Upcoming flat-ground Rescue 3!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
embry386

Upcoming flat-ground Rescue 3!

Post by embry386 »

Is anyone else looking forward to this as much as I am, because this is going to be such a freakin' awesome knife that I have wanted for years and now it'll be HERE SOON :D :D :D :D :spyder: :D

It will be so much better for working with difficult materials in the garage than my serrated Native 5 is, that longer cutting edge with the sheepsfoot profile will be so perfect. And I'm excited to try what the handle feels like on the Rescue 3; I've tried the Mariner-shaped early Rescue and the Atlantic-Salt-shaped slightly later Rescue, but not the Rescue 3. I prefer the looks of my older Rescues with the slight pointier bit on the hump over the Spyderhole, but this new smooth one will be cool to try. And both my older ones are saber-ground, I love the heck out of them and the slightly newer one is my very favorite knife, but have wished SO MUCH that they were flat-ground, and now this comes along and is exactly what I've been wanting! And if I pair this with a wharncliffe Delica (or maybe that new wharncliffe Endura?) then that'll cover pretty much every hard-use utility-knife thing I need done around the home...

Eeee! So awesome. Thank you Sal & team for continuing to produce cool new knives.
Last edited by embry386 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Meat man

Re: Upcoming flat-ground Rescue 3!

Post by The Meat man »

Hey embry, not sure if you saw this but this is from the Crazy Deals thread:
Shaggy Dog wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:51 am
BOGO Rescue 3 at White Mountain Knives

https://whitemountainknives.com/bogo-sp ... tocknotify

Looks like they still have the deal going on case you didn't see it. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FFG :) Only available serrated. :(
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Pretty cool. Are you getting a wharnie Endura, embry?

Thanks a lot, by the way. Now I have a PE black Native in the mail. Bad influence you are.
- best wishes, Jazz.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

@ The Meat man: That is an awesome deal... but my knife fund is entirely depleted due to some health issues my cat had, which took all my savings. Maybe if it's still going on in a few weeks I'll buy some though, thank you!

@ The Deacon: Luckily for me, I like serrations on this knife, and probably would not want this knife in plain edge anyway, but I sympathize with you. :( It's no fun when there's a model you love in an edge type you don't want. Maybe they'll release it in plain edge later?

@ Jazz: Ha! Glad I've managed to corrupt you to the side of the Native 5. It's a pretty awesome little knife. I don't use it much anymore because I've discovered that I prefer longer ones, but still have a soft spot for it. :)

Currently I'm debating between the wharnie Delica and Endura. Whichever I end up going with, I want it in plain edge, and it'll be a box-cutter utility knife to live out in the garage with the flat-ground Rescue. The Endura has the length I like, but on the other hand... the Delica has thinner blade stock, and the smaller size can be more convenient, and with a wharnie shape the lenth of the blade doesn't matter as much because materials are less prone to slipping off the tip... Leaning toward the Delica. Going to check out some Delicas at the knife store next time I go, before deciding for sure.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’ll tell you, you can’t go wrong with the Delica wharncliffe at all. I don’t just say that. I use it a lot, every day at work, since they came out. No other knife can even come close to it as a work knife, in my opinion.
- best wishes, Jazz.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:05 am
Well, for a rescue blade SE makes a ton of sense.

I don’t quite get the excitement over FFG for this knife in the context of rescue blades. The hollow ground versions of old were awesome. But for cardboard duty it will help.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:53 am
The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:05 am
Well, for a rescue blade SE makes a ton of sense.

I don’t quite get the excitement over FFG for this knife in the context of rescue blades. The hollow ground versions of old were awesome. But for cardboard duty it will help.

Perhaps it's because some folks (like me) look at a sheepsfoot blade as a more general purpose tool or a blade that's easily turned into a Wharncliffe, rather than just as a "rescue knife". I'd never suggest Spyderco only offering it in PE, since this is one of the few types of knives where SE always sells better. Just find the idea of a 3.5" straight PE bladed midlock with a 50/50 choil and a handle shape I like appealing.

Do agree that for SE, saber grind seems to make more sense, but maybe we're both missing something.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

With the Stretch and Caly 3 in SE, I found the combination of VG-10, serrations, and FFG to be quite a potent one.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:34 pm
I’ll tell you, you can’t go wrong with the Delica wharncliffe at all. I don’t just say that. I use it a lot, every day at work, since they came out. No other knife can even come close to it as a work knife, in my opinion.
Hmm, but will the upcoming wharncliffe Endura be better for my purposes? Pretty much the same as the Delica, but with a larger handle and more blade, which is a bonus. But on the downside, it's got a thicker bladestock, which isn't as good for slicing cardboard... I'm definitely leaning towards the Delica, but I'm not 100% on it yet.

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 am
zhyla wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:53 am
Do agree that for SE, saber grind seems to make more sense, but maybe we're both missing something.
The reason I'm particularly excited over this knife in SE and FFG is not for cardboard so much, but for tougher, stiffer materials that you need to sort of saw through as much as slice. Blocks of rubber, small tree branches, plastic tubes. It'll be great for the blocks of rubber in particular, I used my FFG serrated Native last time I had a project involving that but it was really too short for the job and something like this knife would've made it much easier.