Your top 5 Sal Glesser designs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Your top 5 Sal Glesser designs?

Post by Wartstein »

polyhexamethyl wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm
EASY:
1:Military
2:Military
3:Military
4:Military
5:Military

:)
We Austrians really know what we want.... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Military
Endura/Pacific Salt
Delica
Stretch
Jumpmaster 2

I haven’t handled a Shaman yet but am curious what the 3d handle is like.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blueblur wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 am

I haven’t handled a Shaman yet but am curious what the 3d handle is like.
I bet you'll more than just like it...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

1. Byrd Cara Cara 2
2. Stretch
3. Endura
4. Byrd Hawkbill
5. Delica & Tenacious equally good

Don’t have Delica but having been ‘converted’ after holding them now and then. Didn’t feel it fits my hand but the hawkbill changed my perception. Tenacious is one of most fitting for my hand, but I’ve moved away from liner lock and stay with the Byrds’ backlock.
Chris :spyder:
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

If the caly 3 was indeed designed by Sal glesser, it would easily take all spots for me. Before I joined here 2 years ago I didn't much look into the maker, but more to what I could expect from a brand.

I think all the great ones have been named already but I have to speak up about the caly 3 sprint (which is now discontinued). After getting it as an interesting alternative to a delica, and all them other fine pieces of cutlery I was surprised how PERFECT it fitted my hand. Like Mr glesser designed it especially for me. But that could have been a honeymoon phase, I thought back then.
Have been using it as my edc that's always with me since, and I've yet to find a single flaw with it. I just gives me a happy feeling everytime I take a sec to inspect it. What a knife. It's scratched so bad the spyderco logo is even fading. But it looks all the more loved for it especially with that smooth mirror edge in contrast.
In the first month I was worried about it being discontinued because I already saw I was going to use it A lot. Ffw a few weeks and out of nowhere FedEx dropped me a surprise. Another caly 3 sprint which was already sold out on kc since day one despite a preorder. Imagine my grin at that moment.

Now, I've yet to try a stretch but you guys are making me interested..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 am
When we make a collaboration design, we always put the collaborators name or "tag/logo" on the blade. If there is no indication on the blade, then the knie was designed by sal or Eric or both sal & Eric.

sal
there should be a "Saleric" logo for joint designs. ;-)

My top five:

Native (original frn w/ saber grind)
Dragonfly w/ wire clip
Calypso Jr in all iterations, but micarta version is tops!
Lil Temp leaf blade
Delica

Edited to add: For quite awhile I have felt that Sal must have hands very similar to my own. The designs fit very well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dodgie02 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:04 am
If the caly 3 was indeed designed by Sal glesser, it would easily take all spots for me. Before I joined here 2 years ago I didn't much look into the maker, but more to what I could expect from a brand.

I think all the great ones have been named already but I have to speak up about the caly 3 sprint (which is now discontinued). After getting it as an interesting alternative to a delica, and all them other fine pieces of cutlery I was surprised how PERFECT it fitted my hand. Like Mr glesser designed it especially for me. But that could have been a honeymoon phase, I thought back then.
Have been using it as my edc that's always with me since, and I've yet to find a single flaw with it. I just gives me a happy feeling everytime I take a sec to inspect it. What a knife. It's scratched so bad the spyderco logo is even fading. But it looks all the more loved for it especially with that smooth mirror edge in contrast.
In the first month I was worried about it being discontinued because I already saw I was going to use it A lot. Ffw a few weeks and out of nowhere FedEx dropped me a surprise. Another caly 3 sprint which was already sold out on kc since day one despite a preorder. Imagine my grin at that moment.

May I ask: Your talking 'bout the HAP 40 Caly, right?

/ And: Do yourself a favor, give the Stretch a try - and that means really use it in many different cutting- applications. I just can't imagine that anyone who does so and likes Spyderco will not love the Stretch... :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 am
dodgie02 wrote:

/ And: Do yourself a favor, give the Stretch a try - and that means really use it in many different cutting- applications. I just can't imagine that anyone who does so and likes Spyderco will not love the Stretch... :)
I agree I did something last night as a test I took a thick walled Milk Bottle (after rinsing it out of course) and cut into it using the stretch and blade glided all the way to the bottom. I then did the same thing with a Pacific Salt which is awesome at cutting thick synthetics like this lock it the scallops on the serrations and it will unzip plastic pretty good.

Between the two the Stretch required far less effort I could just point the back of the handle toward the counter and the belly of the drop point sliced smooth and easy and that was for several more cuts when the material was more prone to collapse.

The Stretch 2 is a sleeper gents, just wait till you try one.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Wartstein wrote:
dodgie02 wrote:

Indeed I am! The hap40 forest green g10 caly 3!
his one, I've once set a new uniform satin finish, however 2 months later it was banged up again. Since then I keep it scratched up and once every half year I do a rough few passes to take off the worst of it and leave it as is. This thing and I have been everywhere together.

And I've been eyeing the stretch for so long and telling myself I don't really need another slicer because I already have enduras, delicas, spydiechef etc to choose from. However, at the same time as you commented I got a mail from dlt saying the stretch vtoku 2 is in stock..

Now either this is cosmic coincidence or Sal strongarmed dlt and you to get me to buy a stretch.
Never have I caved in so fast after a recommendation haha! You better pay this man Sal ;)

So there we go. From talking glory about a caly 3 to buying a stretch in the span of less then an hour. There's no point denying its an addiction at this point haha!
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
dodgie02 wrote:

I agree I did something last night as a test I took a thick walled Milk Bottle (after rinsing it out of course) and cut into it using the stretch and blade glided all the way to the bottom. I then did the same thing with a Pacific Salt which is awesome at cutting thick synthetics like this lock it the scallops on the serrations and it will unzip plastic pretty good.

Between the two the Stretch required far less effort I could just point the back of the handle toward the counter and the belly of the drop point sliced smooth and easy and that was for several more cuts when the material was more prone to collapse.

Well, and now I'm even looking forward to it. Good thing I didn't splurge too much in December!

I think I'll be using it a lot actually. I enjoy carrying my frn endura a lot, but the vg10 just doesn't cut it for my tasks. But the money is already spend so at this point I'll justify it for any reason! Really liking the vtoku delica too.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I am curious What are your tasks? I have found this knife in VG10 to be surprisingly capable. Have it in ZDP189 also as well as a recent Stetch 1 in HAP40 and Tofuku coming in. Going to take some microscope pics of the freshblades before using.

Yes it is an addiction! :)
archangel

Post by archangel »

1 PM2
2 Stretch
3 Native 5
4 Meerkat
5 Military

I hate having missed the opportunity to pick up a N5 with titanium handles at closeout prices. Hope there will be another chance some time. If I had one, it might be my number 1 Sal design (gosh I hope it IS a Sal design :eek: can't look it up on spydiewiki right now, and it does not carry his tag on the blade - but I've learned that it still might be designed by Sal). So far I have owned two N5 with FRN handles, and while I think the N5 has the very best ergonomy of them all, the FRN handles were just not right for me. So I sold them both times. N5 with titanium handles might be perfect and stay with me forever...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:19 pm
1 PM2
2 Stretch
3 Native 5
4 Meerkat
5 Military

I hate having missed the opportunity to pick up a N5 with titanium handles at closeout prices. Hope there will be another chance some time. If I had one, it might be my number 1 Sal design (gosh I hope it IS a Sal design :eek: can't look it up on spydiewiki right now, and it does not carry his tag on the blade - but I've learned that it still might be designed by Sal). So far I have owned two N5 with FRN handles, and while I think the N5 has the very best ergonomy of them all, the FRN handles were just not right for me. So I sold them both times. N5 with titanium handles might be perfect and stay with me forever...
Looking at your signature: twentyTHREE spyders already? TwentyTWO was the latest number you wanted to achieve, right? :D
archangel

Post by archangel »

It will be 24 next week, when my Dog Tag arrives. Today I received a Honeybee and a Grasshopper. :) Those 3 were added quite spontaneously...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I am now north of 30 perhaps closing in on 40 Spyderco's and have just made a list of 10 I will be selling. They are my backups. There are some new exciting designs I want and now the collection has to pay for them :)
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:53 am
I am curious What are your tasks? I have found this knife in VG10 to be surprisingly capable. Have it in ZDP189 also as well as a recent Stetch 1 in HAP40 and Tofuku coming in. Going to take some microscope pics of the freshblades before using.

I should have put that better. Vg10 is an amazing steel, sharpens easily and I've never had much ado with it. However, I'm working in this thriftstore were we also empty houses, and look for treasures in junk (and you wouldn't believe the stuff you come across! I still have this military dagger anno 1944 of the Dutch military. Engraved with the soldiers Id and year of manufacturing, and from the state of the blade it well used during that historic time!). Anyway we get lots of containers boxes etc full of various items and to make a long story short; I needed a knife that would keep performing, and resilient to damage because too often id hit metal or some other tough things. I've had to reprofile softer steels so much I ran out of blade. Things got a lot better when I got my hands on the S110V pm2 at release because the damage was always minimal but even that one is now about as big as Para 3 and the height of a delica Haha.

