Para or sage?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bigpapahh

Para or sage?

Post by bigpapahh »

I’m looking to pick up a nice edc. Just wondering what you all think, para or sage? Thank you.
ugaarguy

Re: Para or sage?

Post by ugaarguy »

I assume you're asking Para 3 vs Sage 5?

The Sage Line's less pronounced thumb ramp / blade hump is on of the big factors in why they're more comfortable in my hand. The Sage 5's G10/CF laminate scales are nicer looking and a little less pocket chewing than the Para 3's plain G10 scales. I like the Sage series' use of the deep carry wire clip over the standard hourglass pattern clip on the Para 3.

OTOH, if you like the looks and feel of the Para 3 it gives you far more options than the Sage 5. Blurple G10 scales and S110V is a regular production option. There are frequent sprints and exclusives of the Para 3 in different blade steels and handle colors. The standard 3 screw hole pattern clip means there are many aftermarket clips which will fit if you want change to something you like better.

The obvious answer is to buy both ☺️
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

They are both great options. Ergonomics are a bit different due to the more pronounced thumb ramp on the para 3. In my opinion the para 3 feels better in hand. Para 3 has more variations in handles and steel. Both have the compressionlock and have an outstanding build quality. Both are great choices. Can’t go wrong here.

My advice also would be buy both and rotate. You can choose a different steel for the para 3.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I own both and I'd like to add to what has already been said...the finger choil on the Sage 5 is also a bit deeper. For me, the ergos of the Sage 5 are a bit more comfortable...I also prefer the pocket clip on the Sage 5, though I prefer the thumb ramp of the Para 3.

But, I find myself carrying one of my various Para 3 models over the Sage 5 most of the time. For the same price and very similar size, ergos and lock you can get a better steel upgrade in a Para 3. I also prefer the shape of the Para 3 blade to the leaf shape of the Sage 5.

If you plan on using a lanyard, the Para 3 is also a better choice as the Sage 5 lanyard tube hole is tiny!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bigpapahh

Post by bigpapahh »

Thank you for the info. I’m a newbie with all the steel options and lingo. If only I could get both. But, I like options and sounds like the para 3 would be it.
ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:16 pm

The Sage Line's less pronounced thumb ramp / blade hump is on of the big factors in why they're more comfortable in my hand. The Sage 5's G10/CF laminate scales are nicer looking and a little less pocket chewing than the Para 3's plain G10 scales. I like the Sage series' use of the deep carry wire clip over the standard hourglass pattern clip on the Para 3.

OTOH, if you like the looks and feel of the Para 3 it gives you far more options than the Sage 5. Blurple G10 scales and S110V is a regular production option. There are frequent sprints and exclusives of the Para 3 in different blade steels and handle colors. The standard 3 screw hole pattern clip means there are many aftermarket clips which will fit if you want change to something you like better.

bigpapahh

Post by bigpapahh »

Thank you all for your input. Lots to think about. Also, lots to learn. Is there a thread on steel grades?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I think the Sage line is very comfortable for me.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Both are great. For edc, I’d pick the sage all day long. Great ergonomics and it’s more non knife person friendly.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Both are good choices but prefer the Stretch 2 over both of them in the general size you are looking in.
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

I'd go with the Para 3 as there are more options for colors and steels.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I have a Sage 5 and it's real nice. Limited steel for the Sage makes the Para 3 come out on top. I finished my Sage 5 collection in one purchase. Now if they started doing the same with steels to the Sage 5 then I'm seriously financially screwed. :eek:
Last edited by Crux on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I currently have a sage 1 and I like a good liner lock, unfortunately recently that have been relegated to budget offerings, a quality liner lock is a thing of beauty.
I have had a few para 3 and while it’s a perfectly good knife the sage feels more comfortable to my hand, feels more refined and carries better for my use.
That said someone could go the opposite way and I could see their point of view, both are great knives just slightly different useage cases.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Crux wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:50 pm
I have a Sage 5 and it's real nice. Limited steel for the Sage makes the Para 3 come out on top. I finished my Sage 4 collection in one purchase. Now if they started doing the same with steels to the Sage 5 then I'm seriously financially screwed. :eek:
bigpapahh

Post by bigpapahh »

I’m a newbie, could you explain the sprints and exclusives of the para 3? Thank you.
ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Crux

Post by Crux »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:17 am
I currently have a sage 1 and I like a good liner lock, unfortunately recently that have been relegated to budget offerings, a quality liner lock is a thing of beauty.
I have had a few para 3 and while it’s a perfectly good knife the sage feels more comfortable to my hand, feels more refined and carries better for my use.
That said someone could go the opposite way and I could see their point of view, both are great knives just slightly different useage cases.
The Sage 5 has a compression lock like the Para 3. That's why I bought it.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Crux wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:08 pm
Daveho wrote:
That is what sold me as well. Between the two if it really has to come down to it get both! Just Kidding :) :spyder: between the two the Para3 is a sturdier knife and there are some great steels available for it.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Crux wrote:
Daveho wrote:
Fair enough, in reality the Comp lock and liner lock are variations on a theme and the lock really isn’t the defining feature between the two knives.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:09 pm
Crux wrote:
Daveho wrote:
Fair enough, in reality the Comp lock and liner lock are variations on a theme and the lock really isn’t the defining feature between the two knives.
Depends, I'm totally sold on the compression lock over every other lock out there. I love the easy one-handed open and close and my Para 3s are perfectly adjusted.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Crux wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:17 pm
Daveho wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:09 pm
Crux wrote:
Daveho wrote:
Depends, I'm totally sold on the compression lock over every other lock out there. I love the easy one-handed open and close and my Para 3s are perfectly adjusted.
Fair enough-
I think for the most part the market lacks quality liner locks and the sage 1 is just that, for what it’s worth it opens and closes one handed with ease if that’s the yard stick you use, again because they are functional tthe same thing.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I had the compression lock sickness would not buy a knife without it. I missed out on allot of great knives. All better now :)