New reveal policy: is it the end of an era?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: New reveal policy: is it the end of an era?

Post by sal »

Thanx JR.

We'll know by the end of the year whether or not it's working OK. If not, we improve it.

Current plan for the A'Dam meet is no change in the way Eric is running it.

sal
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:54 am
The new Reveal plan seems wise to me. It removes one more stress point for Spyderco, allows for better control in setting realistic customer expectations, and allows Spyderco more time (if needed) to perfect designs. Not really seeing a negative here.
+1 Fully agree.
Justin
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I think the new reveal method is pretty smart. Presumably with releases being prepared year round, that means there will constantly be reveal catalog supplements for people to talk about instead of just twice a year with the main and midyear catalogs.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Judging by the buzz I've seen since the first Reveal, I think the answer to the original question is, no.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

fanglekai wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:49 pm
Not a big deal. Knives will be for sale and I'll buy the ones that interest me.
what he said ^^^
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:40 am
Judging by the buzz I've seen since the first Reveal, I think the answer to the original question is, no.
I agree.
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:20 am
Current plan for the A'Dam meet is no change in the way Eric is running it.

sal

Understood, and appreciated. However there's a couple thousand spydienuts that won't be there are can't wait for the post-meet thread and discussions, and most importantly pictures. Can you confirm that we'll all be able to have that?

If this was already answered in another thread, bear with me, then I have just missed that.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

Eric is still deciding how to deal with the A'Dam show.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

At first hearing about the “Reveal” process I was a little bummed as well. I understand where Spyderco is coming from when individuals incessantly ask about the ETA of an announced new model (“Are we there yet!”).

Dealers put these under the “Coming Soon” category which I dislike due to the word “soon” which turns out to be a fairly relative term. I prefer just calling them “Upcoming” because at some point most will be “Delivered”.

I’m guessing the Amsterdam Meet will NOT have as many reveals as in the past which could be a letdown for many.

I think this whole “Reveal” process needs to be given a good 6-12 month trial before it can be reasonably “judged”.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Ric

Post by Ric »

As read from Sal often the development of a knife needs years. So internally Spyderco should have a plan what to produce 2019. So the data is there.
But to show all interferes with the new reveal.
PM2 tanto was revealed beside the new program and also that the Para 3 lightweight will come in more options.

That I find good. Reveals which I can buy quicker and mid-term plans announced to keep the anticipation high.

:)
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I was skeptical when the first announced it and a little disappointed when the 2019 catalog came out in Dec and nothing really new was in it. Now that the first reveal dropped I'm liking it. I think having steady product drops through the year will keep the excitement and discussion up.