Spyderco new FRN Lightweights: What do you think will be the best?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Spyderco new FRN Lightweights: What do you think will be the best?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Police4 and Caly3.5 in LW versions both excite me. They should both have amazing power to weight ratios. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Seems to me the lightweights are here to stay, in another thread titled Hard Truths, Sal pretty much spells it out. These FRN scales are not only popular but a good way to cut costs and get good quality knives into people’s hands that have less available disposable income.
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I'm most interested in the Para 3. The G10 versions have become my go to models for edc. I rotate between s110v, m4, and maxamet models.
Never had a knife in CTS-BD1N. I kind of wish the knife was in something different. I'm certainly no steel expert but I think m4 is my personal current favourite. I'd like to try something in k390 but the current model offerings don't appeal to me.
I realize the CTS-BD1N is probably helping keep the price point down a bit.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I was surprised by the Para 3 LW - the contouring, the wire clip, the blade steel, the texturing, etc. I'm more interested to see what other FRN models will bring. Is the Para 3 at the vanguard of a refreshed FRN lineup (Golden and Seki models)? If so, many knives would be appealing and I don't think I could pick just one.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

tjsblade wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:19 am
I'm most interested in the Para 3. The G10 versions have become my go to models for edc. I rotate between s110v, m4, and maxamet models.
Never had a knife in CTS-BD1N. I kind of wish the knife was in something different. I'm certainly no steel expert but I think m4 is my personal current favourite. I'd like to try something in k390 but the current model offerings don't appeal to me.
I realize the CTS-BD1N is probably helping keep the price point down a bit.
Try you some M390 if you get a chance, if you want another stainless steel. That and M4 are my favorite of my 5 Para 3's.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:06 pm
Police FRN is worth considering but I do not want anymore rusty steels like K390.
For me it's _only_ worth considering because of the K390, which is one of my favorite steels.

Different folks, as they say...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I sort of feel like Spyderco started this train with my favorites--Manix 2 and Chaparral. I'll probably try the Para 3 (because I like it so much more than the Para 2, which I just can't get into), and the Police 4 (because the K390 Police 4 is my favorite large folder--bumping out the 204p Military).
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sal mentioned maybe moving to a different maker for the Caly 3.5 not long ago. Where do you think the FRN Caly 3.5 would be made? What if it was... Golden?! No chance?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 am
Sal mentioned maybe moving to a different maker for the Caly 3.5 not long ago. Where do you think the FRN Caly 3.5 would be made? What if it was... Golden?! No chance?

Likely the same Seki maker that does the Endura, Delica etc.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really just hope the handles are less square than the Manix 2 and Native 5. Please round off those corners.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:12 am
I really just hope the handles are less square than the Manix 2 and Native 5. Please round off those corners.
Agree. I have a Manix LW and while overall I like it the squared of handle edges are a put off. Almost makes it look "cheap".
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 am
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:06 pm
Police FRN is worth considering but I do not want anymore rusty steels like K390.
For me it's _only_ worth considering because of the K390, which is one of my favorite steels.

Different folks, as they say...
Yep different, if it rusts like K390 does, it defeats one of my primary requests for a folder. Sure it is a great steel but not all steels with a single great characteristic make it with me. Others may focus on that one characteristic to the exclusion of all else but I have come to prefer a balance in my steel that goes like this.

VG-10 and LC200N both will carry a high degree of sharpness higher than the heavy carbide steels. Both will resist corrosion LC200N is just plain rust proof. Both are stupid fast to sharpen. VG-10 is the only steel I have ever experienced that the ultra fine sharpmaker stones bring out tree topping hair shaving sharpness in with only 20 strokes per side at 15 degrees.

I do appreciate K390 but will never buy another knife with that steel, the lowest I will ever go into the yeas it will rust steels will be M4 that stuff is very impressive in my Military.

Since experiencing VG-10 & LC200N I have lost interest in many steels for the most part.

My favorite steels have become in this order , VG-10, LC200N, Elmax,S90V it is allot like S110V but there is just something about it and the way it cuts and how the edge takes a honing that agrees with me better. CTS-204P, M390,S110V, S35VN,M4, HAP40, TOFUKU2,S30V, K390.

There are some more carpenter steels in collection but not use will have to decide on them later ;)
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:36 am
Why can’t there ever be a Caly 3 lightweight? 3.5 has too much blade packed in it. Doesn’t feel right.
This
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:
And this.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

I hope to see a military lw, not because I imagine it'll be supremely lighter, but because maybe we can finally have a left hand and/or tip up option.
"Seven for One"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

silvershade255 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:07 pm
I hope to see a military lw, not because I imagine it'll be supremely lighter, but because maybe we can finally have a left hand and/or tip up option.
This :)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:36 am
Why can’t there ever be a Caly 3 lightweight? 3.5 has too much blade packed in it. Doesn’t feel right.
I understand where you are coming from but I love the 3.5 inch. I wish they would make BOTH the 3 inch AND 3.5 inch for both of us my friend :)

Thank you again for all your great posts and feedback.
SpyderEdgeForever

Evil D wrote:
I agree to a large extent. On some knives I like corners and on others I like it smoother.
SpyderEdgeForever

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:17 am
Seems to me the lightweights are here to stay, in another thread titled Hard Truths, Sal pretty much spells it out. These FRN scales are not only popular but a good way to cut costs and get good quality knives into people’s hands that have less available disposable income.
Great point and I believe sal is right.
SpyderEdgeForever

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:57 am
Out of that group, only the Caly 3.5 intrigues me. The Endura lacks a 50/50 choil and is a bit too long to ride comfortably in my back pocket and the other two have wrong handed locks.
The Caly 3.5 is the one I am most interested in.