Paramilitary 2 Lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Paramilitary 2 Lightweight?

Post by JuPaul »

I'd try one most likely. If the wire clip is deep carry that might give me hesitation, though. The pm2 barely fits in a few of my dinky pockets as it is. I get that I'm not the average user, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:52 pm
I'd try one most likely. If the wire clip is deep carry that might give me hesitation, though. The pm2 barely fits in a few of my dinky pockets as it is. I get that I'm not the average user, though.
I am a rather large (almost 6.2") male and don't have pants with tiny pockets.
Still, I personally never understood why people want deep carry clips, which actually make the knife "bigger" in the pocket and consuming more pocket space plus make the knife less comfortable to draw... other than having or wanting to conceil it or on really small models (Chap size and smaller)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:47 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Still, I personally never understood why people want deep carry clips, which actually make the knife "bigger" in the pocket and consuming more pocket space plus make the knife less comfortable to draw... other than having or wanting to conceil it or on really small models (Chap size and smaller)
Apparently you and I have consistently opposite preferences lol.

I’m built kinda weird... also 6’2, but the overwhelming majority of it is in my legs and my hips are built kinda funny too. I personally find that without deep carry, knives tend to jab into my hip really uncomfortably whenever I sit down.

I also like being a little more subtle about having a knife in my pocket because where I live everyone sees knives as scary weapons, but mostly it’s the comfort thing.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Yeah, I also like a little exposed handle above the pocket to grab onto. I do get wanting to be subtle, especially if you're carrying a larger knife like a pm2, so maybe a pm2 lw could go the way of the dragonfly: inconspicuous wire clip that leaves just enough handle to get a good grip and reduce in-pocket size a bit.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The best thing about this model would be that the edges of the scales are more rounded off. It seems crazy to me that the scales of the g10 pm2's still have such squared off edges. The worst thing (to me) is that it may be one of those models with only one pivot washer.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Tanto blade pm2 LW would be amazing.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

I'd buy it. I've been intrigued by the Para 3 lightweight, but it's too small for my tastes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aaronkb wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:16 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Apparently you and I have consistently opposite preferences lol.

I’m built kinda weird... also 6’2, but the overwhelming majority of it is in my legs and my hips are built kinda funny too. I personally find that without deep carry, knives tend to jab into my hip really uncomfortably whenever I sit down.

I also like being a little more subtle about having a knife in my pocket because where I live everyone sees knives as scary weapons, but mostly it’s the comfort thing.

It seems so, and that is a good thing! :) This forum would be a lot less interesting if everyone had the same preferences, and you are obviously a guy who likes to discuss different opinions in a constructive and positive way and really have points to back yours!

So, concerning "deep carry": Right, having or wanting to be more "subtle" is a strong argument for this! And I can see what you mean with the "jabbing into the hip thing", though I personally never had such an issue. So, we seemingly not only have opposite preferences but are also differently built... :D
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The wire clips are more comfortable in hand when cutting things with the knife. A buddy told me his wire clips don’t dig into customers’ floors like the spoon clips do. He carries his work knife in his rear pocket, has to lie on his back to do plumbing under sinks in vanity cabinets. He loves his S110V Manix LW.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:20 am
The wire clips are more comfortable in hand when cutting things with the knife. A buddy told me his wire clips don’t dig into customers’ floors like the spoon clips do. He carries his work knife in his rear pocket, has to lie on his back to do plumbing under sinks in vanity cabinets. He loves his S110V Manix LW.

That´s a very unique but valid point for the wire clip I really never thought of..:)

But the "wire clip vs spoon clip" discussion is a different one than the "deep carry vs "shallow" carry" of course.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:38 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:20 am

That´s a very unique but valid point for the wire clip I really never thought of..:)

But the "wire clip vs spoon clip" discussion is a different one than the "deep carry vs "shallow" carry" of course.
True. Deep clipped carry is something I haven’t played with because when I want to be discreet I carry a folder loose in pocket where nobody can see it.
Survival_JuJu

Post by Survival_JuJu »

I’m about to order the para 3 lw but I can’t wait for a pm2 lw blacked out. Potentially for lefty’s it’s they would dare make it.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Welcome to the forum! Many of us are waiting on a PM2 LW, blacked out would by awesome.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Survival_JuJu wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:25 pm
I’m about to order the para 3 lw but I can’t wait for a pm2 lw blacked out. Potentially for lefty’s it’s they would dare make it.

Welcome!

My advice would be: Wait for the PM2 LW (it just HAS to come eventually) and meanwhile get a Sage 5 LW instead of the Para 3 LW... ;)
araneae

Post by araneae »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Yeah, I also like a little exposed handle above the pocket to grab onto. I do get wanting to be subtle, especially if you're carrying a larger knife like a pm2, so maybe a pm2 lw could go the way of the dragonfly: inconspicuous wire clip that leaves just enough handle to get a good grip and reduce in-pocket size a bit.
I also like a deeper clip, but with a little knife handle exposed to grab onto. Not a big fan of knives that are buried completely. Sog has some of the worst deep carry clips IMO. They actually have space above the handle so your pocket material can slide in above the handle. Terrible for deployment.

I generally find wire clips the most comfortable and they're least likely to damage upholstery, car doors, etc.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The Maxamet PM2 is available at DLT.
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

Sign me up for a LW PM2. Especially if it has a wirelip...and especially especially if it had a Wharnie blade! ;p A guy can dream can't he?
Setheronie

Post by Setheronie »

I've been super happy with the police 4 LW in k390, formerly always been a delica/endura guy.
I've had a pm2 and really like the size, but it's like I may as well carry a police 4 LW when comparing the weight and feel in the pocket. So I sold my pm2, but I kinda miss the compression lock.
I always enjoyed the compression lock and and size of PM2. I think a Lightweight/FRN PM2 would be just PERFECT!