Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SleeplessInSoCal
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby SleeplessInSoCal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:54 am

I never thought about a gift for a certain friend until you all alerted me to the new LC200N Native 5 Salt. So I read with great interest about that steel, and H1.

But I’m in love with the feel of my 2 PM2 knives. The ergos, the deployment, everything. Can’t stop playing with them.

If I wanted a friend who spends half of his nights on a sailboat to experience the same feel, what steel has ever been offered in the PM2 line which would give the best corrosion protection of all of them?

Thanks in advance,

John

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3159
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby Sumdumguy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:04 am

The Caribbean.

User avatar
attila
Member
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby attila » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 am

I took my S110V Manix LW swimming in the Atlantic with no blade corrosion whatsoever over several days, S110V likely has the best corrosion resistance of what is available in the PM2.

The hardware might be an issue, though. Idk what materials they use for the rest of the PM2.

I do still tend to agree with Sumdumguy that the Caribbean is a far better choice for ocean work.
Own: Delica, yOld S30V Native, pointy Breeden Rescue, Delica, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW,Pakka Delica, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, M4 Manix, HAP40 Caly 3, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, Pakka DF2, Cruwear PM2, SE Pac Salt, HAP40 Jazzlica, S110V Native, P.I.T.S., DLC Manix, REX 45 PM2, Para 3, XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, 20CV PM2, Rhino, SB Calypso Jr., B70P, PMA11, K03, ZDP Stretch 2, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, 204p PM2, Swick, SG Delica, BL Lil'Native, AEB-L Urban, HAP40 Stretch, KC Cruwear Manix,Cruwear Military, M390 PM2, Cruwear Delica, 4V Lil'Native, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Para 3 LW, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, RexWood Shaman, DLC Cruwear Shaman, Rex 45 Manix, Native 5, Native LW, 204p Para 3, S45VN PM2, S90V Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP Cruwear Manix

Waiting for: SPY27, K490, Swick 5, and something purple
.

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby BornIn1500 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:06 am

Yup. Sounds like the Caribbean was designed exactly for people like your friend. Can't think of a more perfect knife.

SleeplessInSoCal
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby SleeplessInSoCal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 am

“I took my S110V Manix LW swimming in the Atlantic with no blade corrosion whatsoever over several days, S110V likely has the best corrosion resistance of what is available in the PM2.

The hardware might be an issue, though. Idk what materials they use for the rest of the PM2.“

Very much appreciate the testimony, Attila! Maybe I’ll just buy that one.

Thanks for recommending the Caribbean, fellas! I saw it when I was looking up LC200N Spyderco knives. To be perfectly honest, the aesthetics are a hurdle for me, with those crazy scales. Does the Caribbean have the same operation feel as a PM2? Same satisfying flick?

User avatar
ferider
Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:41 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby ferider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 am

I suggest the Carribean too. A different knife, but have no fear: you can play with it just like with the PM2. A little larger and different blade shape (which I prefer), and - beside the different steel - smoother than the PM2 (an additional internal pin guiding the blade), and all around more robust (pivot and stop pin size, two standoffs that can be fully tightened, etc.). One gets used quickly to the "bumble-bee" look. And I have about a dozen PM2 ...

WRT corrosion resistance on the PM2, you can get s110v, m390, 204p, 20cv, or even s35vn, they are all very similar. s110v is more brittle than the others. And correct on the above corrosion comments: I've cleaned rather old s30v knives, and what corrodes first is the hardware, not the blade.
Last edited by ferider on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13768
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby sal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:34 am

Hi Sleepless,

Welcome to our forum.

You say that you don't like the "look" of the Caribbean? I thought this was for a friend? If he's spending much time around salt water, the Caribbean might serve his needs better?

sal

freebird610
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:13 am

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby freebird610 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:50 am

Yeah the hardware will be the bigger issue. I've had rust on my pm2 hardware from regular use away from water.

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby BornIn1500 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 am

SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 am
Thanks for recommending the Caribbean, fellas! I saw it when I was looking up LC200N Spyderco knives. To be perfectly honest, the aesthetics are a hurdle for me, with those crazy scales.
A bottle of Rit dye is less than $10 and should be easy enough to change the color. In fact in another thread on this forum there was an awesome pic of a Caribbean dyed with teal Rit dye. Less than $10 and less than an hour of your time, most of which is just spent waiting so you can do other things.
Attachments
29653602137_beca266ab3_k.jpg

BLUETYPEII
Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 pm
Location: Mesa Arizona USA Earth

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby BLUETYPEII » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:01 pm

You really need to check out the Caribbean Salt, it’s not quite a para military but it does have a compression lock and it’s a little bigger too, I think that’s a good thing.
:spyder: 18 Spyderco in 8 different steels, 1 Byrd and 16 “others” :spyder:

husq2100
Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:43 am
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby husq2100 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:11 pm

This one :D (note: it doesnt exist YET!! please Sal :cool: )
Attachments
XSJcAt7.jpg

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3159
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby Sumdumguy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:21 pm

The Caribbean is a super model in my eyes!
(although I have seen some good dye jobs.)

