A Spyderco SAK?? Why not??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

A Spyderco SAK?? Why not??

Post by JD Spydo »

There is a most interesting thread running at this time where one of the Brethren suggested a double-bladed folder with one blade being a "saw". Actually I would like to go further than that. I got to thinking about that concept today and I was thinking about how really handy my Victorinox Swiss Tool X multi-tool is. It's been one of my old standby tools for quite some time now and I really love all the tools that are on it.

My idea is why can't Spyderco come up with their own version of a Swiss Army Knife ( SAK) or something along those lines. They could put something like 6 to 8 different tools on it and even have a belt sheath for it as well. You could put a saw or any other variety of useful tools on it as well as a set of PE & SE knife blades.

The BUCK knife company did their own version of a Swiss Army Knife and was fairly successful with it. It could even be a supertool for the Salt Series. So what do you all think of that idea? Also what tools do you all think would be ideal if such a model would ever come to fruition?
James Y

Re: A Spyderco SAK?? Why not??

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:32 pm
There is a most interesting thread running at this time where one of the Brethren suggested a double-bladed folder with one blade being a "saw". Actually I would like to go further than that. I got to thinking about that concept today and I was thinking about how really handy my Victorinox Swiss Tool X multi-tool is. It's been one of my old standby tools for quite some time now and I really love all the tools that are on it.

My idea is why can't Spyderco come up with their own version of a Swiss Army Knife ( SAK) or something along those lines. They could put something like 6 to 8 different tools on it and even have a belt sheath for it as well. You could put a saw or any other variety of useful tools on it as well as a set of PE & SE knife blades.

The BUCK knife company did their own version of a Swiss Army Knife and was fairly successful with it. It could even be a supertool for the Salt Series. So what do you all think of that idea? Also what tools do you all think would be ideal if such a model would ever come to fruition?
JD,
Is the Buck product you're referring to the multi-tool they came out with in the 1990s? Or the Swissbuck series, also back in the '90s? The Swissbucks were actually made specially FOR Buck by Wenger in Switzerland.

I wouldn't mind seeing a small Spyderco multi, but TBH I'm not sure it could compete on the level of Victorinox or Leatherman in the multi-tool market. I believe Spyderco could do it, but the different implements with their different hardnesses might be a challenge for a comparatively small company like Spyderco.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:32 pm

JD,
Is the Buck product you're referring to the multi-tool they came out with in the 1990s? Or the Swissbuck series, also back in the '90s? The Swissbucks were actually made specially FOR Buck by Wenger in Switzerland.

I wouldn't mind seeing a small Spyderco multi, but TBH I'm not sure it could compete on the level of Victorinox or Leatherman in the multi-tool market. I believe Spyderco could do it, but the different implements with their different hardnesses might be a challenge for a comparatively small company like Spyderco.

Jim
Yeah I was aware that those SWISSBUCK knives were made by Wenger and marketed as a Buck product. And yes that's the one I was referring to. A friend of mine here locally owned a sporting goods store at the time and he told me some time back that they sold quite a few of those "SwissBucks"

And I also like the idea of Spyderco maybe doing a more conventional type multi-tool with both blades ( SE & PE) and maybe 6 other tools to go with it. The SPYDERENCH I think was way ahead of it's time which is why I think it was a slow seller. And it wouldn't have to be a carbon copy of a conventional SAK but something along the lines with Spyderco's uniqueness added to it.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I really just want some pliers that fold up tiny and are actually good pliers. Most of the junk on multitools aren’t useful enough to have around.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 am
I really just want some pliers that fold up tiny and are actually good pliers. Most of the junk on multitools aren’t useful enough to have around.
I have good luck with the plyers on the LM Rebar; quite solid, and I like the changable wire-cutters in 154cm steel they feature,
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Well, they do have the clipitool series. That might be as close as we get, and they're not half bad and have room to grow still too. I could dream of a collaboration with one of the established multitool makers though, they all seem to be trying to find a way to reinvigorate their sales anyway.
"Seven for One"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Not to say they couldn't, but there are some juggernauts in that category that could be difficult to contend with. I would buy a Spyderco SAK, but the general market is a tougher sell, especially when it costs double(potentially).
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’m sure Spyderco would do a great job with a multitool if they decided to do one. A belt sheath though? Nah, it’s gotta have a pocket clip!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 pm
And I also like the idea of Spyderco maybe doing a ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

