Spyderco new FRN Lightweights: What do you think will be the best?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
timlara

Re: Spyderco new FRN Lightweights: What do you think will be the best?

Post by timlara »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:10 am
Jazz wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:36 am
Why can’t there ever be a Caly 3 lightweight? 3.5 has too much blade packed in it. Doesn’t feel right.
ukpk is pretty close.
Totally agree, the UKPK is basically a Caly 3 without a lock, which makes it perfect for my use.

(Although considering what I've seen Jazz do with a Manbug, he probably *does* need a lock. :D )

As far as what I'm most looking forward to, the Para3 LW is definitely it. The only thing I wasn't crazy about on the regular Para3 is the clip and they fixed that issue, so it's a homerun for me.
Tim
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Tim, Wartstein, and others: If someone were to ask you the following advice question, what would your response be? They say to you "Sir/friend, I have to choose between the Spyderco Wharncliffe Endura folder, or, wait, and get the Caly 3.5 Light Weight, with FRN handle. What do you suggest I do? Save up for the Endura Wharncliffe, or, save up for the Caly 3.5 Light Weight? Which one?" What would your replies be?

Their uses will be an everyday cutting tool for everything from fruits and vegetables to making sandwiches and breaking down cardboard boxes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:30 pm
Tim, Wartstein, and others: If someone were to ask you the following advice question, what would your response be? They say to you "Sir/friend, I have to choose between the Spyderco Wharncliffe Endura folder, or, wait, and get the Caly 3.5 Light Weight, with FRN handle. What do you suggest I do? Save up for the Endura Wharncliffe, or, save up for the Caly 3.5 Light Weight? Which one?" What would your replies be?

Their uses will be an everyday cutting tool for everything from fruits and vegetables to making sandwiches and breaking down cardboard boxes.
I´d reply:
If you have to choose between just these two folders, go for the Caly 3.5 LW; why? In my opinion a knife for "everything" should feature some belly, which the Wharnie obviously and by concept does not.. especially when cutting against a cutting board (food prep), I think some belly often times comes in handy
If I may throw in a third suggestion: Go for the regular Endura... ;) (again, if your goal is to purchase a knife literally for "everything", maybe not the best in any task, but good for all)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:30 pm

I would be confused and wondering why anyone was asking me about knifes that don’t exist. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I would say take a look at another option the Spydiechef.

It will do the everyday stuff and excel in the kitchen for the tasks you described it is completely rust proof not just resistant.

It has the perfect blade geometry and a cutting edge area of a full blown Military in a smaller blade and is incredibly light weight and will kick most everything out of the pocket upon adoption and as a final piece of awesomeness is easy to sharpen to a very sharp edge with very little effort the LC200N steel is tough as well.