Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DCJ

Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Post by DCJ »

Just picked up a Chaparral LW FRN, and really like the knife, particularly the fact that the clip lets the knife ride deep in a pocket. Unfortunately, the knife almost popped out of my pocket after the clip got caught on a coat hem, and at first I thought I may have bent the clip. But the end of the clip still sits tight on the round logo on the scale, and still "snaps shut" (if that makes sense), so I think it's fine. in comparing the clip to the ones on my DF2s, however, the wire is thinner and the length longer, so it's noticeably not as tight/stiff.

Do others think that the wire clip could be a little siffer/tighter on the Chaparral LW? It's possible that they made the clip less stiff to make the knife easier to pull out because it is almost a deep carry clip, but who knows.
Wartstein

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Post by Wartstein »

First: Congratulations, the Chaparral LW is an amazing knife - and me saying this means something, cause I am more of a bigger-knife-guy.

I got mine not too long ago and carried it most of the times unclipped / loose in the zippered pocket of my (winter-) mountaineering-pants, so I have really not much experience conerning the clip.
Just did a little indoor pull-out-from-IWB-comparison Chap vs Endura, can´t notice a real difference concerning one giving more resistance, they feel equally tight clipwise.
I generally don´t have much experience concerning wire clips, so I can´t be sure if the following will work, but nevertheless: On the Enduras I clip to the pockets (unzippered ones) of my hikingpants I always remove the clip (not a wireclip, of course), bend it down a bit and attach it again, so it has more tension and sits tighter; Tighter than I would like it in a regular EDC scenario when I wear Jeans, but good to prevent loosing the knifes while hiking in the outdoors.
What I´ve noticed: The more horizontal the rims of your pockets are (like on most Jeans), the less likely it is to loose the knife acccidentaly; unfortunately on many hiking pants the rims are more towards vertical - better for general fast acccess to items in the pocket, but make it more likely for the knife to get lost.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
knolan

Post by knolan »

Most all of my Spydercos have the wire clip due to low profile, and deep carry but they are more prone to jumping out of your pocket when caught on jacket hems, seat belts, etc. There are two things I have done in the past that do tighten their grip in the pocket somewhat.

The 1st (and best way IMO) is to remove the clip and simultaneously hold both ends of the clip's underturned tips (the parts that mount in the scale) in a sturdy pair of needle nose pliers while pushing (bending) the clip inward. Bend it just a little at a time, re-install and see how you like the grip in the pocket. If not tight enough...a little more to suit.

The 2nd way is a little more tedious and not as cosmetically desirable, but you can remove the clip and fit/wiggle a short piece of some (similar OD of wire clip dia.) sized heat shrink tubing (comes in colors too) around to the area that contacts the pocket fabric. heat it w/a heat gun or hair dryer till it shrinks around the clip and re-install. The rubbery texture of the tubing will give you a little better grip as well.

Hope this helps.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Mine did the same. I took the clip off, and then used a fine diamond file on my Leatherman Wave to file the wire down. I standed it an angle so that it acted as a ramp. I don't have the knife any longer or I would take a pic.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The wire clip could be stiffer. I took mine off and bent it a little. It’s a light knife so it doesn’t seem to want to jump out of the pocket on its own but the wire clip just is not as secure as a regular clip.

The shrink tubing idea is clever!
DCJ

Post by DCJ »

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like my clip is normal, and maybe time to do a little bending. I guess I hadn't locked into the fact that the DF2 and Chaparral are made in different factories. The DF2 clip is just about perfect, but then again, it's a tiny, little knife.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I find the Dfly clips too tight. Again, easy fix. Just bend tiny bits at a time.
- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I only hope Sal will step in and fix this. Mine has the same issue.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:47 pm
You´re speaking of the issue Jazz mentioned? (clip beeing too tight)?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

knolan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:27 pm
Most all of my Spydercos have the wire clip due to low profile, and deep carry but they are more prone to jumping out of your pocket when caught on jacket hems, seat belts, etc. There are two things I have done in the past that do tighten their grip in the pocket somewhat.

The 1st (and best way IMO) is to remove the clip and simultaneously hold both ends of the clip's underturned tips (the parts that mount in the scale) in a sturdy pair of needle nose pliers while pushing (bending) the clip inward. Bend it just a little at a time, re-install and see how you like the grip in the pocket. If not tight enough...a little more to suit.

The 2nd way is a little more tedious and not as cosmetically desirable, but you can remove the clip and fit/wiggle a short piece of some (similar OD of wire clip dia.) sized heat shrink tubing (comes in colors too) around to the area that contacts the pocket fabric. heat it w/a heat gun or hair dryer till it shrinks around the clip and re-install. The rubbery texture of the tubing will give you a little better grip as well.

Hope this helps.

+1 for the shrink tube idea. Great idea.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 pm
elena86 wrote:

Nope ... OP issue( LW Chapie pocket clip )
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 pm
elena86 wrote:

Nope ... OP issue( LW Chapie pocket clip )
Thanks for the reply. Just recently aquired the Chap myself, so it's good to know that maybe one has to be more cautios not to loose it due to the maybe less tight
gripping clip.