As much as I'd like to see a SAK with a premium stainless steel and that thin blade stock. I don't think spyderco would fair well. The competition is really steep. They'd have to make it in China to keep cost down. SAKs are fairly cheap for what you get and they perform pretty well. Victorinox is hard to beat in that market.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I believe Sal has said something along the lines of "leave it to the ones already doing a good job at it". I rarely use my SAK's anymore now that I carry a multitool.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 am
I have good luck with the plyers on the LM Rebar; quite solid, and I like the changable wire-cutters in 154cm steel they feature,
I believe those pliers are great, but I want something much smaller. I have a Gerber Dime which is actually a very clever compact multitool, but the wirecutter part of the pliers is super soft (I'm guessing the plier jaws are as well) which makes it less useful.

Invariably companies feel the need to shove things into multitools we (as knife people) don't actually care about. I would love to bring my Dime on short plane trips where I don't check bags but it's got a tiny little knife blade that makes it contraband. I could grind it off, but I think multitools face too much pressure to have "TWENTY-ONE TOOLS IN ONE" on the box.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I would love a SpydercoAK, but I would think it’s pretty unlikely. There is a great YouTube video showing the manufacture of SAK’s, demonstrating the investment that would be needed.

Even if you could compete on cost, the market presence/awareness of Victorinox must be pretty much unassailable. Boker+ and Swiza are in there somewhere, but rarely seen in the shops, and probably only of interest because of what they’re not - Victorinox!

The Vic tools themselves are pretty good for what they are, I find. With a wife and daughter, I’ve lost count of the number of repairs I’ve carried with mine out to jewellery and sunglasses...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:46 am
I believe Sal has said something along the lines of "leave it to the ones already doing a good job at it". I rarely use my SAK's anymore now that I carry a multitool.
Yeah that's pretty much all true but I was thinking along the lines that if you can make a better mouse-trap type logic. Because truly I think Spyderco could make a Swiss Army knife with triple the quality over the ones already being available. That would immediately set them apart from the standard models already out there.

And this is coming from a guy who is somewhat of a fan of many of the tools made by ViCTORINOX. And they do without a doubt have the best SAK on the market at this time IMO>> not to mention the great quality of their Multi-tools ( Swiss Tool & Swiss Tool X).

Oh I understand your objections>> but one thing to consider about a Swiss Army type folder is that even the most brainwashed sheeple don't even object to them hardly at all. It would be a great way to enter an already big market.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Why not? Maybe because some of us would like them to stay in business a little longer. Trying to build something along those lines would require a huge investment in equipment, and making it with the premium materials people ask for would make it so expensive that it wouldn't sell in quantities that would allow them to recover their investment.

Okay, reality check complete, we now return you to your regular fantasy already in progress.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I carry a SAK of some kind daily. What I need most are stew drivers, scissors, a knife blade, and an awl. Beyond that I have a tool box. Perhaps Spyderco could team up with Victoinox. I don’t need one hand opening, either, for this.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:30 pm
I carry a SAK of some kind daily.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ric

Post by Ric »

The energy, time, resources should better be invested in their key products.

Maxamet, LC200N,... needs work too and are better then another SAK approach (they world does not really need).
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I think there is room for a new concept. I like the clipitool and probably will get one in the future. That said I would love one with an upgraded steel. Its really up to market demand but I really like that they have continued to refine the tools.

Recently I was in Switzerland and was really disappointed in the SAK offerings. It seems like innovation has stopped.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:21 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:30 pm
I carry a SAK of some kind daily.
Bloke, are you following me around? You keep posting pictures of me.

HaHahaha!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050