Lc200n Dragonfly 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sailhand

Lc200n Dragonfly 2

Post by sailhand »

Hi All
I would like to discuss the idea of an lc200n Dragonfly 2. The Dragonfly 2 is one of my favourite spyderco's. The big little knife that dissapears in your pocket. The ergonomics of this fantastic little knife suit those with larger hands looking for a small handy blade that is so light you have to check to make sure its still there. I can easily carry my dragonfly everywhere I go and because I can carry it everywhere it is my most used blade. There are better blades for a lot of the tasks I use it for however the Dragonfly is the one thats always at hand simply due to the convenience of the knife and the brilliance of its design. It is just big enough to fill a large hand with enough blade to take on most tasks. However the advantages of this lightweight "go to" little powerhouse can also be problematic in that there is a tendency to forget the blade until needed. H1 is a great steel in the spyderedge blades however the plain edge H1 blades, whilst brilliant for corrosion resistance, leave a little to be desired in edge retention. Lc200n would give us the best of everything in a small convenient ergonomic package. Sal I think this fantastic little knife deserves a great steel to go with it, is it possible to do this with a seki manufactured blade? Guys if you like the idea of an lc200n dragonfly 2 please support the idea here and maybe one day well see a sprint run of this fantastic little design.
Thanks
Wartstein

Re: Lc200n Dragonfly 2

Post by Wartstein »

I don't own, just handled a DF, but can fully second that it's a great design even for my L to XL hands. Still for a small knife I personally would slightly prefer the Chaparral LW - not much bigger when closed, but a lot more edge. About twice the weight though, admittedly (still light of course).
But like you I think, a rustproof PE DF should be made out of LC200 nowadays, if that's an option for Seki-knifes at all.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This would be fantastic! I love the Dragonfly 2 and the Salt version in PE H1 was my first Spyderco. While I don't really have any real complaints with the H1 version, a FFG LC200N version would allow for a thinner FFG blade with better edge holding. Since they are going to use LC200N in the Pacific Salt soon, I would suggest that they move to using LC200N for all PE Salt models and H1 for the SE Salt models since H1 is known for its work hardening and edge holding in the serrated form.

On a similar note, a blacked out version of the Dragonfly 2 Salt (H1, LC200N, or both!) is on my short list of major wants. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sailhand,

It has it' challenges but we're working on it.

Funny that the design is 25 years old.

sal
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:50 am
On a similar note, a blacked out version of the Dragonfly 2 Salt (H1, LC200N, or both!) is on my short list of major wants. :)
Both please. LC200N PE and H1 SE. All black!
sal wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:36 pm
Hi Sailhand,

It has it' challenges but we're working on it.

Funny that the design is 25 years old.

sal
Yes!! The design is still very good. A usefull ultra lightweight.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sal's best design so far ....I keep praying and hoping for a 3 inch Dfly :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

Hi Sal, ingenious innovative products have a tendency to age rather well. I think this is especially true of successful designs that spawn a whole new genre within their respective fields. This aspect of product evolution is much more evident in the digital age as ideas are easily and rapidly communicated around the world. I am currently in Cambodia near angkor wat and even here in one of the poorest asian nations a guy whom I asked for directions recognised my dragonfly in my waistband. He asked to see it as he had admired them on the internet and not seen one in real life. I was more than happy to oblige and if not for the fact that it was my first ever spyderco I might have given it to him.
I'm sure I speak for everyone on the forum when I express our collective gratitude to you and your staff not only for a great product but also fantastic service as evidenced by this forum and your participation in it. I hope your efforts with regard to the lc200n Dragonfly prove fruitful and we see a fantastic little knife become even better.
Cheers
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for the kind words, Sailhand.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Definitely! I used to have a Hap40 Dragonfly, but it’s been appropriated by the Mrs....
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I would be ALL over it! I carry a PE Salt Dragonfly while fishing or in my swim trunks at the beach/pool/lake.

I'd be in love with a LC200n to match my new Native salt, especially if it was made in black, yellow, and orange scale varients.

Please Sal, make this happen! lol
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Count me in. I already have a DF2 Salt PE and have the SE version in the mail on its way home. Would love to have a rust proof version in PE with better edge retention than the H-1 PE version.
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Yes, please! This idea would be awesome...especially with titanium handle scales with some sort of crazy grippy milled pattern perhaps?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hovan,

That's not likely to happen. Making a milled Ti handle in Japan would be very expensive. We'd sell 3, one for you, Eric and me. :o

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cscottsss wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:38 am
I would be ALL over it! I carry a PE Salt Dragonfly while fishing or in my swim trunks at the beach/pool/lake.

I'd be in love with a LC200n to match my new Native salt, especially if it was made in black, yellow, and orange scale varients.

Please Sal, make this happen! lol

I think we need a poll for a blacked out FFG LC200N PE Dfly 2 Salt! I'm in for a few! Orange FRN with Black Blade would be awesome as well. Maybe a future Cutlery Shoppe exclusive! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I'm in for all black Dfly :). In fact I'll take in LC200N, H1 SE, or whatever!
Ric

Post by Ric »

Dfly LC200N PE yellow is a must for me.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Yes black handled lc2000n ffg dragonfly salt. I would buy 3 right off. I already have to scale swap to put black handles with my h1 dragonfly. Save me some trouble and give me LC200n to boot. I'm a happy camper. It really is all you ever need in a knife for most tasks. I have my smuggled in my waisteband as we speak. Shhh We're not supposed to have knives here.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

freebird610 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:45 pm
Yes black handled lc2000n ffg dragonfly salt. I would buy 3 right off. I already have to scale swap to put black handles with my h1 dragonfly. Save me some trouble and give me LC200n to boot. I'm a happy camper. It really is all you ever need in a knife for most tasks. I have my smuggled in my waisteband as we speak. Shhh We're not supposed to have knives here.
I own the H1 Dragonflys but not for use yet. So an lc200n in black would be perfect. Thank you Sal for working on this and if they only come coloured then I'd buy at least 1 of each of them too.
Captain Howdy

Post by Captain Howdy »

I’ve had a dragonfly salt pe for about 6 years now and it still comes on every beach trip. I would definitely be for an upgrade in steel to Lc200n.
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

Using my lc200n mule has been a revelation. Being subjected to extreme abuse in a saltwater environment seems to have no impact whatsoever. When left in the dinghy for more than a week you can still shave with it. I have s110v s90v s30v and nc690 that I have tried to use in this same role. After three days none of them are able to shave, the edges have corroded. H1 will still be shaving sharp after 6 months sitting in saltwater, I have done it more than once. The problem is when you use h1 in plain edge the blades dull fairly easily. The spyderedge is much better at edge retention however not really suitable for my needs. Lc200n has the best of both worlds edge retention and corrosion resistance in a plain edge, perfect for the saltwater environment, like the dragonfly.