The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Post by Wartstein »

In some recent thread Sal mentioned that a new member of the Endura-family would be in the works; sized between Endura and Delica. Called the "Endela" (don´t know if that is just the project name or also what it will be called when finally released (can´t wait!))

- Delica was my very first Spyderco, I still like it a lot - the blade is just a little short for my taste;
- Endura is probably still my overall favorite folder alongside with the Stretch - it´s just a tad long when carried in jeans pockets
- The perfect sized Spyderco for me is the Stretch 1

So...combine the three statements above, and you probably can imagine that I am VERY excited about this "Endela"... ;)

What I´d hope for concerning this new model is quite easily summarized:

In overall shape and looks keep it as close to Endura / Delica as possible, just give it a size between the two (that would mean a closed length of about 11,8 cm, and a blade length of about 8,5 cm)

So no choil, no wire clip, please.

Only thing I´d wish for: Make the blade as long as possible, so that it really goes right to the end of the handle when the knife is closed (not the case especially with the Delica) - that would mean it would be quite similar to the Stretch in length.

Concerning blade thickness, I´d prefer the thinner stock of the Delica (2,5 mm), but the 3 mm of the Endura wouldn´t be the end of the world either.

What would YOU like to see in an upcoming "Endela"?
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
p_atrick

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Post by p_atrick »

I don't want to place too many expectations on the Endela (easier to be disappointed?). I really like my Endura save for one small thing; the "hump" in the handle falls in a place that is just a bit uncomfortable when I pick up the knife in a grip that feels "natural". Its not a hot spot or anything like that, just a minor annoyance. If I change my grip, then holding the knife feels a bit "off". I realize that this sounds like I am nitpicking, and I should probably see if some sandpaper will help. I hope the Endela is a perfect fit for my hand. Any other features would be icing on the cake.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:10 pm
I don't want to place too many expectations on the Endela (easier to be disappointed?). I really like my Endura save for one small thing; the "hump" in the handle falls in a place that is just a bit uncomfortable when I pick up the knife in a grip that feels "natural". Its not a hot spot or anything like that, just a minor annoyance. If I change my grip, then holding the knife feels a bit "off". I realize that this sounds like I am nitpicking, and I should probably see if some sandpaper will help. I hope the Endela is a perfect fit for my hand. Any other features would be icing on the cake.
Funny, that "hump"-problem in the Endura is mentioned by many people, expecially when they have larger hands... for ME personally the Endura handle is just perfect (even a tad better than the one of the Stretch) though my hands are a "large large", maybe even a "small X-large"...

But, speaking of the Stretch: Have you ever tried it? In some ways (not in all) it is a bit smaller Endura, with more handfilling hanlde, featuring a choil... If you want to look at it: I personally think the Stretch 1 is even better than the 2 (but harder to find, due to beeing discontinued already).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:18 pm
But, speaking of the Stretch: Have you ever tried it?
I've heard nothing but good things about the Stretch (save for the looks, but I don't care about that). The problem is, I live/work in San Francisco. The legal limit is 3" for the blade. Moreover, I work in a school (OH MY GOD HE HAS A WEAPON!). I'm trying to be more intentional about the knives I buy, so I'll probably pass on the Stretch for now (I already have too many knives that I am not supposed to carry).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:18 pm
But, speaking of the Stretch: Have you ever tried it?
I've heard nothing but good things about the Stretch (save for the looks, but I don't care about that). The problem is, I live/work in San Francisco. The legal limit is 3" for the blade. Moreover, I work in a school (OH MY GOD HE HAS A WEAPON!). I'm trying to be more intentional about the knives I buy, so I'll probably pass on the Stretch for now (I already have too many knives that I am not supposed to carry).
Man, these knife laws are crazy... (btw, have you followed the thread in the "off topic" forum, where a guy asks for advice, cause he was handcuffed and - I guess - fined for carrying a Para 3?); I mean, a knife is a TOOL first and foremost... And if carrying one is illegal, people who SEE it as a tool will stop carrying it way more likely than people who want to use it as a weapon imo (cause the second group will probably contain more people who do not care to much about laws anyway...).
Anyway: The Stretch is as good and better than they say.. ;) Full recommendation, IF you ever choose to purchase another "illegal" knife.. ;)
Greetings from Austria, Europe, where I can carry basically any knife I like. Wish it would be the same for you...
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

Please no finger grooves. Many knives that I think I would've liked have turned out to give me the finger because they sport finger grooves that don't match my smaller-than-normal hands. Yojimbo 2, Delica, Endura, all great designs that just hate my hands.

