Dyad II or New Concept Double Blade Folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Dyad II or New Concept Double Blade Folder?

Post by sal »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:35 am
Is it practial with a lanyard on knife with a blade in both ends?
Wouldn't the lanyard interfer with one of the blades.
Astute observation. That's the issue wherever one puts it.

sal
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

:rolleyes:
😂
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I was not trying to state the obvious, but discretely hint that not every knife benefit from a lanyardcontraption.
Put a hole in the clip so People can tie a rope trough it.
;)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
sal

Post by sal »

Another astute comment.

sal
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Or a backspacer that protrudes enough on one end for a lanyard hole.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
sal

Post by sal »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:59 pm
Or a backspacer that protrudes enough on one end for a lanyard hole.
We can do that to create the hole, but there is usually not enough space to put a lanyard through without being in the way of the blade.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm in the "don't care about lanyards" category. If it's there, great. If not, I wasn't going to use it anyways.

I am super excited about this development, LC200N would be fantastic. I'll be patiently awaiting future details.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Ditch the lanyard, I saw.
It someone needs to tie it to their bodies, they can tie it to the spydiehole of the blade they're least likely to use.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Likewise, the lack of laynard is a non issue for me.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:37 pm
It someone needs to tie it to their bodies, they can tie it to the spydiehole of the blade they're least likely to use.
I've tried that and it is just so awkward. I think it could be implemented on one end and on the opposite side of where the blade opens. I've even given thought to installing my own lanyard hole, hook or clip. But I will admit that it's not an easy model to do it with. But there's got to be a way if we just put our heads together. Like I said if I was fishing on a boat it would break my heart horribly if any of my Spyders fell overboard>> the Dyad would be worse than most.

Another problem with using the Spyder-hole on one of the blades is that you could accidentally have the blade pried open and that could be potentially dangerous. Which is why I'm addressing the problem ahead of time.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Putting a lanyard in a blade hole sounds like a serious cut waiting to happen.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
I've tried that and it is just so awkward. I think it could be implemented on one end and on the opposite side of where the blade opens. I've even given thought to installing my own lanyard hole, hook or clip. But I will admit that it's not an easy model to do it with. But there's got to be a way if we just put our heads together. Like I said if I was fishing on a boat it would break my heart horribly if any of my Spyders fell overboard>> the Dyad would be worse than most.

Another problem with using the Spyder-hole on one of the blades is that you could accidentally have the blade pried open and that could be potentially dangerous. Which is why I'm addressing the problem ahead of time.
Instead of a lanyard hole, make the knife scales buoyant.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:37 am
Interesting concept.

Not sure how it could be done.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:44 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Interesting concept.

Palm swell with a hollow core? I dont know what the buoyancy properties of G10 and other handles are. I would wager, with some finagling, sal and the crew could figure it out. Maybe foam filled?

Just spitballing.

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

<r><QUOTE author="500Nitro" post_id="1297423" time="1547210662" user_id="31443"><s>
500Nitro wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:44 am
</s>
<QUOTE author="Sumdumguy" post_id="1297417" time="1547206631" user_id="30957"><s>
Sumdumguy wrote:
</s>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Interesting concept.<br/>
<br/>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Not that I personally would have a need for it, but really quite interesting to contemplate how it could be done... what amount of encapsuled air inside a sealed handle or how much cork/ similar materials would it take to make a knife float? What would that mean concerning the size and/or stability of the handle? What general concepts could one figure out... and so on...

Fact is, it IS done but does not look very appealing, solid and practical to me.... https://www.google.de/search?client=ms- ... fhXhPS1CKM:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Not sure how you could do that without literally having bubbles for scales :confused: . It's been easy with most models>> like the M390 Military and Stainless RESCUE models I'm carrying today both have lanyard holes in the bottom portion of the handle and most models that works quite well with.

But as great as it is to have a double bladed folder with one full Spyderedged blade and one plain edged blade it is not something I'm going to give up on either. I'm thinking that maybe there might be a way to have a hook or clip fold up inside of the handle itself and to only have it deployed when you are actually using it. Because anytime I go out in a boat or anytime I hike or hunt deep into the woods I always have a lanyard for my folders especially.

Also it would be cool to have this new Dyad II in a conventional style and a Salt Series style both. It is something that can be done I'm sure of it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

Making a folding lanyard does add problems to this design. Current thought is to test a lanyard hole as an extension out of the clip.

sal
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:08 am

Fact is, it IS done but does not look very appealing, solid and practical to me.... https://www.google.de/search?client=ms- ... fhXhPS1CKM:
Interesting - but also right in that it doesn't look very appealing, solid and practical to me.

I think I'll stick with a lanyard, I worked out what length to use and what cord that it didn't get in the way
so will stick with that if I need it in future.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Good news about the Dyad.
Going with the New concept part of the post. Would there be any interest in a similar knife using the blades from the larger clipitools, standard PE and Recue SE?
A 'value' or ClipiDyad' for want of a better term, :)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If it uses the same basic construction as the Sprint Dyad, you could machine a groove in the scale and liner, or across the corner of the back spacer/spring holder and the inside of the liner to make a split ring hole or hidden lanyard hole. It might not be big enough for 550 cord, but it would give you an attachment point without interfering with blade function or ergonomics. You could even do it at both ends to accommodate all carry options.