The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Wartstein » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:01 am

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:07 am
I have a little test for perspective knives. With the lock disengaged, I hold the knife in a normal grip and very slowly and gently begin to close the knife, simulating accidental closing/ lock failure . If the ricasso hits my finger and stops the blade from closing, I consider buying the knife. If the blade hits my finger I don't.
That sure make sense if you fear lock failure / accidental closing!
I never had either of it happen and don´t even think of that it could (especially with a backlock) , so I don´t mind the edge going all the way to the handle. Actually that´s what I liked in my Centofante 3 (sold it for other reasons).
But maybe I am to careless.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

navin johnson
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:56 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby navin johnson » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:31 am

Hopes for the Endela.....Black handles, FFG option, 4 way clip, ZDP option, proper ricasso to protect hand when one hand closing or from unwanted closing... and to prevent snagging on material. I have 8 Delicas, 6 Enduras, and 4 salt/pac salts. I have wanted a Peter Brady version for years.

My radical ideas would be the fatter liner-less (or lined) handles of the new salts and a black clip.

The only thing I might want as much as an Endela is a FRCP lock-back Manix 2

Durham68
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Durham68 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:19 pm

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm
Hi Durham,

Welcome to the forum...

The concept of blade/handle ratio is more of an "eye appeal" thing than function thing.

sal
Thanks Sal. It’s pretty cool to get to chat with the guy making my favorite knives. Got my first Endura 25 years ago when I was 15. Just put the endura and Delica together for the first time in a long time and see you are correct that there is plenty of room for one in the middle. Looking forward to it.

The ratio thing is more of a personal issue with efficiency than a matter of function. That said, I am a desk jockey so having a blade long enough to get through a sandwich or leftover cake without being larger in the pocket than absolutely necessary is a bonus for me. The picture below says it all for me. And it says I have to vacuum my drawer!
8F92C0A9-729B-4C2E-ACA8-C6450F60D865.jpeg

User avatar
DOUBLE D
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby DOUBLE D » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:36 pm

Durham68 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:19 pm
sal wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm
Hi Durham,

Welcome to the forum...

The concept of blade/handle ratio is more of an "eye appeal" thing than function thing.

sal
Thanks Sal. It’s pretty cool to get to chat with the guy making my favorite knives. Got my first Endura 25 years ago when I was 15. Just put the endura and Delica together for the first time in a long time and see you are correct that there is plenty of room for one in the middle. Looking forward to it.

The ratio thing is more of a personal issue with efficiency than a matter of function. That said, I am a desk jockey so having a blade long enough to get through a sandwich or leftover cake without being larger in the pocket than absolutely necessary is a bonus for me. The picture below says it all for me. And it says I have to vacuum my drawer!

8F92C0A9-729B-4C2E-ACA8-C6450F60D865.jpeg

How do you like that kapara, specifically in contrast to the Endura??.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:24 am

DOUBLE D wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:36 pm
Durham68 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:19 pm
sal wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm
Hi Durham,

Welcome to the forum...

The concept of blade/handle ratio is more of an "eye appeal" thing than function thing.

sal
Thanks Sal. It’s pretty cool to get to chat with the guy making my favorite knives. Got my first Endura 25 years ago when I was 15. Just put the endura and Delica together for the first time in a long time and see you are correct that there is plenty of room for one in the middle. Looking forward to it.

The ratio thing is more of a personal issue with efficiency than a matter of function. That said, I am a desk jockey so having a blade long enough to get through a sandwich or leftover cake without being larger in the pocket than absolutely necessary is a bonus for me. The picture below says it all for me. And it says I have to vacuum my drawer!

8F92C0A9-729B-4C2E-ACA8-C6450F60D865.jpeg

How do you like that kapara, specifically in contrast to the Endura??.
I may reply since I own resp. owned both Endura (many over the years) and Kapara:

I sold my quite new Kapara, and it was VERY hard to do so since it is a great knife! (You may wonder WHY I got rid of it then? Just because I really wanted another Stretch 1 and feared, the Stretch 1 could disappear from the market soon or be only found for ridicoulos prices in the future, while the Kapara will be hopefully for a long time in production and available. To be able to afford a Stretch I had to sell the Kapara, the one of my knifes that would earn me the most money, that´s just how things are.. :( But someday I´ll own a Kapara again for sure! :) )

What I really like in the Kapara, compared to the Endura:
- It sacrifices even LESS edge to a Ricasso, but still has a functional choil
- The closed length to edge ratio is phenomenal
- when cutting against a cutting board and kind of "pinch grip" the handle, you can make use of literally the whole edge, since there is no guard that gets in the way
- the ergos are great, without any finger grooves or the like; the carbon feels very good in hand
- in a "regular", not choked up grip your hand is still quite close to the edge

What I like more in the Endura, compared to the Kapara
- I personally prefer the backlock; for me it has no disadvantage compared to the comp. lock, works better with gloves, and especially the Kapara comp. lock is not very good accesible
- I use my knifes a lot in the outdoors, with cold and wet hands, thats where textured FRN is much better than smooth carbon
- I prefer a regular, non deep carry clip over a deep carry wire clip. I think a knife as long as the Kapara does not need a deep carry clip, only makes it stick deeper in the pocket, which I do not like
- As great the design and the looks of the Kapara are: Somehow it is a bit too "gentleman-knife-looking" for my taste. I like "blue-collar-working-knife" - looks a bit more. So I´d hope for a Kapara sprint in rough Micarta scales and a regular clip, that would be great.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:02 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:07 am
I have a little test for perspective knives. With the lock disengaged, I hold the knife in a normal grip and very slowly and gently begin to close the knife, simulating accidental closing/ lock failure . If the ricasso hits my finger and stops the blade from closing, I consider buying the knife. If the blade hits my finger I don't.
Funny you should mention that, I do the same thing just to test where I am at with a design but have never let it dictate a purchase,

Then again my use is seldom that hard either.