It is better than the PM2 in function aswell. I say they should bring the tooling to golden and make it a new platform. I know it's costly, but it really isn't getting a fair shake. I haven't seen it's sales numbers, but the biggest detractors I hear are; scales and made in China(even though Taiwan isn't China...).

Make it in Golden and do some sprints!

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby Pelagic » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:29 pm

The s110v pm2 does very well out on the water and is a rope cutting beast. But make sure they know how to sharpen a knife before you give them a knife in s110v.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

SleeplessInSoCal
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby SleeplessInSoCal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:29 pm
The s110v pm2 does very well out on the water and is a rope cutting beast. But make sure they know how to sharpen a knife before you give them a knife in s110v.

Makes a lot of sense Pelagic. After seeing the Rit dye jobs on the Caribbean, thinking maybe that’s the way to go. Also imagining that LC200N is not as prone to chipping, since it isn’t nearly as hard.

SleeplessInSoCal
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby SleeplessInSoCal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm

husq2100 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:11 pm
This one :D (note: it doesnt exist YET!! please Sal :cool: )
TOTALLY

SleeplessInSoCal
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby SleeplessInSoCal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:04 pm

ferider wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 am
I suggest the Carribean too. A different knife, but have no fear: you can play with it just like with the PM2. A little larger and different blade shape (which I prefer), and - beside the different steel - smoother than the PM2 (an additional internal pin guiding the blade), and all around more robust (pivot and stop pin size, two standoffs that can be fully tightened, etc.). One gets used quickly to the "bumble-bee" look. And I have about a dozen PM2 ...

WRT corrosion resistance on the PM2, you can get s110v, m390, 204p, 20cv, or even s35vn, they are all very similar. s110v is more brittle than the others. And correct on the above corrosion comments: I've cleaned rather old s30v knives, and what corrodes first is the hardware, not the blade.
Thank you. I’m certainly leaning toward the Caribbean now. Unless they release the LC200N sprint PM2 any time in the near future.

SleeplessInSoCal
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby SleeplessInSoCal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:10 pm

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:34 am
Hi Sleepless,

Welcome to our forum.

You say that you don't like the "look" of the Caribbean? I thought this was for a friend? If he's spending much time around salt water, the Caribbean might serve his needs better?

sal
Thanks, I’m so glad to be here!

I get more excited about giving gifts than probably the average guy. For me to to be excited about a gift, I have to love it, too. When I bought a Manix 2 S110V for my buddy’s birthday in October (my first Spyderco investment), the friend took too long to stop by and pick it up from me. So I ended up taking it out of its packaging and playing with it. Even wore it for a couple of hours.

I think I’m leaning toward the Caribbean, albeit with a Rit treatment.

Thanks so much for the input,

John

SleeplessInSoCal
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby SleeplessInSoCal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:48 pm

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 am
SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 am
Thanks for recommending the Caribbean, fellas! I saw it when I was looking up LC200N Spyderco knives. To be perfectly honest, the aesthetics are a hurdle for me, with those crazy scales.
A bottle of Rit dye is less than $10 and should be easy enough to change the color. In fact in another thread on this forum there was an awesome pic of a Caribbean dyed with teal Rit dye. Less than $10 and less than an hour of your time, most of which is just spent waiting so you can do other things.
That’s fantastic. Thanks for the example! I think seems like that’s probably the way to go, then.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3159
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby Sumdumguy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:55 pm

SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:48 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 am
SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 am
Thanks for recommending the Caribbean, fellas! I saw it when I was looking up LC200N Spyderco knives. To be perfectly honest, the aesthetics are a hurdle for me, with those crazy scales.
A bottle of Rit dye is less than $10 and should be easy enough to change the color. In fact in another thread on this forum there was an awesome pic of a Caribbean dyed with teal Rit dye. Less than $10 and less than an hour of your time, most of which is just spent waiting so you can do other things.
That’s fantastic. Thanks for the example! I think seems like that’s probably the way to go, then.
Probably wise to order two, otherwise your buddy might not get one ;)

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4231
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Best PM2 For Ocean Work?

Postby steelcity16 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:59 pm

After today's reveal of the Para 3 LW, I would venture to say that the best PM2 for ocean work is the inevitable LC200N PM2 LW Salt. When we will see it is anyone's guess, but it will certainly be a day that lives in infamy.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Blnd, FullFlatMind, Mushroom, sal and 50 guests