Guys who put lanyards on your knives, why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ScottyWho

Guys who put lanyards on your knives, why?

Post by ScottyWho »

I can think of a few situations when having a knife tethered might be a good idea. Like hiking or rock climbing. And having a few feet of paracord braided like one of those bracelets might be useful in case of an emergency. But I just don't see why I would want a lanyard on my EDC knife.

Would I just let it dangle outside my pocket? Or do I put it in my pocket? Either way it's weird. It would also effect the balance during use.

The tube can also be a real pain during disassembly. And on some knives it makes them bigger and hang out of your pocket more, cough para3 cough. I just don't see why so many knives have them. Is this a feature that people really want?
lonerider1013

Re: Guys who put lanyards on your knives, why?

Post by lonerider1013 »

I don't have any on my spydercos now but at one point I did on the standard delica. The idea was it made it a little easier to pull it out when wearing gloves.

I honestly think for some people it is more of a style thing. That said, I was once using my knife to cut some stuff in the woods surrounded by tall grass and thought, if I drop it now it is gone forever. I'll not find it. So I think for a situation like that or if you are in the water, it makes sense to have even a small lanyard even if it is just enough to loop your last finger through, just in case...
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 am
I don't have any on my spydercos now but at one point I did on the standard delica. The idea was it made it a little easier to pull it out when wearing gloves.

I honestly think for some people it is more of a style thing.
That said, I was once using my knife to cut some stuff in the woods surrounded by tall grass and thought, if I drop it now it is gone forever. I'll not find it. So I think for a situation like that or if you are in the water, it makes sense to have even a small lanyard even if it is just enough to loop your last finger through, just in case...
Agree, I think individual customization of one's knife. Uniqueness. People do it with everything.

I only ever put a Lanyard on my Endura when like the OP suggested, climbing/using ropes
and if we were Water based, both safety related in that once what was cut we could drop knife
knowing it was secured to us.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Easier to get out of pocket, also a bright colored lanyard can make it easier to find if you drop it outside. I agree though, I think there's a lot of knives that would be better without a lanyard hole.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Most do it for looks.......
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I never use a lanyard, even a short decorative one, because they get in my way, but I can see why there are those who do like them. As far as the lanyard hole goes, I think there might be some trademarking/branding issues at play for why Spyderco includes them on all models (though I could be forgetting examples that don't have them). Heck, even their axes and fixed blades have them!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

On very small knives, a lanyard can drastically improve ergonomics and grip control.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

I only ever use one if I find that it is functionally necessary...and when it is, I try to make it look nice.

I use one for added grip area on smaller knives such as my Ladybug...a 2 finger grip can easily become a 4 finger grip with the proper knot(s). On my Slysz Bowie...it makes it so it's easier to draw the knife out of my pocket because the Bowie's handles are pretty slick and the lock-bar relief cutout always gets caught on my pocket on the way out.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I guess most "lanyards" are in reality fobs ... ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I never use a lanyard on any Spyderco. I rarely see them pictured here. If someone uses and likes them, I don't mind.
..............Except for my favorite Spyderco(Para 3), that huge hole placed where it is, well I don't like it.
I thank MXG for a great solution.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
hmr170

Post by hmr170 »

What else would you do with all your skull or crusader beads?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I used to put them on small knives to give a little more grip, like on a Ladybug but I mainly just made them because they were fun to make. I really can't stand having a lanyard/fob dangling off my hip. I already suffered through the '90s lanyard fad once.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 am
I already suffered through the '90s lanyard fad once.
Gimp everywhere! That darn gimp. :D
araneae

Post by araneae »

Adds grip, eases deployment from pocket, and inceases visibility on knives i use outdoors. Mine don't dangle.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:09 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 am
I already suffered through the '90s lanyard fad once.
Gimp everywhere! That darn gimp. :D

If I ever see another Phat Farm lanyard again I might vomit. Or they said "Bout it Bout it" or any number of other stupid catch phrases. You had to make sure it was hanging out from your JNCO jeans so everyone knew how cool you were.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I would only use when on the water. Which is very rarely. I have used a lanyard to aid in drawing a knife with deep carry like the Lionspy. But I don't like the fob sticking out of the pocket and if it doesn't stick out then it's inconvenient. Sold the Lionspy. In the case of the Para 3, the lanyard compromises the clip location.
So in summary, lanyard holes are more trouble than their worth. If they result in the clip being mounted in a less than ideal spot, I'm strongly against them.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Fob-sized lanyards, as some have already said, give extra purchase, whether for retrieving a pocketed knife, or lengthening a short-handled knife put to forceful work, or even preventing the drop of a knife loosely gripped. Can we do without all this assistance? Of course.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 am
On very small knives, a lanyard can drastically improve ergonomics and grip control.
I've never used a landyard on full sized knives, but I do have one on my Ark. Made a decent sized knot for my pinky to grip, makes the handle feel much better than the original three finger grip I got.

On anything else I don't use lanyards. Can't recall ever accidentally dropping a knife in the woods, and even at night I have no problem locating a tool I set down.
:unicorn
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

1. Short gripped knife (Such as the Roadie or a Cliptool)- it adds a little extra grip length
2. Some knives (very deep carry models) need a little something to help you draw it from the pocket.
3. If you free-pocket a clipless folder (Think Air) then it gives you something to feel for to help you draw it right way around
4. Sometimes it just looks cool
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I use only two fobs on my Spyderco folders, one a Ladybug for better grip and the second on an old yellow Rescue because the red fob makes a nice eye-catcher :rolleyes: .
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto