket clip ... many of us complained about the wire clip not being stiff enough
You are right! Changed it ;)
The clip is awesome. My clip is pretty stiff actually!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Ruudr wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 am
elena86 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:51 am
Ruudr wrote:
Some first impressions.

Some critics:

There is no such thing... maybe on the thumbramp. How is the pocket clip ... many of us complained about the wire clip not being stiff enough
You are right! Changed it ;)
The clip is awesome. My clip is pretty stiff actually!

Final conclusion :confused: Is it a keeper ? If not, send it my way :p I need a backup ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

Absolutely a keeper! It´s almost not noticable in the pocket, has a great deep carry clip. The blade is nice and thin. Great blade geometry and I like the FRN very much.
I´ll try to sharpen it today up to 8000 grit and then strop it. Will post pics of the end result later ;)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Congrats on the Chappie!

Mine was pretty stiff to unlock at first, but broke in very well, have no issues with it now. My Baby Horn was similar. Not sure what to make of the wire clip concerns, to me it seems the same as all my other wire-clipped Spydies.

One other thing I feel compelled to mention is that I think the world would be a better place if we all agreed that the small notches cut into the spine, etc, for traction are called "jimping."

A "gimp" is, uhhh, something else. :D
:spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I always thought "gimp" was related to someone walking with a hitch in their giddy up...so I googled "gimp" Oh my...not very work appropriate images popped up hahaha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

<r><QUOTE author="Ruudr" post_id="1300670" time="1548159072" user_id="21014"><s>
Ruudr wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:11 am
</s>
Absolutely a keeper! It´s almost not noticable in the pocket, has a great deep carry clip. The blade is nice and thin. Great blade geometry and I like the FRN very much. <br/>
I´ll try to sharpen it today up to 8000 grit and then strop it. Will post pics of the end result later <E>;)</E>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Great you took the time to post your first impressions! And also great you like the Chap seemingly as much as I hoped you would...

Maybe now you could even imagine that a longer version of that slicer-king was a not too bad idea? I actually do and started a poll about it: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... r#p1295580

Concerning the stiff backlock: The one of my Chap is pretty strong but totally ok, but than I am a climber and guitar player, so probably my fingers are rather strong and have some callus..
There is a quite recent thread here and also a vid on youtube describing an easy mod: Just move the spring if the backlock a tiny bit and the lock will be less stiff but still strong enough. (Can't explain better at the moment, maybe you search for the thread or someone who can explain better would like to chime in).
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

[quote=
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:32 am
Concerning the stiff backlock: The one of my Chap is pretty strong but totally ok, but than I am a climber and guitar player, so probably my fingers are rather strong and have some callus..<br/>
There is a quite recent thread here and also a vid on youtube describing an easy mod: Just move the spring if the backlock a tiny bit and the lock will be less stiff but still strong enough. (Can't explain better at the moment, maybe you search for the thread or someone who can explain better would like to chime in).</r>
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 7#p1192027
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:32 am
Concerning the stiff backlock: The one of my Chap is pretty strong but totally ok, but than I am a climber and guitar player, so probably my fingers are rather strong and have some callus..<br/>
There is a quite recent thread here and also a vid on youtube describing an easy mod: Just move the spring if the backlock a tiny bit and the lock will be less stiff but still strong enough. (Can't explain better at the moment, maybe you search for the thread or someone who can explain better would like to chime in).</r>
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 7#p1192027
Thanks!! That's exactly the post I remembered but couldn't find at the moment. Hope that helps, OP! (though the lock will break in to some extent anyway I guess)