Knives that changed your minds - ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Knifes that changed your minds - ?

Post by Wartstein »

Just have to revive that thread I started more than half a year ago.

Why? Cause there is another knife on my "knives that changed your minds" list (see my original post for what I mean by that, if you like):

Endela SE. On serrations.

I always valued the short section of serrrations on my sabre grind Delica combo edge for certain tasks.
But now that I have been carrying and using my fully serrated , ffg Endela quite extensively, I must say: Spyderco serrations are much more usefull and much more universally practicable than I would have thought.

If they are properly sharpened, for me there is almost no task left where a plain edge would be noticable superior (maybe in things like very fine and detaillied whittling / wood work), but not too seldom the SE blade seems to cut better than the PE one (can´t say how much of this is due to the serrations and how much to the more acute (15 to 20 INCLUSIVE) angle though).

And a NOT properly sharpened SE knife (can remember this from my Delica CE, my Endela never got really dull yet) still "cuts" or better said "tears apart" stuff better than a dull PE knife.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:18 am
cycleguy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 am

Always thought Spyderdco was an ugly knife ... know they are the favorite.

CG
Same with me...at first did not know what to think about the looks, now I absolutely love that distinctive Spydercodesign and OTHER knifes look odd to me (wonder how many else took that path) -consequently I own only one single qualityfolder anymore that is NOT a Spyderco (Benchmade Minigrip).
Yep, same experience. When I first tried a delica, I thought it looked bizarre, and I was pretty sure I'd hate the backlock. Before I mostly carried liner/frame lock flippers, and thought I couldn't live without that flip. But the delica sold me on spyderco and on backlocks (really on non-liner locks). Now all other non-spydie knives looks so vanilla to me! I do still miss my flippers for fidgeting, though...really hoping I can get the detente right on my Sliverax.

Edit: My brother lost his beloved kershaw scallion a month ago, so I convinced him to take my para 3 lw to try out. He grumbled the same things: wierd sydie hole, wierd shape, no flipper, wierd lock. Two weeks later and he still hasn't given me the knife back...I'm thinking I may never see it again, and that's just fine with me!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Military S60V - This knife made me like Spyderco. The ergonomics and weight to size ratio are what sold me.

Para 2 - This knife made me decide to never purchase another compression lock

Pacific Salt - This knife made me realize what I perceived as a specialized knife (Marine use / general beater) is actually the perfect EDC for me.

Pacific Salt SE - This knife made me realize serrated knives are pretty nice when they're properly sharp. Since then I've carried SE more than PE, and I've come to prefer them.

C95 Manix - This knife made me realize a Spyderco lockback is a different beast than an old Buck 110. Smoother and easier to operate with one hand. I viewed them as quaint and outdated previously, thinking liner locks were superior across the board. My how times have changed.

Delica 4 / Endura 4 - These designs made me realize that Sal is human :p Previously I was enamoured with every one of his designs I tried for their amazing ergonomics. UKPK, Military...those are ergonomic masterpieces. These two, for me, are not.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Knives that changed your minds - ?

Post by Doc Dan »

Delica. I was still carrying a Benchmade and ordered a Delica on a lark. The Delica felt so good in my hand it made me realize that the so called blade to handle ratio BM touts was sheer nonsense. I never looked at anything but Spyderco after that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:37 pm
Paramilitary 2 in S35VN, S30V, M390, 52100 made me ditch the sebenzas.

Para 3 in S30V and M390 made me ditch the Paramilitary2.

Lionspy full sized in Elmax killed PM2 and Para3 in all Steels.

Military In CTS 204P killed Lionspy Full Sized.

Spydiechef In LC200N killed Military

Sals Stretch2 In VG10 has kicked everything out of the pocket!
Now sold the Para3 in M390

Sold both my Lionspy

Still have the Millie CTS-204P

Sold both Spydiechefs

STRETCH keeps cycling in and out.

Latest trouble maker for all knives = Delica in Cruwear, Lol how times change:)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The military made me like Spyderco and begin to re-accept liner locks. I too used to think Spyderco's were ugly and that the lineup lacked diversity of blade shape (tons of leaf shaped blades). But to this day I am constantly finding out about new models I didn't know existed and my ignorance is continuously being exposed.

Even after 20+ years of freehand sharpening, the s110v military made me a much better sharpener, forcing me to identify and address slight flaws in my technique. It also opened my eyes to a new world of edge retention, especially with coarse edges.

The pm2 turned me on to the compression lock (ease of use, tip down so no being stabbed from inadvertent openings), and made me realize the importance of having large washers in the pivot (I found myself re-tightening the pivots of pm2's more than the military - compression locks limit the size of one of the washers by design, however Spyderco uses 2 the same size. I am eager to install a larger washer on the size that has enough room and test the stability of the pivot after a period of hard use).

The pm2 also made me appreciate ergonomics much more than ever before. I found that the pm2 has hot spots and cramps my grip during hard cuts, despite being an ergonomic masterpiece in some ways. I now look for larger handles and rounded edges. I like to squeeze a knife handle as hard as I can and feel comfortable. The military and pm2 made me appreciate thumb ramps as well as the absence of thumb ramps. If my grip feels cramped using the thumb ramp on a pm2 sadly I will never experience a para 3.

The Byrd rescue 2 served as an enlightening reminder as to the importance of serrated edges. The 8cr13moV in my Byrds also toned down my steel snobbery some. The rescue 2 also made me appreciate a sheepsfoot blade for safety working in rough seas and the ability to engage in some worry-free light prying (no need to go grab a screwdriver, sheepsfoot sabre grind has you covered).

