Help picking my 1st spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Help picking my 1st spyderco

Post by Wartstein »

Off topic, but: Just wanted to look at the first / original post of this thread by Wolverine10, and somehow it´s gone... is this so for everyone or an issue with my laptop -???
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm
Off topic, but: Just wanted to look at the first / original post of this thread by Wolverine10, and somehow it´s gone... is this so for everyone or an issue with my laptop -???
I'm not seeing the first post either. Not sure what is happening.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I'll second or third the stretch,, fantastic knife. Haven't tried the frn yet though.
Can't see the op either.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ucfgrad93 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:44 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Weired. It was his first post ever on this forum, but obviously approved and in no way offensive or inapprobriate..and as a regular user deleting posts is not possible... ?!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:58 am
The native is a great knife. I have large hands and it works well for me. Definitely feels like plastic but it's durable. Had mine since 2013 and I haven't broken it yet from dropping it or throwing it. I don't mean throwing it like a throwing knife but tossing it to people 15 feet away and it hitting the ground. Closed of course. I mean I've thrown it like a throwing knife too and it hasn't failed. Fit and finish is great on them and the lockback doesn't have any play. The S35VN steel holds up really well and I'd recommend it if you can still find one. I have the serrated model though.
Agreed. I love my Native 5 LW.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Chaparral lightweight is a great knife for normal knife tasks. I have size XL hands, but relatively thin fingers and it's perfect for me. I think it has a better handle than the very square edges of the N5.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For daily use and practicality the Chaparral is best.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

Zatx wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 pm
I'd wait a few weeks and get the best of all three... the Lightweight Para 3 for $90. ;)
I agree with this also. Love the Para 3, and looking forward to seeing it as a LW.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wartstein wrote:
Gone for me, too. On iPad. Very weird. May be explained on page 2. Nope. Maybe a forum hiccup?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:53 pm
ucfgrad93 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:44 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Weired. It was his first post ever on this forum, but obviously approved and in no way offensive or inapprobriate..and as a regular user deleting posts is not possible... ?!
Sometimes spammers will create a new account and then copy and paste the text from an old thread into a new one. Then after a couple of days they come back and edit their original post to show their spam. My guess is that happened here and Kristi deleted the original post.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

It's weird though; his account still exists.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I clicked his profile yesterday because even though he was new, and had never purchased a Spyderco before, he sounded fairly knowledgeable about their products. Using the correct terminology, like he's been around here for a while.

He posted in a thread about needing to sharpen brand new Spyderco knives. His post said something about Spyderco knives coming very sharp and not needing to do so. I thought that was a bit odd, considering he was just asking us about purchasing his first.

Yeaaaaa...I've got a lot of free time at work sometimes :rolleyes:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:40 am
I clicked his profile yesterday because even though he was new, and had never purchased a Spyderco before, he sounded fairly knowledgeable about their products. Using the correct terminology, like he's been around here for a while.

He posted in a thread about needing to sharpen brand new Spyderco knives. His post said something about Spyderco knives coming very sharp and not needing to do so. I thought that was a bit odd, considering he was just asking us about purchasing his first.

Yeaaaaa...I've got a lot of free time at work sometimes :rolleyes:
I sent him a pm. He replied that he just had wanted to edit his op and wouldn't know why it was gone afterwards. Sounded like a nice and ok- guy... but still, no user can delete posts, right?
Wolverine10

Post by Wolverine10 »

Thanks for all the responses very helpful info... going to try and find a store with at least a few Spyderco’s so I can at least feel the FRN vs G10 and hopefully handle a few models.
Wolverine10

Post by Wolverine10 »

Hey,

Quick update I don’t think I’m gonna with the FRN and as a result have bumped my max budget to 150 (since I found a forgotten about gift card). Anyhow have been looking at the sage 1 or 5 in that price range and just wonder what people’s thoughts are. Is it worth the price for sub 3 cutting edge and how is it for XL hands? Also based on some comments considering a larger knife like pm2 or Manix since they get rave reviews. How do you guys feel they carry. Thanks again for the advice.

Also as a side note I don’t know what happened to my original post. It was my first time posting and I’m really not sure what happened.