Kapara, strong compression lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strider

Kapara, strong compression lock

Post by Strider »

Just received my Kapara recently. The compression lock on this thing is much harder to depress than I have experienced on any other knife. Has anyone else found this to be the case?
Forest Green

Re: Kapara, strong compression lock

Post by Forest Green »

Yes mine is very hard to depress, and the detent too stiff, blade would not fall closed with lock depressed, tried adjusting the pivot, but then there was blade play, which I could not get rid of, sent in to be repaired. Other than these two problems I love this knife. I'm hoping it will feel more like my PM2's and 3's when it is returned.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

In my experience, the compression lock on the Kapara isn't any harder to depress than on the PM2. It is, however, more sensitive to finger position: it works best if you place your finger all the way forward.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Coming from Taichung, it can be very useful to disassemble and clean/lube the knife to clean up and smooth out the action. At least in the case of my Kapara, this made mine into a free dropping smooth as glass powerhouse. But, yes, the lockbar is slightly harder to depress than all of my PM2's.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

MIne was a but stiff at first but with nothing but some spydie flicking repetition it smoothed up to equal my well broken in PM2. Very good action indeed after a little use.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Hey. Since I'm contemplating becoming a Kapara owner... any updates on the drop shuttiness (if that is a word)?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I don't like blades that drop shut. I like a small amount of smooth, uniform resistance and a pivot tight enough to take some pressure off the lock in times of hard use.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

neuronic wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:43 am
Hey. Since I'm contemplating becoming a Kapara owner... any updates on the drop shuttiness (if that is a word)?
I've not seen an example that was drop-shutty out of the box; the closing action feels more like a Ti frame lock knife.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I don't mean to derail this thread but man I want one of those, it really seems like Spyderco has a winner in that one.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Most reviews note it as not drop shutty but this one seems to fall shut out of the box, that's how I like them: https://youtu.be/lgmbdG1BaAY (at 7:25)
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 am
I don't mean to derail this thread but man I want one of those, it really seems like Spyderco has a winner in that one.
This is a winner, just wished it were a Golden Colorado production, seems like their compression locks are more advanced.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Forest Green wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:32 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
This is a winner, just wished it were a Golden Colorado production, seems like their compression locks are more advanced.
Back when the compression lock was young I recall Sal posting that it was a difficult item to manufacture correctly. It would make sense that Golden is best at it. I believe they have the most experience making compression locks out of all the Spyderco factories. Plus Sal and Eric are there to check quality.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The Amalgam's construction might offer some insight into what's needed to be really successful with a comp lock. It only has 3 screws, but incorporates a strap across the lock liner cutout to tie into the stop pin. It's really solid.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:50 pm
Forest Green wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:32 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Back when the compression lock was young I recall Sal posting that it was a difficult item to manufacture correctly. It would make sense that Golden is best at it. I believe they have the most experience making compression locks out of all the Spyderco factories. Plus Sal and Eric are there to check quality.
I think you're onto something there Bill. I know I, as well as many others have had difficulty with the action on the Sage 5 when first received as well. That's my only other Taichung made compression lock, but sounds like the same "issue"
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I think the pivots are just tighter on the Taichung models. Handled a Caribbean and it also would not "drop shut". I think something to keep in mind is that aside from just the compression lock, the Paramilitary 2 has a bushing pivot which contributes to limiting pivot tightness and making the action easier. I would think that the Taichung factory shouldn't be struggling with compression locks, given the number of compression lock models that have come out of Taichung.

Curlyhairedboy, I did think that was a pretty neat little detail when I took mine apart.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

There's also a fairly large difference in action between the Taichung compression models that have bearing pivots versus washer pivots.

I don't think it's the bearings alone that explain why the flippers will drop shut more easily than the washer models.

It took some tightening to remove any side-to-side play on the Caribbean I had, enough to significantly impact ease of opening. It's probably due to needing to break in, but there might be some lessons learned on the bearing models that could improve their washer brethren.

Still want a Kapara. it's so nice!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Could be that the compression lock spring is stiffer and applying more pressure on the tang?