Dyad II or New Concept Double Blade Folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Dyad II or New Concept Double Blade Folder?

Post by JD Spydo »

silvershade255 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:44 pm
I'm looking forward to this, been kicking around tracking one down for awhile (currently carry a serrated dfly as a secondary if I'm expecting that kind of work). I'm trying to envision the double compression lock or how to make a good grip and now I'm curious how close what I'm imagining is to the actual thing.
A compressing lock would be interesting>> but to tell you the truth I've had great results with the lockback system on the original C-44 Dyad model. In my wildest fantasies I've thought about how well a ball bearing locking system would work on a double-bladed Dyad model.

Also this would be a great model to have in Micarta handle/scales again just like the original.
brj

Post by brj »

Interested in this from a technical problem-solving perspective and being yet another Spyderco that pushes the boundaries of possible, but lately I've learned there's no task (in my regular usage) that a serrated blade can't perform, so I don't foresee any immediate need for me to carry both blade types. I'll get one if the price is right, though.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:46 pm
silvershade255 wrote:
I'm looking forward to this, been kicking around tracking one down for awhile (currently carry a serrated dfly as a secondary if I'm expecting that kind of work). I'm trying to envision the double compression lock or how to make a good grip and now I'm curious how close what I'm imagining is to the actual thing.
In my wildest fantasies I've thought about how well a ball bearing locking system would work on a double-bladed Dyad model.
No. That is an awful horrible lock, seemingly designed for people with skeleton fingers...

I do love the lockback, but the flow through design of the compression lock coupled with LC200N makes for an amazing knife.

:D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:28 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:46 pm
silvershade255 wrote:
In my wildest fantasies I've thought about how well a ball bearing locking system would work on a double-bladed Dyad model.
No. That is an awful horrible lock, seemingly designed for people with skeleton fingers...

I do love the lockback, but the flow through design of the compression lock coupled with LC200N makes for an amazing knife.

:D
You might be right>> this might be a case of "If It Isn't Broke Then Let's Not Try To Fix It". Because of all the Dyad models I've ever owned ( big or small) I've never ever had a problem with any of the locking systems they already have.

I just love having two different premium edge types in one folder. Of the few different double bladed knives I've checked out over the years there is nothing out there that even begins to compare with the C-44 Dyad. So with that being said I'm very much looking forward to a Dyad II :cool:
harronek

Post by harronek »

Designed for the hand not the eye ( I'm sure I got that wrong as a quote , but the idea is the same ) was an ethos that was touted by Spyderco in days gone by .
I'm not being nasty or looking for an arguement , but the Dyad is the most unergonimic Spyderco that I've ever owned , used and held .
I love Spyderco's and I have way to many to admit ownership of incase my wife is monitering my internet usage . but lets be real here .
Try swinging on one doing some serious work , and two minuites later you will be questioning your latest purchase .
The excessive amount of blade ( of the closed blade ) that protudes from the handle due to the Spydie hole can not be overcome and that makes for the most uncomfortable ergomomics .
I'm the first to give accolades to Spyderco when one of their products hits a home run , but the previous incarnations of the Dyad are not that amazing or usable in the real world .

Sorry for being negative .

Ken
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Well, I have thoroughly used my Dyad and it works just fine. While not being the most ergonomic, it is far from being unusable.

Then again, I have man hands. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:01 am
Well, I have thoroughly used my Dyad and it works just fine. While not being the most ergonomic, it is far from being unusable.

With the way Sal designed that great iconic, Dyad model I'm wondering if it could have been drawn up in a more ergonomic design. While I'll admit that it's sure not the most ergonomic Spyder I've ever owned or used the overall design of it has not been a hindering factor at all when utilizing that great double-bladed work knife.

Once I select which blade I need for whatever job I'm using it on I hardly notice any awkward properties at all. Oh I'm sure that the Dyad II will be an improvement because all new generation Spyderco's seem to do better the second time around.

What people need to realize with the entire concept of the original C-44 Dyad is truly having two premium blades in one folder. That has always appealed to me in a big way. The C-44 Dyad has been in my JD's Top 10 for years for a reason. But a newer, more refined design will be most welcome :cool:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:56 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:01 am

With the way Sal designed that great iconic, Dyad model I'm wondering if it could have been drawn up in a more ergonomic design. While I'll admit that it's sure not the most ergonomic Spyder I've ever owned or used the overall design of it has not been a hindering factor at all when utilizing that great double-bladed work knife.

Once I select which blade I need for whatever job I'm using it on I hardly notice any awkward properties at all. Oh I'm sure that the Dyad II will be an improvement because all new generation Spyderco's seem to do better the second time around.

What people need to realize with the entire concept of the original C-44 Dyad is truly having two premium blades in one folder. That has always appealed to me in a big way. The C-44 Dyad has been in my JD's Top 10 for years for a reason. But a newer, more refined design will be most welcome :cool:
Well said.

It's the only knife I have that I don't use very often, that I refuse to sell. It has an intrinsic value, not quantifiable with any sort of currency.

I am so excited about the prospects of it being improved in the two best possible ways. Compression locks and LC200N!
I just hope with all my hopes, that it is full lined G10. I'll take a lightweight, but it won't be perfect. Part of the draw is how stout it is. It's the ultimate "survival" knife, this side of a fixed blade.

I can't wait :)

-Thomas Jefferson
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

An enhanced Dyad II looks like it will be well received. Congratulations, Mr. Glesser.

The original poster did open the door for a "new concept double blade folder". Toward that end, allow me to commend son Eric's ClipiTool Standard, Sir. It is my belief that his platform could offer many options for a two or three-bladed folder. If the split center scale lock can be split on both ends, two locking blades could be provided.

The primary blade could be PE, SE or CE. The flanking blade possibilities might be a short Wharncliffe and a small leaf shaped blade or hawkbill in PE or SE. But I could be wrong. I often am.

Best wishes for continued success, Sir.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I don't have much more to say about this, but I refuse to let it leave the first page :D

-Thomas Jefferson