When is knife named after it´s designer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

When is knife named after it´s designer?

Post by Wartstein »

Not my most urgent question to be honest, but something that just crossed my mind nevertheless:

When Spydies are developed by or in collobaration with a specicfic maker, most times that reflects in the name of the knife (think Centofante, Brouwer, Gayle Bradley...)
One exception is the Kapara, designed by Alistair Phillips. Obviously the knife is not named after it´s designer.

Is this so, cause Alistair did not develop the knife specifically with or for Spyderco (his custom knife, the Redback, as I understand, existed before Spyderco acquired a licence to produce an almost identicall one)?
Or was Alistair just not interested in the knife being named after him?
Are their any "rules" to when a knife gets named after its designer and when it does not?
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Re: When is a knife-model named after it´s designer?

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:18 pm
N
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cubane

Re: When is knife named after it´s designer?

Post by Cubane »

Sal would have to answer this one from the Spyderco side of things. That model was already known as the Redback but that is already trademarked so it couldn't be named that. Kapara worked nicely as another name for the same thing. If you google "Spyderco Kapara" it is pretty evident who the designer is.

The Kapara isn't the only recent one.. the Drunken is there, the Amalgam. I guess also having a different name also means there aren't any issues if more collaborations are done with the same maker.

Alistair
Wartstein

Re: When is knife named after it´s designer?

Post by Wartstein »

Cubane wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:01 am
Sal would have to answer this one from the Spyderco side of things. That model was already known as the Redback but that is already trademarked so it couldn't be named that. Kapara worked nicely as another name for the same thing. If you google "Spyderco Kapara" it is pretty evident who the designer is.

The Kapara isn't the only recent one.. the Drunken is there, the Amalgam. I guess also having a different name also means there aren't any issues if more collaborations are done with the same maker.

Alistair
Designer himself chiming in, that's nice! :)
Thanks for your explanation.
And: I sure hope Spyderco will do more collaborations with you!