Durham68
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Durham68 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:45 pm

DOUBLE D wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:36 pm
Durham68 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:19 pm
sal wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm
Hi Durham,

Welcome to the forum...

The concept of blade/handle ratio is more of an "eye appeal" thing than function thing.

sal
Thanks Sal. It’s pretty cool to get to chat with the guy making my favorite knives. Got my first Endura 25 years ago when I was 15. Just put the endura and Delica together for the first time in a long time and see you are correct that there is plenty of room for one in the middle. Looking forward to it.

The ratio thing is more of a personal issue with efficiency than a matter of function. That said, I am a desk jockey so having a blade long enough to get through a sandwich or leftover cake without being larger in the pocket than absolutely necessary is a bonus for me. The picture below says it all for me. And it says I have to vacuum my drawer!

8F92C0A9-729B-4C2E-ACA8-C6450F60D865.jpeg

How do you like that kapara, specifically in contrast to the Endura??.
I never even thought to compare them but now that you asked it makes a lot of sense as they are very similar in their general dimensions. The Kapara feels, appears and is priced like I shouldn’t use it for serious cutting compared to the Endura which is practically begging to be put to work for all the same reasons. Of course the Kapara could be used just as hard but I wouldn’t want to. The Kapara goes well with my office attire. Endura is for jeans on the weekend. Kapara is a flickable one-hander for a fidgeter like me. Endura not so much. I do miss the steeper thumb ramp and jimping when carrying the Kapara. I miss the Kapara when I carry the Endura.

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:54 am

Well the answer is obvious buy a back up for your Kapra and use the tar out of the one you already have. No point in using a knife and missing the one you really want to use. There are many of us who do this.

Durham68
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Durham68 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:00 am

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:54 am
Well the answer is obvious buy a back up for your Kapra and use the tar out of the one you already have. No point in using a knife and missing the one you really want to use. There are many of us who do this.
Another knife is always the answer : )

Never considered doubles. I like them in their respective roles for now. I can see the Endela unseating the Endura when it lands.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Wartstein » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:14 am

Durham68 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:00 am
I can see the Endela unseating the Endura when it lands.
That could very likely happen in my case too... If the Endela in length will be like a Stretch 1 without a choil.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13648
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby sal » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:06 pm

I'm carrying a serrated Endela today.'' Very nice.

sal

User avatar
Tims
Member
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Tims » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:21 pm

Sal, any insight on ergos mate?

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:40 pm

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:06 pm
I'm carrying a serrated Endela today.'' Very nice.

sal
Ya know pictures would mean allot to us. Understand the direction of showing what is soon to come versus building expectations but prefer expectations, helps to encourage saving for awesome things to come.

Wanting and waiting and aquiring all part of the sale. Great steak is nice but it’s the sizzle and the smell that sells.

User avatar
Tims
Member
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Tims » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 pm

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:40 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:06 pm
I'm carrying a serrated Endela today.'' Very nice.

sal
Ya know pictures would mean allot to us. Understand the direction of showing what is soon to come versus building expectations but prefer expectations, helps to encourage saving for awesome things to come.

Wanting and waiting and aquiring all part of the sale. Great steak is nice but it’s the sizzle and the smell that sells.
Dang man, leave the poor bloke to do his thing. Don’t forget you’re a guest on his website, show some respect.

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:05 pm

No way!!! Got money to spend mans got knives to sell, symbiotic relationship! 😁

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Wartstein » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:07 pm

Maybe we'll see it in the "Reveal 2019 / Vol. 2"?!
What do you think?
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby BornIn1500 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:51 pm

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:40 pm

Ya know pictures would mean allot to us. Understand the direction of showing what is soon to come versus building expectations but prefer expectations, helps to encourage saving for awesome things to come.
But the more time there is between the reveal and the release, the more time Chinese clone companies have to create their counterfeits. I think it's good to hold off on the reveal.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Wartstein » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:16 am

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:51 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:40 pm

Ya know pictures would mean allot to us. Understand the direction of showing what is soon to come versus building expectations but prefer expectations, helps to encourage saving for awesome things to come.
But the more time there is between the reveal and the release, the more time Chinese clone companies have to create their counterfeits. I think it's good to hold off on the reveal.
Don't know too much about the counterfeit-industry, but do you really think they'll start to make clones with just photos as a template? Disturbing thought...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby BornIn1500 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:49 am

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:16 am
Don't know too much about the counterfeit-industry, but do you really think they'll start to make clones with just photos as a template? Disturbing thought...

I don't know if they just use photos or if they somehow get ahold of a prototype. But in the Subvert thread, there was a video posted of a counterfeit Subvert released essentially the same day as the Spyderco release.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbYPusBKjRE

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Postby Wartstein » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:09 am

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:16 am
Don't know too much about the counterfeit-industry, but do you really think they'll start to make clones with just photos as a template? Disturbing thought...

I don't know if they just use photos or if they somehow get ahold of a prototype. But in the Subvert thread, there was a video posted of a counterfeit Subvert released essentially the same day as the Spyderco release.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbYPusBKjRE
Thanks for the reply! Really disturbing... (though I don' speak Russian, so I can't understand the guy in the vid).
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ankerson, Bill1170, blues, Google [Bot], N. Brian Huegel, nerdlock, NorthShoreBoiBoi, OuchPaperCut, Rp5, ThrottleCable, TkoK83Spy and 43 guests