Hard truths and observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: Hard truths and observations

Post by MichaelScott »

Nice! My small one is the #14 Lick Creek with antique bone covers.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I will have to try this with my Spyderco Stretch the next time I get the chance. I should be able to achieve the same control.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:54 pm
I will have to try this with my Spyderco Stretch the next time I get the chance. I should be able to achieve the same control.
That's funny.

But if you're serious, I suggest having bandage and antiseptic near by; and native pecans only, paper shells don't count.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Why would picking nuts out of a shell be difficult? Of course opening the pecan is a different story garden shears and Pilar’s does the job
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:20 am
Why would picking nuts out of a shell be difficult? Of course opening the pecan is a different story garden shears and Pilar’s does the job
Nah, not picking nuts from the shell, cutting the shell away from the nut. It's the only way you can get native pecans out whole that I know of.
Cracking the shell won't do it for natives like it will paper shells..
Doeswhateveraspidercan

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 pm
Nah, not picking nuts from the shell, cutting the shell away from the nut. It's the only way you can get native pecans out whole that I know of.
Oh now that’s interesting, just looked up paper shell and I guess that’s all I have ever seen in one form or another, they say now you can crack them with fingers.

I also read the original meaning of the word means a shell so hard you need a rock to crack it.

So where does a knife blade of any kind fit in to this?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 pm
Oh now that’s interesting, just looked up paper shell and I guess that’s all I have ever seen in one form or another, they say now you can crack them with fingers.

I also read the original meaning of the word means a shell so hard you need a rock to crack it.

So where does a knife blade of any kind fit in to this?
Not sure I understand your question.
Are you asking what does a knife blade have to do with cutting the shell away from a native pecan, to get the nut out whole?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Aren't the shells so hard a knife blade would just slide off of the pecan?

Or do you have to use a knife with the Native variety to remove a coating from the inside off of the nut? Sorry this is really blowing the thread but I guess Pecans can be a hard truth?.... small joke, yeah pretty bad.
Crux

Post by Crux »

We have pecans all over the place and there is no way you can cut the shell off with a knife. Maybe you have some kind of newfangled pecans.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

In the picture posted above, I cut away the shell of the pecan, which is a hard wood. The nut has no coating on it.

Sorry for the derail, just commenting on Michaels post about cutting the ends off ripe pecans, which I assumed was the shell. I can't think of a reason to cut the end off the nut.
There's only 1 small rural community on earth I've ever known anyone to hull pecans this way, a place my Dad was born and grew up in. I got it from him.
Crux wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:56 pm
We have pecans all over the place and there is no way you can cut the shell off with a knife. Maybe you have some kind of newfangled pecans.
Natives have the hardest and thickest shells. Those are the ones that have to be cut away to get whole nuts.
Yes, I do it all the time.