Bevel Angle/Finish for Rex 45 PM2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SleeplessInSoCal

Bevel Angle/Finish for Rex 45 PM2?

Post by SleeplessInSoCal »

Hi all,

Does anyone have any ideas about angle or grit for my PM2 in Rex 45?

It’s brand new, only having sliced about four feet or so of double-ply cardboard. But I want to sharpen it to a) shave off a bit of steel to get down to the good stuff, as I’ve read on here that a couple of sharpenings from factory new is where the magic starts, and b) I want the angle and grit to take the best advantage of this monster blade steel. Toothy? Mirror-finish? Looking for bionic performance and edge holding.

Basically want to plunge cut through car doors to rescue babies from terrorists, and then shave hair from President Trump’s arms later that evening when he’s presenting me with my Medal of Freedom. Shouldn’t be too much to ask, am I right?

Thanks,

John
ejames13

Re: Bevel Angle/Finish for Rex 45 PM2?

Post by ejames13 »

I kept the factory angle but ground a fresh bevel using the Spyderco diamond rods for the Sharpmaker, then finished with the medium ceramics. That produced a killer edge.

I'm looking forward to taking it to my Edge Pro soon and see how it does off the 220 or 400 grit stone.

This steel is hard enough you should easily be able to take it down to 15 degrees or less.
SleeplessInSoCal

ejames13 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:30 pm
I kept the factory angle but ground a fresh bevel using the Spyderco diamond rods for the Sharpmaker, then finished with the medium ceramics. That produced a killer edge.

I'm looking forward to taking it to my Edge Pro soon and see how it does off the 220 or 400 grit stone.

This steel is hard enough you should easily be able to take it down to 15 degrees or less.
Thanks for the reply! Is your factory edge greater than 15 degrees? Around what angle? I have no way of determining mine.
SleeplessInSoCal

ejames13 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks for your reply! It’s just that I’ve read that certain steels perform better with toothy finishes, and others with mirror finishes.

I only gave the Rex 45 and M390 PM2 knives so far, so was trying to get advice on which finish works best for each.