S110V vs M4 for cardboard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tyd450

S110V vs M4 for cardboard

Post by tyd450 »

I'd like to pick up a new military that will most likely live it's life out in my garage and primarily be used for breaking down cardboard boxes. I'm trying to decide between just picking up the blurple S110V or holding out for the DLC coated M4 that should be dropping soon on BHQ.

I already have one in 204p that is my all around EDC, so this new one will really have more of a specific use assigned to it as my box shredder. I'm not too worried about the aesthetics because of this so i'm more focused on which blade steel will hold up better to slicing up cardboard and other odd jobs around the garage/yard.
tyd450

Re: S110V vs M4 for cardboard

Post by tyd450 »

another possible option is a Manix 2 Lightweight in S90V, S110V or XHP?
tyd450

Post by tyd450 »

bumping this because I don't think anyone saw it. my posts need to be approved and by the time they are approved it is already off of the first page. any help is appreciated and I would love your opinion!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, tyd450:
Welcome to our forum. I've moved you out of the "new members" group so your posts will go right through moving forward. My apologies for the temporary delay but it's a necessary step in our efforts to keep spammers off of our forum.

I'm sure our community will have a lot of great suggestions for you. I know you mentioned the Military Model, but have you considered one of our H1 models in a SpyderEdge?

We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

It depends on your climate and sharpening abilities, S110V will hold it's edge longer, but be more effort to sharpen, M4 will corrode if left alone in a damp environment for long periods, but be easier to sharpen.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

M4 all day. S110v will cut a little bit longer but who cares? DLC M4 is almost perfect for a folder with good wear resistance, still has toughness, and doesn't have to worry about corrosion.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:33 pm
M4 all day. S110v will cut a little bit longer but who cares? DLC M4 is almost perfect for a folder with good wear resistance, still has toughness, and doesn't have to worry about corrosion.
I'd like to add, also a breeze to sharpen M4 compared to S110V. Not to mention, that Military is going to look amazing!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum tyd450!

Personally I'd go with DLC CPM M4, but then, S110V would be hard to beat for your uses:

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=71555

I think either steel would serve you well.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'll add that if the knife will be living out in your garage, only seeing occasional use breaking down cardboard boxes, perhaps CPM S110V would be a better choice. It's very corrosion resistant, so there's basically zero maintenance; and if you aren't planning on using it as an EDC, you could conceivably go without sharpening it for years.

For an EDC knife though, I'd recommend the M4.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Either will do. I haven't had chipping issues with a *very* cleanly apexed edge. I have a couple reground knives in S110V that will cut cardboard all day long with a blunt edge that won't even cut your skin, but that's a different story. When you thin out a blade you can get amazing edge retention with cardboard out of a lot of steels.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

People have done this type of test, IIRC S110V came out ahead. I did my own informal test with an older Manix 2 M4 and a new Manix 2 LW S110V but in my test the M4 came out ahead. I thought it could have been because the M4 edge had been sharpened more. However my favorite Military is in M4. If a person wanted a utility knife to keep in their garage I think the Manix 2 LW would be a good choice because it is relatively low priced.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

While I do use my spydies for breaking down cardboard occasionally, when I have a lot to do I just go with a razor knife. Always in the tool box in the garage, a mere blade swap away from razor sharp when it dulls.
Nate

Post by Nate »

My garage knife is a Svörd Peasant. I mention it because the 15N20 steel has virtually zero corrosion resistance yet it's survived out there for years without more than a tiny spec of rust that I can recall. After sharpenings I'll generally wipe it down with a light coat of mineral oil, but it's not something I pay much attention to. I'm in the midwest so no salt water, etc.., to deal with but it can be extremely humid for much or the year. Still nothing.

Not really trying to sway things one way or the other, but unless you're right on the coast somewhere I wouldn't expect M4 to be a problem for what you described.

To Woodpuppy's point, it's not quite as simple as popping in a new blade, but I like the Peasant knife for the garage role b/c it's so stupid easy to sharpen. In addition to cardboard, it gets most of the nasty jobs that would likely dull any steel.
:spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:22 pm
While I do use my spydies for breaking down cardboard occasionally, when I have a lot to do I just go with a razor knife. Always in the tool box in the garage, a mere blade swap away from razor sharp when it dulls.

Best advice all day. Seriously folks.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I'd use a Rex45 Mille. Killer edge retention. Better toughness than s110v and easier to sharpen. Plus it has a much better color handle! ;)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Woodpuppy wrote:
I'm such a cheapskate I'll strop box cutters back to life on wood, lol
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
blues

Post by blues »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm
I do it on cardboard. :p
- Retired from the chase -
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

While ya'll are stropping your box cutter, I just keep cutting.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:35 pm
While ya'll are stropping your box cutter, I just keep cutting.
While I take 30 seconds to make a razor sharper than it came out of the box, you'll keep using a blunted razor?
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
I have an exacto knife blade for small precision jobs that I have been using for years with the same blade. I sharpen it on 320 grit SiC paper that I glued onto a scrap of MDF. Being a cheapskate is a good thing. I may never buy another exacto blade.

And yes, a box cutter to cut up cardboard does make sense.

As for the OP's question, either would be massive overkill. I would use something like a Tenacious for a beater garage knife. What we really need in this world though is a fixed blade knife with 8Cr13MoV and a corresponding price.