Do you keep your Spyderco boxes?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes, I keep all of my boxes.
91%
No, I throw away my boxes.
3%
Depends on the knife.. Sprints or Exclusives warrant hanging on to the box.
2%
I hadn't really given it much thought.
2%
Rick, you're a crazy person.
1%

Total votes: 127

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

So, I’ve always carried knives and have acquired them in many different styles from many different makers over the years.. but, throughout 2018, I started buying and carrying Spyderco knives, almost exclusively, and I discovered that Spyderco is “my brand.” I can appreciate knives from other makers, but most of them just don’t do it for me like Spyderco and over the past year, I’ve accumulated quite a few Spydercos. A few months into 2018, I realized that I had saved all of their boxes and, on a whim, I ended up storing them all in an old filing cabinet drawer. I normally store the knives themselves in a Spyderpac, but each time I get a new Spyderco, its box goes into the filing cabinet. I enjoy reading the literature inside when I receive a new knife, but otherwise, keeping the box wasn’t something I’d given much thought to.. it just sort of happened over time.

Fast forward to this past week.. I received my Stretch 2 V-Toku2 (which I absolutely love!) on Monday. I took it out of its box, read all of the pamphlets inside, set the box aside, and had been carrying it all week.. until my DLT trading Manix arrived yesterday (ordered Tuesday/arrived Thursday..lightning fast shipping, awesome job DLT!). I opened up my Manix box last night, read all of the pamphlets inside and remembered that I should put both boxes in their place in the filing cabinet.. but I couldn’t find my Stretch box.. anywhere! I looked all over for it, but with no luck. Then I remembered that I must have put it back into the USPS box that it came in, which, of course, I had thrown away already. So out to the dumpster behind my apartment I went, hoping that it hadn’t been emptied yet. But, it had been :(

As all of this is happening, I’m having this realization that I’m actually very upset that I no longer have the Stretch box. Upset enough to be willing to climb into a dumpster to retrieve it. I mean, it’s a box.. I obviously still have the knife, who cares about the box, right? Then I realized that I’ve only ever kept my Spyderco boxes. I certainly don’t have any Ontario RAT, CKRT, Kershaw, or Gerber boxes kicking around in a filing cabinet.. Why are the Spyderco boxes somehow more special? I suppose that I’ll find the will to live again after the loss of my Stretch box, but I’m still surprised by the unease it has caused in my life haha..

So, I guess now I’m wondering if this is a “normal” thing, the collecting of Spyderco boxes? Do you find that you keep them all? Are you more likely to keep the box from a Sprint Run/Exlusive than a regular production knife? I suppose the only valid reason I can think of to keep the boxes would be for resale.. what other reasons might there be to hang on to them? Do you keep other knife brand boxes as well? Would you be upset if one went MIA? Or am I just a crazy person? I’m interested in your thoughts.

Thank you for entertaining my nonsense, and happy collecting!

Rick
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
The Meat man

Re: Do you keep your Spyderco boxes?

Post by The Meat man »

I always keep my boxes, if for no other reason than resale value.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

If it is a user and box comes from a user in not perfect condition, probably not.

If I buy a new or NIB/LNIB I probably would even if I use the knife (which is likely).

I rarely sell stuff.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I kept 3 boxes to store the paperwork inside.
It takes too much space to keep them all.

And the boxes are not so special or limited to keep them.

If the boxes of the sprints were wood and specially designed - that's another story.
But so ....
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I keep them all. Not sure why.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

First: Congrats on the Stretch! No wonder yiu love it, it's perfect imho.

Concerning boxes: I always keep them, but like The Meat Man for reasons of resale. Unfortunately, I have no choice other than selling knives from time to time so I can afford other models I am interested in
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All but my very first.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Voted for i keep all my boxes, i don't know why i keep them, i store my knifes in pouches and i'm never going to sell any of my knifes.
Vold like to vote for "rick you're a crazy person" like most of us here, but could only vote once :P
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have the boxes for all mine except for a few I purchased used that didn't come with them. I keep them primarily for possible resale but I also store some knives I don't use much in their boxes. I find they're much easier to store in my gun safe when I can stack the boxes on a shelf.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I keep the boxes for most things, not just knives. Drives my GF crazy.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have about half of my boxes. They have no value to me for the most part.

The knives that won't fit in the Spyderpacs are out of the rotation and stored in boxes in the safe. The safe stays more organized that way. That is the only reason I keep some of the boxes.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I hang on to them in case I want to sell the knife later. Haven't sold any yet though.
Conan

Post by Conan »

All of them.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Yep keep them all they fit better in the safety deposit box that way and if I want to sell some to get new models I think buyers appreciatee boxes.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Yes, I keep all my boxes.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'm waaay too much the hoarder to throw something like that away lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:25 am
I always keep my boxes, if for no other reason than resale value.
Even though I've never sold a knife I bought new, this is pretty much why I keep them all as well.
-Nick :bug-red
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I've got boxes and boxes full of empty boxes.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Ok, wow, so it seems that I am in the distinct majority in keeping my boxes! And no votes yet for crazy person.. thanks to everybody for reassuring me! Still kicking myself for accidentally throwing away my Stretch box, but it's nice to be able to at least come here and vent about it to people who understand ;) I don't tell most people in my life about how many knives I actually own, let alone the emotional conundrums I suffer over losing their boxes..

Thanks guys!
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:48 am
Voted for i keep all my boxes, i don't know why i keep them, i store my knifes in pouches and i'm never going to sell any of my knifes.
Vold like to vote for "rick you're a crazy person" like most of us here, but could only vote once :P
Haha, I wouldn't hold it against you! ;)
Rick H.