Loupe: Asking for advice / recommendations please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Loupe: Asking for advice / recommendations please

Post by Wartstein »

Browsing this forum really got me interested in more sophisticated sharpening-skills, and so I am thinking about purchasing a lupe for beeing able to better check the edges of my knifes.
Now what are things to consider concerning a lupe for above mentioned purpose? It really does not have to be high end, just a "basic-does-the-job"-one.

I figure a magnification of 10 - 12 will be enough? A LED light useful? It´d be better a small (like for jewellers) lupe, and not a big one (like for reading)? Some lupes feature also UV-light, I guess that´s pointless when only looking at edges, not at jewellery? A lupe in the 20 to 30 Euro (or Dollar) range will be ok?

If anyone likes to share her/his toughts and recommendations, I´d really appreciate that. Thanks!
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Re: Lupe: Asking for advice / recommendations please

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I just bought this one last week...works great!

https://www.amazon.com/SE-MJ3622L-10X-P ... JW6WY329CE
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ferider

Post by ferider »

I use this one Gernot: "Carson Optical Magnivisor™ Deluxe Head Visor Magnifier". Less than < US 40, different magnifications. Stereo, LED light and free hands are very useful. My wife picked it, and I can recommend it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ferider wrote: I use this one Gernot: "Carson Optical Magnivisor™ Deluxe Head Visor Magnifier". Less than < US 40, different magnifications. Stereo, LED light and free hands are very useful. My wife picked it, and I can recommend it.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 am
I just bought this one last week...works great!

https://www.amazon.com/SE-MJ3622L-10X-P ... JW6WY329CE
Now THAT was quick, my friends!! Thank you very much!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ferider wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 am
I use this one Gernot: "Carson Optical Magnivisor™ Deluxe Head Visor Magnifier". Less than < US 40, different magnifications. Stereo, LED light and free hands are very useful. My wife picked it, and I can recommend it.
Roland, just looked at the lupe you recommended, the description says: ..."Includes 4 Acrylic Lenses (1.5x, 2x, 2.5x, 3x)"... if that´s the actual amount of magnification, it wouldn´t be enough at all, would it?!
ferider

Post by ferider »

Completely sufficient for me to check where the knife touched the stone, the stone takes material away, check the bevel and sharpness (via reflection). And I keep it on while I sharpen ..... Then again, maybe not high enough to check the detail "grating lines" (Kratzspuren). So depends on your needs I guess.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hi Gernot, I use a Belomo 10x Triplet Loupe Magnifier. 21mm. I think they’re as good as you’ll likely buy for the price and well worth considering. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Always looking for ways to upgrade my tools and skills. So far this year I have yet to purchase a knife and have invested in a set of Wiha precision torx screwdrivers to replace my Home Depot Husky torx multi driver and have been looking to add a loupe to the mix as well. Was hoping Santa was going to bring me one - but hey he didn't. My research brought me across this article: http://thejewelryloupe.com/how-to-buy-a-jewelry-loupe/ which may be worth the read. Obviously I'm looking to use it on on more than just knife edges so I'd like to get something of reasonable quality. Those computer connected microscopes look cool too. I wonder what the the guys and gals around Spyderco use?

Hope this helps,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:54 pm
Hi Gernot, I use a Belomo 10x Triplet Loupe Magnifier. 21mm. I think they’re as good as you’ll likely buy for the price and well worth considering. :)

I'll second the Belomo suggestion, optically it's very good and the larger the lens element, the bigger your field of view. There are others that are close optically, but cheaper... I use one at work that's branded tenX that should be around $20US (Belomos go for $35 in the US these days).

Look for a 10 power triplet with a 21mm lens (or larger) and an all metal body, most of the plastic loupes or ones with LED lights are junk, or over priced.
Last edited by awa54 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
anycal

Post by anycal »

10x, 20x, 30x, your choice. I use the 30x.

https://www.amazon.com/HTS-203D0-Triple ... B00UCAO5AE

I had couple of cheaper ones, and a 40x with LED (complete crap). This one had the best optics - not sure if that is a correct term - and best focus.

I originally bought it for gardening. But it provides a nice detailed view of an edge as well.
Peter
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:16 pm
Bloke wrote:

I'll second the Belomo suggestion, optically it's very good and the larger the lens element, the bigger your field of view. There are others that are close optically, but cheaper... I use one at work that's marked tenX that should be around $20US (Belomos go for $35 in the US these days).

