Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DCJ
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby DCJ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Just picked up a Chaparral LW FRN, and really like the knife, particularly the fact that the clip lets the knife ride deep in a pocket. Unfortunately, the knife almost popped out of my pocket after the clip got caught on a coat hem, and at first I thought I may have bent the clip. But the end of the clip still sits tight on the round logo on the scale, and still "snaps shut" (if that makes sense), so I think it's fine. in comparing the clip to the ones on my DF2s, however, the wire is thinner and the length longer, so it's noticeably not as tight/stiff.

Do others think that the wire clip could be a little siffer/tighter on the Chaparral LW? It's possible that they made the clip less stiff to make the knife easier to pull out because it is almost a deep carry clip, but who knows.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5535
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby Wartstein » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:49 pm

First: Congratulations, the Chaparral LW is an amazing knife - and me saying this means something, cause I am more of a bigger-knife-guy.

I got mine not too long ago and carried it most of the times unclipped / loose in the zippered pocket of my (winter-) mountaineering-pants, so I have really not much experience conerning the clip.
Just did a little indoor pull-out-from-IWB-comparison Chap vs Endura, can´t notice a real difference concerning one giving more resistance, they feel equally tight clipwise.
I generally don´t have much experience concerning wire clips, so I can´t be sure if the following will work, but nevertheless: On the Enduras I clip to the pockets (unzippered ones) of my hikingpants I always remove the clip (not a wireclip, of course), bend it down a bit and attach it again, so it has more tension and sits tighter; Tighter than I would like it in a regular EDC scenario when I wear Jeans, but good to prevent loosing the knifes while hiking in the outdoors.
What I´ve noticed: The more horizontal the rims of your pockets are (like on most Jeans), the less likely it is to loose the knife acccidentaly; unfortunately on many hiking pants the rims are more towards vertical - better for general fast acccess to items in the pocket, but make it more likely for the knife to get lost.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

knolan
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby knolan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Most all of my Spydercos have the wire clip due to low profile, and deep carry but they are more prone to jumping out of your pocket when caught on jacket hems, seat belts, etc. There are two things I have done in the past that do tighten their grip in the pocket somewhat.

The 1st (and best way IMO) is to remove the clip and simultaneously hold both ends of the clip's underturned tips (the parts that mount in the scale) in a sturdy pair of needle nose pliers while pushing (bending) the clip inward. Bend it just a little at a time, re-install and see how you like the grip in the pocket. If not tight enough...a little more to suit.

The 2nd way is a little more tedious and not as cosmetically desirable, but you can remove the clip and fit/wiggle a short piece of some (similar OD of wire clip dia.) sized heat shrink tubing (comes in colors too) around to the area that contacts the pocket fabric. heat it w/a heat gun or hair dryer till it shrinks around the clip and re-install. The rubbery texture of the tubing will give you a little better grip as well.

Hope this helps.

User avatar
Fred Sanford
Member
Posts: 5684
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:41 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby Fred Sanford » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Mine did the same. I took the clip off, and then used a fine diamond file on my Leatherman Wave to file the wire down. I standed it an angle so that it acted as a ramp. I don't have the knife any longer or I would take a pic.
“I'm callin' you ugly. I could stick yo face in some dough and make some gorilla cookies.” - Fred Sanford

zhyla
Member
Posts: 1628
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby zhyla » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 am

The wire clip could be stiffer. I took mine off and bent it a little. It’s a light knife so it doesn’t seem to want to jump out of the pocket on its own but the wire clip just is not as secure as a regular clip.

The shrink tubing idea is clever!

DCJ
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby DCJ » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like my clip is normal, and maybe time to do a little bending. I guess I hadn't locked into the fact that the DF2 and Chaparral are made in different factories. The DF2 clip is just about perfect, but then again, it's a tiny, little knife.

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby Jazz » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:30 pm

I find the Dfly clips too tight. Again, easy fix. Just bend tiny bits at a time.
- best wishes, Jazz.

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2714
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby elena86 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:47 pm

I only hope Sal will step in and fix this. Mine has the same issue.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5535
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 pm

elena86 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:47 pm
I only hope Sal will step in and fix this. Mine has the same issue.
You´re speaking of the issue Jazz mentioned? (clip beeing too tight)?
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
aquaman67
Member
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby aquaman67 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 pm

knolan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:27 pm
Most all of my Spydercos have the wire clip due to low profile, and deep carry but they are more prone to jumping out of your pocket when caught on jacket hems, seat belts, etc. There are two things I have done in the past that do tighten their grip in the pocket somewhat.

The 1st (and best way IMO) is to remove the clip and simultaneously hold both ends of the clip's underturned tips (the parts that mount in the scale) in a sturdy pair of needle nose pliers while pushing (bending) the clip inward. Bend it just a little at a time, re-install and see how you like the grip in the pocket. If not tight enough...a little more to suit.

The 2nd way is a little more tedious and not as cosmetically desirable, but you can remove the clip and fit/wiggle a short piece of some (similar OD of wire clip dia.) sized heat shrink tubing (comes in colors too) around to the area that contacts the pocket fabric. heat it w/a heat gun or hair dryer till it shrinks around the clip and re-install. The rubbery texture of the tubing will give you a little better grip as well.

Hope this helps.

+1 for the shrink tube idea. Great idea.

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2714
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby elena86 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 pm
elena86 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:47 pm
I only hope Sal will step in and fix this. Mine has the same issue.
You´re speaking of the issue Jazz mentioned? (clip beeing too tight)?

Nope ... OP issue( LW Chapie pocket clip )
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5535
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Chaparral LW FRN Wire Clip Question

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:45 am

elena86 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 pm
elena86 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:47 pm
I only hope Sal will step in and fix this. Mine has the same issue.
You´re speaking of the issue Jazz mentioned? (clip beeing too tight)?

Nope ... OP issue( LW Chapie pocket clip )
Thanks for the reply. Just recently aquired the Chap myself, so it's good to know that maybe one has to be more cautios not to loose it due to the maybe less tight
gripping clip.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: araneae, Bing [Bot], curlyhairedboy, Doc Dan, eRoc, Granoo Fink, N. Brian Huegel, Superfool, TkoK83Spy, whitefeather, WRB and 40 guests