Hard truths and observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Hard truths and observations

Post by The Meat man »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:08 pm
I was actually a little bit off, i took 1600 hours a year and rounded up to 13.000, but doing a little research i found 1695 - 1725 hours to be correct(going by what is considered standard in Norway. 7.5 hour x 226-230 work days per year) , so its 13.560 - 13.800$, but you probably get paid for vacation and hollidays, i didnt take that into the equation.
It's been a while since I've been employed. What would you eastimate the yearly income amount to with 8 $ per hour?

I just went off of a 2,000 hour work year. That would be 50, 5-day work weeks, at 8 hours per day.

So that would bring it to $16,000/ year. Still not much, I agree. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I concur, that would be more correct. Counting the paid vacation and hollidays (red days)... What are your taxes like? If it's anything like we have you are left with a lot less than u actually earn..
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Knife is too expensive. Look at what is my budget

Don’t know how we are seven pages in talking about a $200 knife when Spyderco has so many knives at so many price points.

That’s what I like about the brand they have everything from $50 to $500

I Don’t for a minute think Sal puts up prices more than anything else in life.

As someone said above anything over $50 is bought as a luxury good.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:06 pm
I concur, that would be more correct. Counting the paid vacation and hollidays (red days)... What are your taxes like? If it's anything like we have you are left with a lot less than u actually earn..

Taxes here aren't too bad. It depends on how much you earn of course. At $8/hr the current rate is 12%. If you earn more than about $600,000/year the federal income tax rate is 37%, and that's the highest it goes. There are a ton of variables though that can affect how much you actually have to pay.

My apologies for the digression everyone. :o
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:55 pm
Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:08 pm
I was actually a little bit off, i took 1600 hours a year and rounded up to 13.000, but doing a little research i found 1695 - 1725 hours to be correct(going by what is considered standard in Norway. 7.5 hour x 226-230 work days per year) , so its 13.560 - 13.800$, but you probably get paid for vacation and hollidays, i didnt take that into the equation.
It's been a while since I've been employed. What would you eastimate the yearly income amount to with 8 $ per hour?

I just went off of a 2,000 hour work year. That would be 50, 5-day work weeks, at 8 hours per day.

So that would bring it to $16,000/ year. Still not much, I agree. :)
I'm lucky (unlucky), I just came off a 3600 hour work year, with a couple months off factored in. 84 hour weeks take their toll on you.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

Spyderco is not a public utility. Their excellent product is an accessory for men and women, not a necessity. We can satisfy our passion/hobby with other knives, other hobbies, deferred purchase of the Spyderco we want, or whatever else we may choose. After an interval of indignation, my psyche murmured "Adjust."
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Its pretty easy to understand.

There are cheap knife people and those that are not, there are those who support Spyderco and those that do not and a heap in between and everyone wants their say. That is how you get to seven pages. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Oops 8 Pages
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This thread is exhausting...needs to end.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ladybug,

If the model doesn't sell enough to stay in the line, it will be discontinued. If we can get the cost down maybe with FRN handles, it might survive. You are speaking of one model, but we have issues with more than model and we regularly deal with this daily. If it's not one thing, its two.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:55 pm
Hi Ladybug,

If the model doesn't sell enough to stay in the line, it will be discontinued. If we can get the cost down maybe with FRN handles, it might survive. You are speaking of one model, but we have issues with more than model and we regularly deal with this daily. If it's not one thing, its two.

sal
sal, one of the facts that has amazed me the most in the world of knives is that a design can be completely functional, beautiful to look at as far as symmetry and other aspects to it go, and reasonably inexpensive, when one considers the quality that they are getting, and yet, not enough people "catch on" and purchase it and so it ends up discontinued. I have seen this with many knives from many companies. I understand that is a reality of the market but has that often times perplexed you, too, even with all of your amazing and long-time experience? I am glad the Endura has stuck around, as well as the Pacific Salt. Those seem to be very good, useful, cosmetically-agreeable models.

As one example from your company, let's look at the original Aqua Salt, with the satin finish. As far as I am concerned, that is a perfect fixed blade for that blade length, shape, grind, handle materials, and everything else. Ofcourse, I am also ammendable to the Caspian Salt. But there are other models, like the Spyderco Navaja, which are so well-made, and so well thought out, that it is still shocking to me that they end up discontinued. But alas, friend, that is the way of the world, isn't it?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:38 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:08 pm
60 years of personal touch
“60 years of personal touch”, indeed.

And, oh, BTW, designs in the year 5 and in the year 55 don’t carry the same weight.

Got the actual thread reference?
This comment about 60 years of personal touch was posted by Sal, earlier in this very thread. I’m not sure if that is what you wanted to know.
I’m embarrassed to have missed this particular post, gem that his fuller comment is. Thanks for waking me up. :o
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

On a different note-
Who’s buying a delica for $75 odd dollars when the new para3 lightweight is $90?
Other than the lock which some have strong opinions on gotta say that’s a tough sell!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I agree the Japanese makers seem to be pricing their models out of the market. US made models with better fit and finish for marginally more are where to put your money.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Personally I don’t care about country of origin-
They are all imports to me and really most of the examples of Japanese manufacturing are quite old at this point and often are quite different price points so it’s hard to compare apples to apples.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:37 am
On a different note-
Who’s buying a delica for $75 odd dollars when the new para3 lightweight is $90?
Other than the lock which some have strong opinions on gotta say that’s a tough sell!
At the moment I buy Endura's because I like the lock and don't have the chance to handle the others
although I might take the punt and buy a para3 lightweight SERRATED (I think I saw it in the just released
document).
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:06 am
Daveho wrote:
On a different note-
At the moment I buy Endura's because I like the lock and don't have the chance to handle the others
although I might take the punt and buy a para3 lightweight SERRATED (I think I saw it in the just released
document).
I hear that-
Honestly I’d love to grab a couple things from the list ... we will see
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Daveho wrote:
On a different note-
There's enough differences to keep it interesting. Delica's a little smaller, has liners, different lock, fits my hand and pocket pretty well, thinner blade geometry. I'd have to try out the steel on the para3 before I make a judgment about it, but when it's sprint time, we're talking Japanese sprint steels vs American sprint steels. I think there will still be reasons to get both knives.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Oh for collectors change nothing and just say there is a difference and they will buy one of each and have a favourite-
But from a user standpoint that para is a BIG contender
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

Daveho wrote:
On a different note-
In addition to the lock, there's also the choil vs no choil camps.

The handle and blade of the Delica are narrower, so for true EDC use I can see many preferring the Delica.

Plus the Delica FRN comes in colors, don't know if the Para will but suppose it will sooner or later.