Look for a 10 power triplet with a 21mm lens (or larger) and an all metal body, most of the plastic loupes or ones with LED lights are junk, or over priced.
Another recommendation for the Belomo loupes. I have four of them - and have given several of them as presents to my inlaws (who are geologists). They are a good price and excellent quality. For sharpening knives, I use the 10x. The short focal length of the 15x forces you to get *way* too close to the sharp edge with your eyeball!

TedP
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:32 pm
Always looking for ways to upgrade my tools and skills. So far this year I have yet to purchase a knife and have invested in a set of Wiha precision torx screwdrivers to replace my Home Depot Husky torx multi driver and have been looking to add a loupe to the mix as well. Was hoping Santa was going to bring me one - but hey he didn't. My research brought me across this article: http://thejewelryloupe.com/how-to-buy-a-jewelry-loupe/ which may be worth the read. Obviously I'm looking to use it on on more than just knife edges so I'd like to get something of reasonable quality. Those computer connected microscopes look cool too. I wonder what the the guys and gals around Spyderco use?

Hope this helps,

CG
Thanks, it sure helps and the artivel is an interesting read: It even recommends the Belomo lupe, Bloke and Ava54 recommended to me too ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Thanks to you and all the others for your help. The Belomo loop is even recommended in the article cycleguy suggested to read. Guess I´ll go for that one!
Though... maybe I better do NOT want to see what my edges really look like... :D :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
One more question (two, actually;)): It does not give you a LED light? And do you need one anyway?
Thanks! :)
dgporter17

Post by dgporter17 »

My first loupe arrived yesterday from Amazon--it was $9. It's the Dreame 30x/60x with a LED light. Made in China and feels/looks cheap but could not be more impressed with it so far. Here are two pics I was able to get by just putting my iPhone camera up to the loupe: first is the 30x and second is the 60x with whittled hair.
Attachments
IMG_1574.jpg
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Thanks for the pic ... would like to see more of this from people who have them and use them ... really helps to make it tangible.

My internet findings on the jeweler's loupe - which is based on perspective of viewing gems and rocks (which I will use it for also) - keeps coming back to the Belomo 21mm and the B&L. This read reconfirms and has a comment comparing the two. http://earthtoadornment.com/best-jewelers-loupe/

User reviews I came across that were familiar with both were split between the two but each had mostly positive reviews from buyers.

They run low to mid $30 on amazon at the moment.

Sounds like it can be hit or miss with the less expensive offerings.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 am
Thanks for the pic ... would like to see more of this from people who have them and use them ... really helps to make it tangible.

My internet findings on the jeweler's loupe - which is based on perspective of viewing gems and rocks (which I will use it for also) - keeps coming back to the Belomo 21mm and the B&L. This read reconfirms and has a comment comparing the two. http://earthtoadornment.com/best-jewelers-loupe/

User reviews I came across that were familiar with both were split between the two but each had mostly positive reviews from buyers.

CG
OP here, thanks for your help again! Don't have time at the moment to study the linked text in detail (but will do so). Just looked at it briefly, it says one does NOT need a lupe featuring a LED light necessarely. The Belomo doesn't have one, do you miss it? Thanx!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm tellin ya, you can't go wrong with the one I posted...and it's only $6! Not made of plastic, 2 very bright leds, 10X, comes with a nice storage case. Everyone is partial to what they already own, but for $6 if it functions properly...no brainer! Considering we're talking about a tiny loupe to look at a knife edge. Not the tool itself. Save that extra $25-40 towards another knife ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
dgporter17

Post by dgporter17 »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 am

CG
Sorry--looks like the second pic didn't come through. This is the 60x loupe (12mm); I think the 30x is 22mm.

Attachments
IMG_1579.jpg
FK

Post by FK »

I have a inexpensive loop with LED,,,, 15x,, the light is too bright in most cases,, not very useful when illumination bounces back and blinds your detailed view.

Prefer to use a desk lamp to brighten the view,,, easier to turn the knife for best illumination for the apex and to examine for residual small burr.

The 10x Belomo is excellent quality with wide field of view.

Regards,
FK