About the Kapara...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

About the Kapara...

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I know there's been a recent thread or two here about the knife in general, but I have a kinda specific question; given the attention and positive reviews the Kapara has been getting, I'm wondering if this is the sort of model that could be a candidate for Sprints or exclusives? Or is a collaboration like this generally not one that's open to variations? I hasten to add I think it seems AWESOME just the way it is, but it made me wonder, if Spyderco has a "hit" will they try to expand upon it's success? If one were made with 52100 steel it would grow hands, reach into my pocket, and pull the money out itself lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
TkoK83Spy

Re: About the Kapara...

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think I saw somewhere that knives out of Taichung rarely have Sprints. I've only been into Spyderco's for a year though, so what do I know :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

If there ever would be a sprint, I assume they would stay with a stainless steel since the model was primarily created for the kitchen and food prep.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:30 pm
If there ever would be a sprint, I assume they would stay with a stainless steel since the model was primarily created for the kitchen and food prep.
Not an expert on kitchen knifes, but isn´t there like two camps among chefs, one side swears by stainless, the other by carbon (NON rustproof) knifes?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:25 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:30 pm
Not an expert on kitchen knifes, but isn´t there like two camps among chefs, one side swears by stainless, the other by carbon (NON rustproof) knifes?
Yes, different people like different things. I just made my dinner with an Opinel paring knife made of XC90 carbon steel. It is more upkeep but not by much and it is very tough. I look at kitchen knives the same way that I look at folding knives in terms of what steel I want them in. If it is a more general, all purpose knife like a chef knife, then I like vg10. It is tough enough, stainless, and holds an edge. For something like a chopper or chinese cleaver or a boning knife, I'd prefer carbon for toughness. Pairing knives, I'll take whatever.

Personally, my dream kitchen knives would be a four or five puece set that is a mix LC200n and Hap40 blades.

Btw, Kapara in cru wear please.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!