The Military and Kapara are both large knives that I find perfectly comfortable because they don't have any handsize-specific features. I hope the Endela is the same.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I only want one thing - a handle that fits my hand.

I like the features on the D4 and E4, but neither feature a handle that I find comfortable.
p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:10 pm
Same.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:18 pm

I like the features on the D4 and E4, but neither feature a handle that I find comfortable.
kvdo wrote: Please no finger grooves. Many knives that I think I would've liked have turned out to give me the finger because they sport finger grooves that don't match my smaller-than-normal hands. Yojimbo 2, Delica, Endura, all great designs that just hate my hands.

The Military and Kapara are both large knives that I find perfectly comfortable because they don't have any handsize-specific features. I hope the Endela is the same.
On the one hand I also find the handles of both Kapara and Military perfectly comfortable, on the other hand the finger grooves on Endura (and Delica) don't bother me at all. But I am with you: Undoubtedly a handle does absolutely not need finger grooves to be comfortable and will obviously fit more hands without. So I do not fully understand why finger grooves are done. For me personally the ones on the Endura happen to fit perfectly, but generally I think they more or less just LOOK more comfortable and sophisticated, but for many hands aren't in reality.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I hope the Endela will be more or less sized like the Stretch, maybe a little shorter in blade length, but similar in actual edge length, for it does not feature a 50:50 choil (hopefully).
Anyway, I think if it will have the looks of Endura/Delica, but will be right between them in size it should sell very well. I figure especially many people new to Spyderco now facing the Decision between Delica and Endura, one a bit short in the blade, the other quite large, would go for a middle ground Endela.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Third post in a row... shows how much the idea of an Endela triggers me... ;)

Wanted to talk about the other FRN - models in Spydercos own lineup it would have to compete with:

There is the Stretch. Probably quite similar sized as an upcoming Endela (but different handle ergos and blade shape, plus featuring a choil)
And than there maybe will be a Caly 3.5 LW (it´s discussed in another recent thread) - not much difference to an Endela despite featuring a choil and probably a wire clip. I think they would give the Caly 3.5 a "better" steel and place it in a higher price category than an Endela.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
archangel

Post by archangel »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:08 am
Vivi wrote:
LOL :D :D
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
vivi

Post by vivi »

haha
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

A Delica 3.5-3.75 inch with the cutting edge all the way to the handle. Thin blade stock aswell.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I look forward to seeing it. The Endura unfortunately is an ergonomic mess for me. I think it fits my hand worse than any other spyderco. Hopefully the Endela fits me well. :)

What I would rather have seen is an updated version if the "R" Model. An R2 would be a dream come true for me and in my eyes updating the R makes more sense than creating a new model.

I would also be quite happy to see a Stretch with a straight spine. That also seems like it would be easier than creating a new model.

There are already two great 3.5 inch folders with backlocks that have come out of Seki. I guess the goal is to make one without a choil?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm hoping for a more forgiving handle shape like the Police4 (smoother profile without pointy bumps). I came to terms with the Endura last year but it's not ideal for me.

I was sorry to hear a choil isn't happening, but am hoping for more cutting edge and less exposed tang.

Definitely hoping for the Delica blade stock thickness.

Wire clip would be great IMO, but doubtful.

Straight to linerless?

K390 FTW!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:20 am

I would also be quite happy to see a Stretch with a straight spine. That also seems like it would be easier than creating a new model.
Not sure if you saw this... Sal mentioned a Stretch with an Endura blade shape could be in the future.

viewtopic.php?t=82528#p1296217
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I did! Very exciting!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:06 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:20 am

Not sure if you saw this... Sal mentioned a Stretch with an Endura blade shape could be in the future.

viewtopic.php?t=82528#p1296217
I was thinking of that particular post too.. I remember, that just the line of the spine would be Endura-shaped (so one straight line from the top of the "hump" to the tip, with just a little drop right before the tip. Not the curved line of the stretch). The edge would feature more belly, like the Stretch does. Not sure though.

Do you think that "Endura-blade-shape-Stretch" will actually be the new Endela?! I don't think so (and hope not): Endura-family should not feature a choil imho when not absolutely necessary (think Dragonfly)
EDIT: I'm silly. Just read Sals post once more, he himself says the Endela and the "Endura-blade-Stretch" will be NOT the same..
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

A handle like the Stretch 2 and 50/50 finger choils VG-10 and LC200N steels.