Now I've come to be more careful about it and mainly use a S110V manix 2 for most things. And a finer blade for the everyday things (caly 3).
As I read this I have to question my own thoughts on vg10 as well as softer steels should chip less in comparison, so my main gripe is that it will lose its edge after a week if I recall correctly and that combined accidents with lots and lots of ReSharpening takes it toll on the lifespan of a knife.
Vg10 is amazing for the things it was designed for, and I'm planning to get a df2 in it over hap40 or zdp, but it'd be a waste to put it through harder use when other steels do fare better and longer in that area.
I wish I could find my blurple pm2 for a photo. That beast even fell 3m down into a concrete pit one and after pulling it out with a magnet inspected it, only thetop of the tip and some minor chips in the belly from what I thought would be the end of that knife.

This is also why I carry 2 blades nowadays. Something that will work and won't complain about it, and something smaller for the more refined tasks. Hap40 served me well the last few years and I've had no problems with vtoku2 on the delica neither, so I'm curious to see how the stretch works out for me in the field. Even though I can't say anything bad about the caly 3, it sometimes is preferable to have just a little bit more edge to work with.
Tried to keep it short because it's Saturday evening here and I have to go. Pretty much failed in this didn't I?

So in summary, love vg10, so I don't abuse it, but a light longer slicer as edc that can also do the harder use from time to time is preferable to me. And the more I think about it the more I suspect the vtoku stretch might be one of those knives that really grow on you.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dodgie02 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:40 pm
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:53 am

I should have put that better. Vg10 is an amazing steel, sharpens easily and I've never had much ado with it. However, I'm working in this thriftstore were we also empty houses, and look for treasures in junk (and you wouldn't believe the stuff you come across! I still have this military dagger anno 1944 of the Dutch military. Engraved with the soldiers Id and year of manufacturing, and from the state of the blade it well used during that historic time!). Anyway we get lots of containers boxes etc full of various items and to make a long story short; I needed a knife that would keep performing, and resilient to damage because too often id hit metal or some other tough things. I've had to reprofile softer steels so much I ran out of blade. Things got a lot better when I got my hands on the S110V pm2 at release because the damage was always minimal but even that one is now about as big as Para 3 and the height of a delica Haha.

Now I've come to be more careful about it and mainly use a S110V manix 2 for most things. And a finer blade for the everyday things (caly 3).
As I read this I have to question my own thoughts on vg10 as well as softer steels should chip less in comparison, so my main gripe is that it will lose its edge after a week if I recall correctly and that combined accidents with lots and lots of ReSharpening takes it toll on the lifespan of a knife.
Vg10 is amazing for the things it was designed for, and I'm planning to get a df2 in it over hap40 or zdp, but it'd be a waste to put it through harder use when other steels do fare better and longer in that area.
I wish I could find my blurple pm2 for a photo. That beast even fell 3m down into a concrete pit one and after pulling it out with a magnet inspected it, only thetop of the tip and some minor chips in the belly from what I thought would be the end of that knife.

This is also why I carry 2 blades nowadays. Something that will work and won't complain about it, and something smaller for the more refined tasks. Hap40 served me well the last few years and I've had no problems with vtoku2 on the delica neither, so I'm curious to see how the stretch works out for me in the field. Even though I can't say anything bad about the caly 3, it sometimes is preferable to have just a little bit more edge to work with.
Tried to keep it short because it's Saturday evening here and I have to go. Pretty much failed in this didn't I?

So in summary, love vg10, so I don't abuse it, but a light longer slicer as edc that can also do the harder use from time to time is preferable to me. And the more I think about it the more I suspect the vtoku stretch might be one of those knives that really grow on you.
I somehow wish I had a life/ job where I got to really use knifes as frequent as you do... ;) There are times when I more or less HOPE for tasks to occur where I could put my carry of the day to work...

/ May I ask for more insight how vtoku compares to HAP40 and VG10? Reason is, if I'd require another Stretch it would either be in vtoku or HAP40. I have no experience with vtoku, but with HAP40 (Endura), and the Stretches I own at the moment are in VG10..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm
It will be 24 next week, when my Dog Tag arrives. Today I received a Honeybee and a Grasshopper. :) Those 3 were added quite spontaneously...
Cool! Glad for you
And: Be sure, I'll check your signature next week.. :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
dodgie02 wrote:

Yep, that's the Stretch as we know it... As stated by several users several times on this forum recently: If more people would actually try and use it in various real life tasks, many more would want one. It's kind of the essence of Spydercos general approach towards superior functionality.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’m liking the Caribbean Salt more every time I handle it
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:59 pm
I’m liking the Caribbean Salt more every time I handle it
It's the SpyderGOAT!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson