questions about serrated blades...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

questions about serrated blades...

Post by lonerider1013 »

So... got my 2nd native5. This one is half serrated and also has a dark coating. Some questions..
I've never had a serrated blade before... I like it, but how do you sharpen it?
2nd, how durable is the coating?
btw this is an s35vn version...
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
The Meat man

Re: questions about serrated blades...

Post by The Meat man »

I use the Sharpmaker. It's really just as simple and easy to sharpen SE as plain edge.

Have you watched the Sharpmaker video? In it, Sal demonstrates how to sharpen serrated edges.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I'll have to watch that. This serrated thing is all new!
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Easy, and once you get them sharp, you’ll enjoy them. The coating scuffs, but doesn’t seem to wear off. Mine is quite scuffed, but still looks great. I’m considering a PE now in the same model. It’s kind of my new favourite.

Enjoy it. Here’s mine...

Last edited by Jazz on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- best wishes, Jazz.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

There are a lot of sharpening methods and products out there, but for serrated blades the Sharpmaker is the most common (only?) option.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

To sharpen serrations you need triangular rods, according to what I've read here (don't have any sharpening equipment of my own yet).

The black DLC coating on the Native is fantastic. If it ever looks like you've scratched it, then it's likely just the material that scraped against it leaving a trail of itself behind (like chalk would if you rubbed it over sandpaper). Scrub it with a toothbrush and maybe some soap or oil or other solvent, should clean it right up.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have only one knife featuring serrations (Delica CE); No problem to keep those sharp on the sharpmaker.
One thing I wonder: Will the tips of the serrations get rounded over time when dragged across the corners of the rod during the sharpening process?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:37 pm
So... got my 2nd native5. This one is half serrated and also has a dark coating. Some questions..
I've never had a serrated blade before... I like it, but how do you sharpen it?
2nd, how durable is the coating?
btw this is an s35vn version...
Lonerider
Basically you use the corners of a sharpmaker stone with a normal stroke. You DO NOT need to sharpen serrations individually.

Aside from that, the biggest difference is you sharpen the presentation side about 4-5 strokes, then do a nearly flat to the stone pass on the back side with no bevel on the SE portion.

Here is a video that goes into further detail:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ptmx1iJELhU
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 am
I have only one knife featuring serrations (Delica CE); No problem to keep those sharp on the sharpmaker.
One thing I wonder: Will the tips of the serrations get rounded over time when dragged across the corners of the rod during the sharpening process?!
Yes.

Two things to note though:

The effect isn't as pronounced as you'd expect. I have a 12 year old Tasman Salt SE that's been reprofiled twice and used as a beater for over a decade, and the rounding is not extreme.

I think this imrpoves the function of the knife. Slightly rounded tips on a SE knife reduce the snagging that can happen on certain materials like cloth, and they don't cut any worse.
:unicorn
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Yes.
The effect isn't as pronounced as you'd expect. I have a 12 year old Tasman Salt SE that's been reprofiled twice and used as a beater for over a decade, and the rounding is not extreme.

I think this imrpoves the function of the knife. Slightly rounded tips on a SE knife reduce the snagging that can happen on certain materials like cloth, and they don't cut any worse.
Agree Slightly rounded tips improves the knife for the reasons you stated.

I’d go so far as looking at some new knives, I’d actually round off some of the points quickly, either by hard use or with a stone.
Last edited by 500Nitro on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Yes.

Thanks! That´s an interesting and reassuring observation. Since I only have ONE knife featuring serrations, I can not compare new and slightly rounded serrations against each other obviously, so it´s good to know that slightly rounding them is not an issue.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)