BD1N I still want to know

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
JacksonKnives
Member
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Edmonton/Killam Alberta
Contact:

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby JacksonKnives » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 am

archangel wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:28 am
From what I have learned from another thread, if I'm not misinterpreting, it's not so much just an alteration of BD1 but rather very different in composition, right?
You might be thinking of BDZ1, which is designed to be more like AEB-L. Still definitely a relative: http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/st ... hrn=1&gm=0
Last edited by JacksonKnives on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eli Chaps
Member
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:56 am

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby Eli Chaps » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:23 am

I've had a Yaxell Dragon Fire 8" gyuto for some time now and I freakin' love it!

I am not a super steel guy. I prefer, I don't know, simpler steels I guess. I like BD1 and VG10. Heck, I don't mind 8Cr if it is done well. I like steels that don't cost me an arm and a leg, perform their assigned tasks well, and are not difficult to sharpen and maintain.

But give me all those things and high hardness? Give me a ticket on the "Yes Train". For folding pocket knife EDC duties? If done properly, I think BD1N will be excellent.

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 am

I am very interested in this. I look at it like this: BD1N is the American and Sandvik 14C8N is the Swedish version of the same basic stainless super steel. I want to see Spyderco make knives with both of these.

User avatar
JacksonKnives
Member
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Edmonton/Killam Alberta
Contact:

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby JacksonKnives » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 am

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 am
I am very interested in this. I look at it like this: BD1N is the American and Sandvik 14C8N is the Swedish version of the same basic stainless super steel. I want to see Spyderco make knives with both of these.
http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/st ... hrn=1&gm=0
How about "BD1N takes 14C28N and cranks up the volume"?

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:35 am

JacksonKnives wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 am
I am very interested in this. I look at it like this: BD1N is the American and Sandvik 14C8N is the Swedish version of the same basic stainless super steel. I want to see Spyderco make knives with both of these.
http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/st ... hrn=1&gm=0
How about "BD1N takes 14C28N and cranks up the volume"?
I like that idea. I like that alot. Here is my question for you about this: I saw a beautifully-designed everyday carry fixed blade knife with a flat saber ground drop point blade made from the Sandvik steel there. Are you saying it is possible to make a BD1N version that is even perhaps better?

User avatar
Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby Deadboxhero » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:55 am

It's nothing like 14c28n guys.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

User avatar
JacksonKnives
Member
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Edmonton/Killam Alberta
Contact:

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby JacksonKnives » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:55 am
It's nothing like 14c28n guys.
I dunno about "nothing like."
Part of the problem with these discussions is that there's no baseline or reference in comparison. (Other than the zknives composition chart, which doesn't tell you much about what a particular knife will be like.)

I like my 14c28n knives for the same reasons I like other knives in fine-grained steel. I can sharpen it to an acute edge and it doesn't crumble or burr badly. I definitely wish my Kershaw knives in this steel were harder, and in theory that's what BD1N is going to be better at.
I have no doubt that a Phil Wilson knife in BD1N is better than the China-made $40 flippers in 14c28N. That's not a fair comparison, though.
We'll see where Spyderco and their manufacturing partners settle for heat treat. I'm hopeful that they max it out, but that might not make sense for some uses. (Cf: ZDP189, S30V)
(Edit:spelling)

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Should be a fun steel.
:spyder: Make Mine Spyderco :spyder:

I have tried many different High End brands and only Spyderco consistently produces High Quality Knives with the most Innovative Steels and Incredible Designs and often for less money than others.

I have been surprised many times by Sal's design in the dark philosophy and agree with it. How it feels in the hand and how it cuts matters more than how it looks. Lipstick on a pig, does not make it something other than a pig.

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 7072
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby Doc Dan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm

I own knives in S110V, S90V, S30V, etc. but generally do not enjoy them as much as Vg-10 grade steels and others, instead. I tend to like CTS-XHP a lot, VG-10, CPM-154, and BD1. I like their balance of characteristics better. I have high hopes for BD1N and would love to see what it will do in comparison to VG-10 and CPM-154, etc. I am certain it will out perform 14C28N for my uses, but that still remains to be seen.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
anagarika
Member
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby anagarika » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:41 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm
I own knives in S110V, S90V, S30V, etc. but generally do not enjoy them as much as Vg-10 grade steels and others, instead. I tend to like CTS-XHP a lot, VG-10, CPM-154, and BD1. I like their balance of characteristics better. I have high hopes for BD1N and would love to see what it will do in comparison to VG-10 and CPM-154, etc. I am certain it will out perform 14C28N for my uses, but that still remains to be seen.
Similarly here, VG10 and XHP. I may add M4 in my GB.
Curious about BD1N but I have to sell some if I buy new knife. Have too many already :D.
Last edited by anagarika on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: BD1N I still want to know

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 am

anagarika wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:41 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm
I own knives in S110V, S90V, S30V, etc. but generally do not enjoy them as much as Vg-10 grade steels and others, instead. I tend to like CTS-XHP a lot, VG-10, CPM-154, and BD1. I like their balance of characteristics better. I have high hopes for BD1N and would love to see what it will do in comparison to VG-10 and CPM-154, etc. I am certain it will out perform 14C28N for my uses, but that still remains to be seen.
Similarly here, VG10 and XHP. I may add M4 in my GB.
Curious about BD1N but I have to sell some if I buy new knife. Have too many already:D.
As time goes on I am finding myself firmly in this way of thought as well.
:spyder: Make Mine Spyderco :spyder:

I have tried many different High End brands and only Spyderco consistently produces High Quality Knives with the most Innovative Steels and Incredible Designs and often for less money than others.

I have been surprised many times by Sal's design in the dark philosophy and agree with it. How it feels in the hand and how it cuts matters more than how it looks. Lipstick on a pig, does not make it something other than a pig.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 3rd-apex, Capt'n Boatsalot, DutchBlades, Majestic-12 [Bot], Skywalker and 22 guests