Stretch3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Stretch3

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 pm
I'm Sad to hear that the bladeshape might be the reason, for me it's a big reason i like it. The ergos on the handle is great, but it's Just as great in the choked up position as my thumb rests Perfectly over the "hump" and i feel i have absolute control on the blade.
Doeswhat how dare you call it unatractive :P , it's what makes the knife special.
IMG_20190107_024710.jpg
I agree Sal please do not change the blade shape. We just need to get the word out somehow, I missed out on this knife family for a long time and am happy to own 3, soon to be 4, two in VG10 one in ZDP189 and a fourth, the first version of the Stretch in HAP40. I use my knives. I love this designs functionality so much in fact I have a problem now with the other 30 plus Spydercos I own.

For a while now I have been Grail knife buying in steels and use and with the thousands of dollars I have spent it frightens me that I just might, could have stopped right here with the Stretch.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:02 pm
Hi Mom & Doeswhatever,

The size was in between the Endura and Delica so the sales should have fit right in. I guessed that sales being slow had to be either the blade shape ( drop points are traditionally slower in sales ), or the finger choil, which the Endura and Delica don't have. When sales re not what they should be on a model that I designed, I like to know why, so I experiment to learn why.

The next test will be a stretch with an Endura blade shape. But it will still have the finger choil. Then there is the Endela, which does not have a finger choil.

sal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Continual refinement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind"
Hi Sal,

It may not be the choil because lots of us want choil on Endura. I think it’s the pricing. A stretch is always more expensive than Endura given the less blade length. If they are priced also between Endura and Delica, it may have better sales. Blade shape may be it, but hard to tell as it’s in the complete package (model, size, pricing) that determine final selling point. How it is compared to GB1 with similar handle shape and less pronounced choil?
The ‘funky’ blade shape is an acquired taste in my opinion, as per my own experience. Didn’t like it at first (plus the price) but when I got my first used VG10, it just clicked, followed with HAP40.

Hopefully you can find the key to help the sales. I like Stretch 1 better as shared in the other thread.

On side note, I also believe if Endura and Delica gets choil like the Byrd counterparts it will be better too. Handle shape for Endura and Delica received quite feedback on cramp in the middle hump, why not enlarge it like in Byrd, but keep it rounded as Seki’s ‘trademark’. This is just to emphasize the choil might not be the problem. Lots of users also reported using that area (on Endura or Delica) as choil but with less comfort. Giving them real choil may be a good change. Boomer also made this mod for the scale replacement, indicating enough demand (?). And better middle/ring finger placement on the longer center hump in the handle, like what Byrd has.
Chris :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anagarika wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:39 pm

It may not be the choil because lots of us want choil on Endura.....

On side note, I also believe if Endura and Delica gets choil like the Byrd counterparts it will be better too.....
Just my personal opinion, of course, but if there is one thing I strongly hope for in an Endura 5: PLEASE do NOT give it a choil!!

Let me explain: A choil in itself is not a bad thing of course at the moment you are actually using it. BUT: The (for me) huge downside of any 50:50 choil is that in a regular, not choked up grip your hand is always placed quite far away from the edge, which I really don´t like; I want to use my knifes most of the times in that regular grip, and choke up only for special tasks; I can do that without any problem on the Ricasso of the existing Endura, on other knifes I can even do that on the edge itself (despite all my edges are quite sharp normally).

Spyderco already has so many (maybe TOO many..) knifes featuring a choil, so please keep the Endura as it is for those of us who do not always want to carry knifes featuring choils...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:35 pm
The Stretch was a personal project for me. When the Stretch was in production, sales were not as I had hoped for. I found a few design flaws ( I felt they could be improved ) that I felt would improve the model. I found the finger choil was too shallow and the handle was a little tight for a larger hand. Many thought it foolish to re-tool, but I made the changes to the "2" version. Unfortunately sales are still slower than I think they should be so I'm going to experiment more.

sal
It may sound strange, but I think the Stretch never was a design that would sell itself in huge numbers, but rather contribute to create and keep that very special reputation Spyderco has and so help the sales generally...

As I stated in my thread "Stretch 1 / Stretch 2 - a little nostalgia..." (//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... +nostalgia ) already: I think the Stretch 1 somehow was" something unique even in the already unique (compared to other brands) Spyderco lineup imho. Somehow the essence of "functionality goes before optics". "

That´s an approach which many Spyderco-Fans love (and, like me, come to feel Spydercos are the best looking knifes also after some time, even if I did NOT think so at first), and the Stretch 1 somehow was a "symbol" for that - don´t care for the looks, just use and you´ll love it. That Spyderco dared to choose this approach is something that attracts one even more to Spyderco, makes him or her consequently - if not the stretch - purchase other, maybe more mainstream / smoother looking knifes or recommend them to newcomers in the knife world.

Imho the sales of the Stretch 2 did not went up like hoped, BECAUSE it was designed to be more "mainstream Spyderco" (which is a good thing in itself, don´t get me wrong!) - too many competitors in the own lineup, like the PM 2. What the Stretch 2 lacks on the other hand compared to the Stretch 1 is that "uniquness", and the very long usable edge (while still featuring a fingerchoil) in relation to the closed length. The Stretch 2 is longer when closed, has less usable edge and your hand is placed further away from the edge in a regular grip. That, again, is NOT bad in itself (and the Stretch 2 is a great design), but more like in already existing other models
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:56 am
anagarika wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:39 pm

It may not be the choil because lots of us want choil on Endura.....

