BHQ Manix in M390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: BHQ Manix in M390

Post by steelcity16 »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:16 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:37 pm
Is this the same distributor who has the S35VN Earth Brown exclusives? I wonder if they are switching to M390 now. I certainly would if I was them. M390 is much more popular than S35VN these days. I hope they keep going and do a Native, Military, and Manix XL in the DLC M390 / Earth Brown G10 combo.
Neither are exclusives. Lots of dealers have the S35VN run and I think it was GPKnives that also has the M390 Manix listed.

They are distributor exclusives. A distributor commissions them, and then the all of the dealers they serve get them to sell at retail.

Brown G10 DLC S35VN Para 3 from REC website

"This unique expression of the Spyderco Para 3 was produced exclusively for Sportsman's Supply, Inc. (one of the knife Distributors of ours) Its one-of-a-kind configuration combines low-profile black-coated blade and handle hardware with Earth Brown G-10 handle scales."

Brown G10 DLC M390 Manix from Knifejoker website

"Pre-order
Coming Soon!

–Distributor Exclusive–"
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

If you want to get technical, then yes they are exclusives, however they are actually listed as a limited run. If all, or most dealers get the knives, it's really not exclusive anymore, hence the label, "limited run".
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:31 am
If you want to get technical, then yes they are exclusives, however they are actually listed as a limited run. If all, or most dealers get the knives, it's really not exclusive anymore, hence the label, "limited run".

They are "distributor exclusives", which are limited runs by definition. Only certain dealers will have them, certainly not all or most. Though unlike sprints which are a one time only run, these can be rerun by the distributor.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:39 am
Albatross wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:31 am

They are "distributor exclusives", which are limited runs by definition. Only certain dealers will have them, certainly not all or most. Though unlike sprints which are a one time only run, these can be rerun by the distributor.
It looks like every major dealer, plus quite a few smaller ones are carrying the Para 3 S35VN. A quick look turned up more than 15 dealers(in 2 minutes of looking) who carry the knife. Then Ebay and Amazon as well. Most people who are buying knives online, go to these websites. I understand the distributor exclusive concept, but still don't see it as an exclusive, since it will be sold by all the major dealers and several smaller dealers. There's not much, if any exclusivity in that. Going by what I've seen before, "limited run" is more appropriate. Chalk it up to a disagreement over terminology. Sure THAT distributor has exclusive rights to that knife for now, but when 75% of the buyers shop with these dealers, it's essentially meaningless for those consumers to see it as "exclusive".

Why not call one of the dealers and ask about further M390 runs? Surely someone knows.
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I've been holding out on a Manix waiting for a sprint/exclusive that would fit in with my collection. On the GP knives website you can do an email notification for the M390 versions. Thats what I'm doing as of now.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I loves me some M390. And the Manix 2.

I've got the 20cv exclusive, so I probably won't be sitting at the keyboard waiting for this drop, but I'm definitely tempted and if they're around for more than a few hours I'll probably end up with one.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

These disappeared from all of the dealer websites. I wonder if they were cancelled or if Spyderco asked them all to remove the listings until they are available due to the the new reveal/hush-hush policy on new releases???
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

just checked GP knives, they were on there last week for certain, gone now.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wolfy916 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:12 am
just checked GP knives, they were on there last week for certain, gone now.

Yep, very weird. Wonder what the story is??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I just heard from a little bird, last night. That these two models (Satin, DLC) have moved from a Summer release, to the Fall. So that may explain their BHQ/GP Knives page disappearance.

Something about Sal wanting to take some extra time, to make sure that this will be the best M390 to ever Rock this Planet! :D
(I only dreamed this last part:)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I really wish this was a Manix LW in this combo. The LWs don't get enough love.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 am
I agree, but I would rather see a green Manix LW in 204P from Knifeworks, to match(as best as possible) the PM2 I have. A Red Manix LW in 20CV from DLT would be great too. Both would be cheaper than any M390 version.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Albatross wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:47 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 am
I agree, but I would rather see a green Manix LW in 204P from Knifeworks, to match(as best as possible) the PM2 I have. A Red Manix LW in 20CV from DLT would be great too. Both would be cheaper than any M390 version.

Yep, any of those would be great and must buys for me. Especially if they were translucent FRCP.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I do love the LW as well. No one will get any arguments from me, for those offerings. I just know that this one is in the pipeline, and due this year. I look forward to them.

We should have an orange LW in S90V and DLC, from Cutlery Shoppe sometime soon as well.

I wonder if, or how long it will be. Before we see the Mainx LW get screws? Like the Para 3 LW did. I am expecting that, at some point.
Am I crazy for thinking that? :rolleyes: