KW CF/M4 PM2 question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
91bravo

KW CF/M4 PM2 question

Post by 91bravo »

I figured I would ask this over here. A member on another forum claims the handles on his KW CF/M4 Pm2 is layered CF instead of one solid piece. KW advertises it as solid carbon fiber. He thinks it's two different pieces of carbon fiber glued together. He posted some pics and I'm guessing it's something from applying the peel ply texture to the surface of the carbon fiber.

Here are the pics he posted. What do you Spyderco forumites think?
anycal

Re: KW CF/M4 PM2 question

Post by anycal »

As far as I know, 'solid' CF is layers of thin crystaline material. So technically, it is all layers. Seems like the peel ply layer is done separately, then layered to the rest of it. Does that still make it solid CF, if done in two separate batches?
Peter
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I just looked at mine. One side has a little something going on that could be mistaken for a layer, but I think it's more likely something left by a cutting tool. When you move the scale around in the light you see the full weave continuity of the slab at better viewing angles.

I forget if there were two runs of these. Mine would have been the first run.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Anycal is right in that cf is naturally many layers of woven fibers but the kw M4 PM2 as well as the 52100 military series are solid pieces of cf, no G10 like on the chap or Gayle Bradley’s.
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

It's one solid machined piece of CF (or two, one for each handle side).

The quality is very very high as well, and I like the execution on this better than the CF Yojimbo 2.

EDIT: I just noticed that the knife in the picture is set-up as right side tip down (as it comes from the factory). The guy who posted the pictures hasn't moved the clip to RHTU. He's not to be trusted, or talked to.

Username827

Post by Username827 »

Lol, you cannot trust them when it is tip down. That made my day!
ThomS

Post by ThomS »

"The guy who posted the pictures hasn't moved the clip to RHTU. He's not to be trusted, or talked to." Best quote in the Spyderco Forum.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I don’t have the KW M4 pm2, but my 52100 CF pm2 scales appear to be two pieces glued together then mulled for the liner. The joint appears to match the depth of the liner pocket. Both pieces are clearly still CF. So is it still solid CF? Yep.