On side note, I also believe if Endura and Delica gets choil like the Byrd counterparts it will be better too.....
Just my personal opinion, of course, but if there is one thing I strongly hope for in an Endura 5: PLEASE do NOT give it a choil!!

Let me explain: A choil in itself is not a bad thing of course at the moment you are actually using it. BUT: The (for me) huge downside of any 50:50 choil is that in a regular, not choked up grip your hand is always placed quite far away from the edge, which I really don´t like; I want to use my knifes most of the times in that regular grip, and choke up only for special tasks; I can do that without any problem on the Ricasso of the existing Endura, on other knifes I can even do that on the edge itself (despite all my edges are quite sharp normally).

Spyderco already has so many (maybe TOO many..) knifes featuring a choil, so please keep the Endura as it is for those of us who do not always want to carry knifes featuring choils...
I can understand your rationale and perhaps Sal will keep it choil-less. Just my wish as I love the Cara Cara handle form factor more and hope it goes into Endura also.
Chris :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

I have no plans to change the Stretch 2. Just to experiment with variations. I have no plans to put finger choils on the Endura family other than the D'Fly which does need one and the Police 4 which is its own breed. Eric and I have discussed this in great length and the "mainstream" is happy not being confused with them.

sal
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

sal wrote:
Hi Mom & Doeswhatever,

The size was in between the Endura and Delica so the sales should have fit right in. I guessed that sales being slow had to be either the blade shape ( drop points are traditionally slower in sales ), or the finger choil, which the Endura and Delica don't have. When sales re not what they should be on a model that I designed, I like to know why, so I experiment to learn why.

The next test will be a stretch with an Endura blade shape. But it will still have the finger choil. Then there is the Endela, which does not have a finger choil.

sal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Continual refinement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind"
A Stretch 2 with Endura blade shape? Count me in. The drop point blade is the reason I parted with mine, which is a shame because that handle was amazing!

Would it still be a flat ground blade, or would it be saber ground?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

More knife users just need to get the Stretch in their hands. Spyderco's ergos are top notch and it probably has the best of them all in mine.

The unique blade shape does everything well too. It has some flat, some belly and even a spear point. It typifies the form follows function ideal that I like so much about the brand.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:03 am
I have no plans to change the Stretch 2. Just to experiment with variations. I have no plans to put finger choils on the Endura family other than the D'Fly which does need one and the Police 4 which is its own breed. Eric and I have discussed this in great length and the "mainstream" is happy not being confused with them.

sal
Good to hear! So the Endela will be another knife in the Endura-family without a choil... Sign me in, I'll be the first one to buy... :)
/ And the Stretch 2 is a GREAT design, just for my personal likings and most of all my hand the Stretch 1 is a tad even better...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StuntZombie wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:37 am
sal wrote:

Would it still be a flat ground blade, or would it be saber ground?
FFG I strongly hope... think the Stretch-blade-shape could not really shine in SG...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My favorite is the Stretch 0.5 (UKPK drop point), but I find that as much as I love the look and concept of both the Stretch and UKPK drop point, neither has worked its way into my rotation... the cutting characteristics and blade ergos of the leaf shaped UKPK or PM2/Military just beat them out for my needs.

I doubt I'll ever get rid of my SB Stretch and I gifted a HAP40 one to a friend who hunts (he loves it), but it has never clicked to the point of buying multiple variants like so many other Spyderco designs have :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

" I designed the model for me and I'm somewhat obsessive/compulsive about my designs.
I'll keep the Stretch 2 as it is regardless of what else we try to create, because I like it the way it is. "
sal

That quote should be under the Sal Glesser statue in the knife makers Hall of Fame.
Love it lol
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:03 am

sal
Glad the Police 4 is getting some CQI with a choil now I can hold off buying a backup of the K390 I already own. Any chance of returning to VG-10 and Serrated variants with the Police4 ?

I have always appreciated the Spyderco 50/50 choil and count that as a reason to lean towards a purchase always.
sal

Post by sal »

I just received a prototype FRN Police 4 to test and evaluate. It sure is a unique, interesting design.

sal
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

😲
Picture or it didn't happen.
😂
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh yeah c’mon Sal! we gotta have a peek! Pleeaasseee :)
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:12 am
I just received a prototype FRN Police 4 to test and evaluate. It sure is a unique, interesting design.

sal
Awesome! :cool:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I love the Stretch 2 blade shape, but I don't own one because the steels aren't really appealing to me. If they did a solid SRS-15 sprint or some other unclad Cruwear-esque steel i'd be all over it. Same with a Strech Salt.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:02 pm
I designed the model for me and I'm somewhat obsessive/compulsive about my designs.

sal
Well I think you got it perfect the first time. Thanks for the great design.

BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

IMO the Stretch doesn't sell well because it's $15-$20 more than the Delica and Endura while being made of the same materials and having a virtually identical build. Unless you really, really need that exact style, why spend another $20? So people don't. Unless the price becomes more in line with the Endura, it's hard to imagine slight design tweaks making a difference in sales.