I only recently lost my H1 virginity and 3 more days until I have my first shaman in my hand. Another post in this thread is inevitable.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

most knives in this category didn’t treaty change my mind, but proved themselves worthy of exceptions.

the pacific salt is probably responsible for the most exceptions. when i bought it, it was the longest folder i had. it quickly opened me up to the merit of larger folders. i had also sworn off serrations, but made an exception since it would be my ocean knife. now i love serrations, although i still prefer pe for edc and typically carry one pe and one se every day. finally, i didn’t care for backlocks before the pacific salt. it’s still not my top choice, but they definitely have their place and i love my pacific salt.
the yojimbo has made me give up plenty of other preferences too. for example, the manix is the most perfect knife for me, ergonomically speaking, and the yojimbo is not very comfortable in hand. however, i forgive it because it is the coolest looking knife ever made and it is beautifully purpose built. the same goes for how it sits in the pocket. it does not sit nicely at all, but i put up with it because it is a work of art.
finally, the manix 2 didn’t really change my mind on anything, but it became my favorite knife ever made in a sea of overbuilt, tactical frame lock knives. in the words of matthew perry in the romcom fools rush in, its everything i never knew i always wanted. it’s almost perfect. the only way to improve it is to make a salt version in lc200n (preferably blacked out) and put screws in the lw handles.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SchizoidHorse9

Post by SchizoidHorse9 »

1: Ergonomics are (not) everything.
Before the Smock, if the ergos weren't perfect on a knife for me, I wouldn't every consider it. But the Smock so sold me on unique design and fantastic innovation. The button comp lock, corner flipper tab, and ball bearings totally pushed that knife over the edge for me. It's now one of my favorites and one of the most carried of my entire collection.

2: Carbon Fiber is (not) overrated.
I was totally okay with plain g-10 or FRN, and quite liked my (seemingly now) plain old CF Laminate, but once I got my hands on the Shaman Sprint, as well as a ZT0850, I find that real, chamfered CF is my favorite material by a significant margin, and I'm willing to pay extra for the luxury of it.

3: The Lock (doesn't) matter.
For a while I became a lock snob, where the only thing I wanted was a Frame Lock, Comp Lock, or Axis Lock. And while I still prefer a Comp lock over anything, I actually have come to love the Backlock and Liner Lock. Spyderco won me over with the Native, Endura, and Millie, for the Back and Liner, respectively.
Current Spydies:

Blurple S110v PM2, KW Green CTS-204p PM2, DLT Tan Satin 20cv PM2, DLT Red m390 PM2, BBS Blue Satin m390 PM2, DLT Red 20cv Manix2, BHQ Jade M4 Military, BHQ Jade M4 Yojimbo2, BHQ Jade M4 Native5, St. Nick's Red DLC 4v Lil Native Compression, Carbon Fiber s90v Shaman Sprint, LC200n Waterway, Blue-Gray V-Toku2 Endura Sprint, Purple Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Spydiechef, Ikuchi, Smock, Gayle Bradley 2, Sheepsfoot Caribbean PE, Dogtag Carbon Fiber, Red Check Tenacious, Cara Cara 2.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Lock snob, Lol I went through that phase as all my initial Spyderco’s had to be compression locks. A nice little cut from a small Sebenza turned me towards the compression lock big time.

Then I had a PM2 release on me while I was using it to cut plastic sheeting preparing for a hurricane. The boss interrupted me as I was pulling the blade back my thumb was previously pushing down on the lock as I was choked back on the handle to get some extra reach.

Let’s just say I developed a whole new appreciation for choils and lost my faith in the compression lock.

Now I use knives with the compression lock but am wary of hand placement.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Manix 2 LW changed my mind about the CBBL. A friend gifted me one, so I committed to using it as my work knife for a month, and fell in love with both the knife and the lock.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Manix 2, Cruwear. It was my first, (of many) Spyderco. One of the reasons I chose it was the ramp. I wasn’t convinced gaining the hole was worth the “ugly” hump. (I now appreciate and even like the look of said hump). But at the time I wasn’t yet sold. The Manix had enough of one to experience it yet not have the exaggerated look. I wasn’t concerned with it being a pocket hog so it’s width was of no concern. As a lefty, another big plus was the ambidextrous carry and use.
The Manix opened my eyes to how good the hole is, Spyderco quality and innovation, and as a bonus, Cruwear! I picked the Cruwear version more for the G10 than the steel. I knew it was a sprint, I knew the steel was supposed to be good but had no idea how much better it was until I started using it. Now I’m hooked on Cruwear and won’t even consider steels like 440,(unless it’s a traditional) aus8 etc.
B8E2E0D3-2592-4156-9FD3-1277B3ECE7FC.jpeg
It’s seen a lot of use, I even lent it to a friend for a few months to get him hooked on Spyderco. It worked, he and his wife are now loyal Spyderco users. It still gets in my rotation, as a matter of fact I’m carrying it today.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's always nice to hear stories of well loved Spydercos. Thanks for sharing.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A Tenacious turned my head specifically to Spyderco (then to other Spydies with leaf-shaped blades).

Then a PM2 turned my head specifically to pillar-and-slab construction (then to other Spydies with straight-spined blades).

Then a Pacific Salt turned my head specifically to FRN and the Spyderedge (then to other FRN Spydies and other Salts).

Then a Stretch turned my head specifically to the thoughtfulness that finds its way into every one of Sal’s designs (and that got me thinking about Eric, apples, and trees).

Then a Lil’ Native...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

Spyderhawk- I have always appreciated the cutting power of the spyderedge, when coupled with the hawkbill blade shape, I had a whole new outlook on what a knife can do. If ever that knife had to be pulled out in a self defence situation, God forbid, just the sight of the spyderhawk would hopefully deter any escalation of a bad situation.