Anyone else here still love the Starmate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: Anyone else here still love the Starmate?

Post by p_atrick »

I think there's lots to like about the way it looks. I don't much care for the blade stock though.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 am
Not sure what I'd do with the upper sharp edge
If, by “upper sharp edge”, you mean a cutting edge, as distinct from a swedge, I believe you're mistaken. But I don’t own a Starmate, much to my regret, so I can’t say for sure.

When I was researching this knife, it was extolled as a self-defense knife. A swedge does lower the profile of a blade meant to stab, quite apart from the actual cutting edge’s ability to slash.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:03 pm
500Nitro wrote:
If, by “upper sharp edge”, you mean a cutting edge, as distinct from a swedge, I believe you're mistaken. But I don’t own a Starmate, much to my regret, so I can’t say for sure.

When I was researching this knife, it was extolled as a self-defense knife. A swedge does lower the profile of a blade meant to stab, an advantage quite apart from the actual cutting edge’s ability to slash.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:03 pm
500Nitro wrote:

When I was researching this knife, it was extolled as a self-defense knife. A swedge does lower the profile of a blade meant to stab, quite apart from the actual cutting edge’s ability to slash.
Agree.

I've stuck enough bayonets and other knives in dummies and animals to have seen the difference
in blade shape and penetration.

Quiet a few here in Aus used to use Older bayonets for pig sticking and they were / are very effective.
(plus long enough to penetrate).

We can't carry SD knives here in Aus and I would probably be as effective with whatever I had on me
anyway (probably a folder).
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.